Any one what to go lion hunting?

Travis In Austin

when I was 16 or so, bunch of guys said, lets go shoot rabbits in the desert! Ok, say i. we jump in a couple gars filled with various guns and go to the desert. I borrow a gun and the guy show me how to shoot it. we all run around the desert for hours shooting like mad all over. blah, blah. then, for some reason a rabbit runs behind a little mesquite bush, but hes on MY SIDE of the bush. not far from me. i aim and shoot and hot the rabbit. he jumps in the air with a weird rapid twwitching which I see and then flops down. i run up to it to see what I killed, but it wasn't dead. standing over it, it is breathing like very very rapid, his eye looks up to me. at this moment all i feel inside is the pain and the suffering of this brown rascal, trying so hard to breath and he is asking me - why did you shoot me? what did I do to you? and my stomach is knotted to watch this little think suffering and I hear it crying at me. i wondered if it could be repaired? but no, it was dying too slow. I shot it again to make it stop breathing and make it stop asking me why.  I never again took a life with intention like that. just for fun, just to screwe around and just for a thrill. it made me sick for a long time to think of this rabbit. i began to understand that suffering is the same for animals as humans. why MAKE new suffering?

later in life i got pet dogs. oh my!!! i learn how animals love, how they feel, how they suffer, how they know humans, how they know we know them! this was the final straw for me to know that if dogs have such sensations and feelings, then arrdvark and zebra will too. and little brown rabbits. death happens, and even intentional death like beef cattles. but not with a hardness of heart, or intention of getting a thrill from the pain of animals. Nature involves death, but morality involves knowing it is not right to cause pain in exchange for mere excitement of our ego. because if we can do that to lions and bears, we can do it to any living thing we judge to be inferior to us.

if aliens ever do land on earth. we will slaughter them long before we know if they are good or bad. we will slaughter them like lions and rhinos and hang the alien head on wall.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

might as well have fun shooting them!! get excitement killing all the dogs in the area! mount they heads on the wall too!! sick? how is that sicker than murdering elks or lions for fun?

It's not. It's a social construct. Here in the States we keep dogs for pets and if you killed one and mounted its head you'd likely have one of the crazy's like Mia Farrow texting out your home address.

In countries around the world however, dogs are eaten.

Funny thing about that.  I went to a market where food dogs were sold on the island of Hainan.  I expected to be horrified.  But they were all the same and had no more appeal than chickens or beef cattle.   They had been bread for food for thousands of years and the "best friend" part wasn't there.  They paid no attention to anyone and just milled around.

No, didn't sample any.  Not being horrified didn't do anything for my appetite for dog.

Dave

Max2, on 30 Jul 2015 - 1:29 PM, said: BTW, the guy that killed Cecil has no morals. You mean, he didn't have your morals.

Thank the heavens!  Fortunately, I can't imagine the mindless arrogance of someone like that who thinks his killing way of life is THE right way that everyone would immediately and automatically understand and applaud his twisted sense of "bravery."  I wonder how much of a shock it is to suddenly have his life as he knew it, and his professional practice and his renown, come crashing down contrary to what ever insight he did or didn't have.

I see no way to offset concern with a revered animal's life with human tragedy.  One is one thing and the other is the other, and we must see each for what it is and not try to excuse one with the other.  Doesn't wash.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

Max2, on 30 Jul 2015 - 1:29 PM, said: BTW, the guy that killed Cecil has no morals. You mean, he didn't have your morals.

Thank the heavens!  Fortunately, I can't imagine the mindless arrogance of someone like that who thinks his killing way of life is THE right way that everyone would immediately and automatically understand and applaud his twisted sense of "bravery."  I wonder how much of a shock it is to suddenly have his life as he knew it, and his professional practice and his renown, come crashing down contrary to what ever insight he did or didn't have.

I see no way to offset concern with a revered animal's life with human tragedy.  One is one thing and the other is the other, and we must see each for what it is and not try to excuse one with the other.  Doesn't wash.

Call it "Karma."  People do have the right to criticize who they want and to refuse to transact with people who do not share similar standards of morality.  There are some in this country who want to change that.  The current trend seems to want to equate the injustice borne under slavery to the ostracism of gays by Christians.  I don't know how you ram acceptance of homosexuality down the throats of Christians.  It is an interesting proposition, but frankly, I do not see how ostracism done by a minority (most heteros will still bake the cake and make the $500) can be the equivalent of persecution.

Guest Steven1963

I don't know how you ram acceptance of homosexuality down the throats of Christians.

They did it here in my neighboring state of Oregon. $135,000 fine for not baking the cake for a homosexual wedding. Now if that isn't ramming it down throats I don't know what is.

