Show us some pics of your tube gear

Wardsweb

My DIY single-ended KT88 tube amplifier that can run ultralinear or triode.  I built this one several years ago from a very nice kit that resulted from a long diyaudio thread. 

SE KT88 amp.jpg

SE KT88 amp inside.jpg

KT88 single ended diy parts.jpg

KT88 single ended diy parts 2.jpg

KT88 single ended diy parts 3.jpg

KT88 single ended diy parts 5.jpg

Of course, a shot with the vintage Genalex Gold Lion tubes made in England and vintage Mullard tubes made in England.

KT88 single ended diy Genalex England.jpg

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 2

Wright Sound Mono10 Power Amp

The Mono 10 is our rated at 10 watts RMS, this push-pull, all triode amp has low distortion and high reliability like all Wright Sound products. The amp is based on our popular single-ended designs, with components being changed to optimize this type of operation.

The amp runs Class A pp to about 6 watts, Class AB1 through 10 watts, and Class AB2 up to approximately 20 watts peak.

The driver (6BL7) is operated as low impedance, high output to handle low mu output triodes (2A3), with a 6SL7 used as a voltage amp/phase inverter. There is no global damping/feedback used, so the sound is fast and accurate by design and with the use of the Magnaquest™ output transformer.

When used with an unbalanced input, the phase inversion is done by percision resistors in a matrix sample and mix mode, meaning the phase is never more than 1% out of balance. In balanced input mode, it is truly balanced and does depend upon a balanced input source Priced per pair.

Tube Compliment
6SL7 voltage amp and phase inverter
6BL7 low-impedance driver
Pair 2A3 output tubes
5U4 rectifier

Specifications
Push-pull 2A3 power amplifier with low-impedance driver stage,
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- 1.0 dB @ rated output power
15 Hz to 35 kHz, +/- 1.5 dB @ one-watt output power
Input configuration: Unbalanced RCA or balanced XLR (rear-panel selectable)
Output impedance: 4, 8, 12, or 16 ohms
Output power: 10 watts rms, 20 watts peak (nominal)
Dimensions: 12 x 8 x 6.5 inches
Mains voltage: 117 volts ac, 50/60 Hz
Power dissipation: 110 watts (at idle)

Features

• Zero feedback design
  • Low hum
  • Output tubes heated with ac current to ensure even cathode emission
  • Easy operation with no adjustments of any kind required - ever
  • Power supply uses filter choke to ensure superior filtering and long component life
  • Point-to-point hand wired (always)
  • Self-biased output tube stage requires no balance adjustment and maximizes tube life

Wright Sound Mono 10 top.jpg

Wright Sound Mono 10 front.jpg

Wright Mono 10 amps.jpg

Wright Sound Mono 10 inside.jpg

Edited by Fjd

DIY RH84 wiring.

post-4542-0-28140000-1439005948_thumb.jp post-4542-0-33860000-1439006000_thumb.jp

DHT 45 breadboard circuit. The driver section is using a 6EA7 with a capacitor bridged Allied 10K 1.1 inter-stage transformer. James (6123HS?) universal output transformers, using the 5K primary tap. The variac is controlling the filament voltage for the 45's, voltage monitored with a DMM. (45s are expensive)

I would like to try a metal poly or film and foil in the 45 cathode/filament bypass spot next time around...there is Nichicon Fine gold (100uf?) 'lytics in the photo.

In various breadboard circuits I have swapped in polyprops for cathode bypassing, and de-coupling positions. My ears notice the difference over using electrolytics...more solid bass being the biggest difference.

The only bummer is size...

post-4542-0-65500000-1439007060_thumb.jp

I am always impressed in your efficient use of wire and how orderly your layout is in your amp builds. 

DIY RH84 wiring.

DSCN0991.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

DHT 45 breadboard circuit. The driver section is using a 6EA7 with a capacitor bridged Allied 10K 1.1 inter-stage transformer. James (6123HS?) universal output transformers, using the 5K primary tap. The variac is controlling the filament voltage for the 45's, voltage monitored with a DMM. (45s are expensive)

I would like to try a metal poly or film and foil in the 45 cathode/filament bypass spot next time around...there is Nichicon Fine gold (100uf?) 'lytics in the photo.

In various breadboard circuits I have swapped in polyprops for cathode bypassing, and de-coupling positions. My ears notice the difference over using electrolytics...more solid bass being the biggest difference.

The only bummer is size...

DHT 45.jpg

Edited by Fjd

I'm impressed with your collection of amplifiers...quite the stash.

Thanks. It has been an interesting journey and perspective for me and I have been very fortunate in my audio picking and fortunate to be able to dabble with DIY somewhat too. 

While we were kids our family really had a hard time first affording even a little tube radio, then latter a table top transistor radio let alone something like I’ve had the opportunity to own and use in my music reproduction systems today.

My brother and I heard our first “high end” music reproduction system when our mother would drag us along to visit one of her girlfriends whose husband would take the time to play music for us on his music reproduction system.  I still remember the holistic experience of reactions and general involvement in the music that I found listening to music on his Marantz 8b amp, Marantz 7c preamp, Thorens TD 124 turntable and big Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers.   

Today, I realize that “no such animal” can be found and called a perfect amplifier; however, just like quality appliances optimized for a certain job, I have found a whole lot of synergy by trying to create the best match of amplifier for the type of speaker, music, and listener experience that I envision and want to experience.  I realize I'm in the glass forum, but from time to time I find the desired experience may just involve a little sand. :ph34r:

One day I'll take the plunge. Have never owned tube gear and am somewhat intimidated by it due to lack of knowledge.

Are there good sounding ones at half decent prices (under or well under a thousand?).

Yes, you could get a decent tube integrated for a grand or under. Check out the Canuck Audio Mart. There is a lot of used gear and most sellers are honest hobbyists. Generally, no worries.

What is the tube compliment in the LP-27a?

I recently got this preamp and amp from Dennis Had and am driving Heresy III's. Now that he is retired he builds for pleasure and sells on that auction site.

25hiyzd.jpg20tmrts.jpg

I still have a Dynaco ST70 in pieces, waiting for a rebuild/upgrade.

My Moondog 2A3 amps are currently not in use as I sold my LaScalas last summer and haven't finished rebuilding the other pair of LS I bought for $100. Use a JM Merlin for the preamp on them.

Bruce

post-5045-0-57120000-1439174616_thumb.jp

• Like 1

One day I'll take the plunge. Have never owned tube gear and am somewhat intimidated by it due to lack of knowledge.

Are there good sounding ones at half decent prices (under or well under a thousand?).

Yes, you could get a decent tube integrated for a grand or under. Check out the Canuck Audio Mart. There is a lot of used gear and most sellers are honest hobbyists. Generally, no worries.

I'm one of those Honest hobbyists on CAM..lol

I have a MP-301 mk iii with good tube rolling options that YK might be interested in to get started for well under a 1000.

PM sent

post-47930-0-35040000-1439907697_thumb.j

Edited by ajoker2c

• 1 month later...

I still have a Dynaco ST70 in pieces, waiting for a rebuild/upgrade.

My Moondog 2A3 amps are currently not in use as I sold my LaScalas last summer and haven't finished rebuilding the other pair of LS I bought for $100. Use a JM Merlin for the preamp on them.

Bruce

Enjoyed those amps when I had them!!  I used them with a Ground Grid preamp with great results.  Glad to hear you still have them. :emotion-21: