Existential Audio Crisis

Thaddeus Smith

Its time Thad.  Its time for a set of K-horns or Jubs.  Just do it.

Ha! no place to put those things.

I have evenings where nothing sounds good. I have times that I look back on what I have invested in wood horns, drivers, tweeters, networks, amps, acoustic panels, etc., etc. and wonder just how far I have come from those stock Cornwalls I bought back in '86...... THEN, I have those times or "evenings" when everyone is asleep, the house is quiet, my room is silent, amp is warmed up and you suddenly hear something very faint in a recording you've never heard before and suddenly it all comes together and you know you cant go back. 

• Moderators

Does anyone else consider just scrapping all their gear, or drastically consolidating?

No.

I vote no also

Remember that I'll still have a pair of Heresy 2's with a very nice sub in the house at my disposal. My wife refuses to let me change that setup at all.

Ah the sensible one, listen to the wife.

It's the heat, you have been outside to much haven't you, go sit in the AC and think about these bad thoughts, it will pass.

• Like 2

It one of those things you know, get a simple system or headphone and you can still enjoy.  But, it is not the same, this is a hobby and their is pride in the gear selection, setup and it setup the atmosphere for listening.  The look of the setup is part of the experience.

• Moderators

After spending 18 months putting a system together I find myself thinking "is it really all worth it? should I just sell and buy a decent pair of headphones and call it a day?" I dreamed that more people would be interested in sharing it with me, but I usually just listen alone. I have hobby ADHD.

Does anyone else consider just scrapping all their gear, or drastically consolidating?

I have the space and spousal support.. I just find myself more and more apathetic towards having a system and wonder if an inexpensive dac and some headphones dangling off my laptop aren't sufficient enough.

You wouldn't ask that question if you owned Jubilees.

It is like being in a cave and seeing shadows dancing on the wall and having an "ah ha" moment.

I think the more relevant question is, "is the system" real, or is our perception of reality incapable of "seeing" what is real there.