Some background on this, if you get all of your news from the national news media, which may or may not have reported the details: That bakery had in the past knowingly baked cakes for homosexuals. There was no issue here. Where they invoked their freedom of religion is when a gay couple wanted a cake baked FOR A WEDDING. Well, apparently these Christians felt that they couldn't do that and still be in keeping with religious beliefs.

So much for freedom of association or freedom of religion. The inmates are running the asylum and unless you agree with their version of 'tolerance' you are shit out of luck. And in this case, out of business, bankrupt and no home.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 2

I don't know how you ram acceptance of homosexuality down the throats of Christians.

They did it here in my neighboring state of Oregon. $135,000 fine for not baking the cake for a homosexual wedding. Now if that isn't ramming it down throats I don't know what is.

Some background on this, if you get all of your news from the national news media, which may or may not have reported the details: That bakery had in the past knowingly baked cakes for homosexuals. There was no issue here. Where they invoked their freedom of religion is when a gay couple wanted a cake baked FOR A WEDDING. Well, apparently these Christians felt that they couldn't do that and still be in keeping with religious beliefs.

So much for freedom of association or freedom of religion. The inmates are running the asylum and unless you agree with their version of 'tolerance' you are shit out of luck. And in this case, out of business, bankrupt and no home.

Well-stated!  +1

BTW, the guy that killed Cecil has no morals.

You mean, he didn't have your morals.

I think you're just looking for an argument. Its almost like you're trying to tell us that Cecil never existed and the emails you sent out to this Dentist setting up his "trap" or demise never were on your e-mail server. Hmm, where have we heard that before. Oh yeah, it was from a skewed, self serving LIAR.  Sorry, but its not going to happen this round.

If you hunted solely for your food to provide for your family and yourself to survive, then anything goes. Fast forward 300 years for me though.  We have evolved even though there are areas of our big world that have not. This guy accomplished nothing, but pulling a trigger.  If 99.9% of the world see how low not only the killing of an endangered animal with no benefit is, yet how it was done and you cant see it, then maybe you're a major part of our problem. I am enjoying the BS in your posts and I must say you're basically confirming how skewed and out of touch a few are out there. Oh, BTW, your signature is spot on. 

Guest Steven1963

I'm looking for debate. I would have to disagree and say that humanity has done zero evolving in 300 years. If you've read my posts carefully, you'll see that I don't hunt, and don't understand it. But that doesn't mean I begrudge those that do. So while you might consider me part of the problem, I would disagree.

About my sig. Thanks. Yes. There are those who think because I say something in a thread I'm a bad person and somehow attacking them. So I have to spell it out for them. Sad really, that a person who has a view different from someone else that in order to share that view they have give out caveats. Wouldn't you agree?

Now, some questions for you based on your post. Would you claim that if you found yourself in a Katrina-like situation and didn't have anything to eat for say, 5 days, you wouldn't contemplate stealing some food from the local market that was abandoned? What if for instance, 30 days had passed and things are really, really bad. Would you say you've evolved enough to pass on that dog walking through the middle of the road; that you wouldn't kill it and feed it to your family?

What if that dog was your pet? Do you really think you've evolved that much?

Edited by Steven1963

You may 'get' what he is saying but it is what 'the media' propagandist want you to identify with...There are no shortages of Human beings and killing these majestic lions for sport is not a very 'manly' thing to do, but some will identify with it.

Why is it always propaganda to you?

As I said, I think what this dentist did is horrible, period. I also think that the outcry for that situation is way out of balance to the "outcry" for other more immediate and horrible acts that are currently on the radar.

Bill

I think it was propaganda because it labeled certain media groups as "MSM" and then went on to express a political opinion that had nothing to do with the thread. Seriously, anyone who thinks in those terms has bought into the game "the media" wants you to play...ALL of it now is "MSM," and I contend certain media outlets want folks to think they are the only harbingers of truth....

I also see that some want to carry on the discussion about Planned Parenthood in another thread and hope it's alowed to stand because I do have feelings on that subject as well.

I also understand why Klipsch doesn't want political topics discussed, because look at how political this one got and it's hard to keep track of ISIS, Planned Parenthood and the lion, not to mention all of the other things "the media" wants you/us to discuss.

Edited by Zen Traveler

I'm looking for debate. I would have to disagree and say that humanity has done zero evolving in 300 years. If you've read my posts carefully, you'll see that I don't hunt, and don't understand it. But that doesn't mean I begrudge those that do. So while you might consider me part of the problem, I would disagree.

About my sig. Thanks. Yes. There are those who think because I say something in a thread I'm a bad person and somehow attacking them. So I have to spell it out for them. Sad really, that a person who has a view different from someone else that in order to share that view they have give out caveats. Wouldn't you agree?

Now, some questions for you based on your post. Would you claim that if you found yourself in a Katrina-like situation and didn't have anything to eat for say, 5 days, you wouldn't contemplate stealing some food from the local market that was abandoned? What if for instance, 30 days had passed and things are really, really bad. Would you say you've evolved enough to pass on that dog walking through the middle of the road; that you wouldn't kill it and feed it to your family?

What if that dog was your pet? Do you really think you've evolved that much?

You're playing the woulda, shoulda, coulda game.  The reason people are pissed is because this guy needed nothing. His greed and sick sense of enjoyment were at the expense of an endangered animal. That is the problem. Stop creating these obtuse situations and "what ifs".  Anyone will eat anything if they are hungry enough although they very well could die trying to feed their family or even their dog or cat first. Decisions like that come from your heart and what is important to you. Not everything is about said self.  People die everyday sacrificing for others.    2 days in a desert and a human would try and get moisture from a jug of Penzoil. So what is your point?

My point was this guy had a 3 digit IQ. He knew better with his 50 large game kills and his past documented trouble of the poaching of a large Black Bear.  He was a loser at heart, stop protecting his actions and call a spade a spade.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Threads that serve no useful purpose or are used to inflame others will not be allowed.  You all know the rules.  They've been well established for a long time. So, far y'all are doing a decent job with keeping this on track per the OPs request.

might as well have fun shooting them!! get excitement killing all the dogs in the area! mount they heads on the wall too!! sick? how is that sicker than murdering elks or lions for fun?

It's not. It's a social construct. Here in the States we keep dogs for pets and if you killed one and mounted its head you'd likely have one of the crazy's like Mia Farrow texting out your home address.

Dogs may be eaten and probably have a few being digested here in the USA, but ANYONE who puts their head  on the wall is disturbed, regardless which country they live in.

• Moderators

That's why we have a warning system.  

Might as well shut this one down. Provoking others with bait in a non political setting is never going to end well.

We are doing our best to give a little leeway, and locking a thread is the last thing we want to do. 

• Moderators

hunting and murder for intentional joy arises in people who have no spirit. often called consciousness. they are dead inside EXCEPT for the ego, which tells them they alone are important. they have no established connection with the feelings of other living things. they do not see any connection at all. ego says, only I exist, only I matter, no other thing is more important than I.

others develope spirit inside. they develope a connection to lving things....comraderie? a wholeness that sees other lifes as different but not unimportant. look at a whale and see the intelligence, the caring, the feelings they show for their offsprings. Lions dogs cats have feelings and consciousness. we even love pets, which are just dogs and cats. how about we go dog hunting with bow and arrow and kill all dogs in the neighborhood? hey, they are less than lions, less than humans, might as well have fun shooting them!! get excitement killing all the dogs in the area! mount they heads on the wall too!! sick? how is that sicker than murdering elks or lions for fun?

I hope the big God has special punishment for such unfeeling people. a room alone for eternity with no other living things?

Like Earnest Hemmingway? Chuck Yeager? Bud Grant.

They get their own room?

i don't know much about the motivations of those people when they killed. but sure, if it was for a thrill of killing other living things, why not eternity alone? those names mean nothing by themselves. does writing books give on the right to murder? flying planes? i find it ridicilous to exhonerate a killer because of his other job. it tells me people are not equal, some are so special they cana't be judged.

notice, i did not recommend hell. only a room by themselves to contemplate that they might appreciate other lving things.

I am not aware of any country that considers killing an animal illegally to be murder, not even in India where in some areas animals are considered sacred. It can be described as many things, but muder isn't one of them. It has a particular meaning. There is a fundamental reason for this that relates to how society,values human life and incorporates that value into a legal system.

Here is ten more to add to the room.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-legendary-american-hunters-pics/

Teddy, Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, etc.

Guest Steven1963

My point was this guy had a 3 digit IQ. He knew better with his 50 large game kills and his past documented trouble of the poaching of a large Black Bear. He was a loser at heart, stop protecting his actions and call a spade a spade.

There you go. Was it necessary to attack my position before you could make yours known? It's not hard to state your position without trashing someone who takes the opposite stand.

I agree with you on certain levels. And perhaps I confused your post with others on here and thought you were also saying that hunting in general was archaic. Perhaps you are! And I would disagree. Does that threaten you to the point that you feel the need to interject personal accusations?

But I'm not protecting him. If you read my posts as you say you did, finding my 'BS' enjoyable, then you'd see I think there are far, far more important things going on in the world, and right here in our country, that are more deserving of some Lion losing its life.

Guest Steven1963

That's why we have a warning system.  

Might as well shut this one down. Provoking others with bait in a non political setting is never going to end well.

We are doing our best to give a little leeway, and locking a thread is the last thing we want to do.

A thread on the forums was just locked. Am I to assume warning points were issued prior to the lock?