Cornwall Pricing

vondy

Been on the lookout for some speakers for my brothers new home. Ran across some Cornwalls on Craigslist but I'm thinking they are overpriced. They claim to be 1966 Cornwall II. They are asking $1,500. Were CW IIs around in 66? I don't think id pay more than $1,000 for a pristine pair of CWs. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMO, I think 800 to 1000 is where the market is (for my area) given they are in very good condition. I paid 250 for a pair that were about a 6 on a scale from 1 to 10. I think it just depends on how motivated the seller is and what you are willing to pay..

too bad you're not local..........these are minty and the gentleman selling them seems very nice..( no affiliation)

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/5153074045.html

• Like 2

That does seem a bit high for sure, unless there have been major upgrades and in mint conditin.

I sold mine a few years back for $650. They were "stock" in good shape.

Just to kind of through this out there....if your looking for a speaker of that size, might want to also look at the Chorus I's or II's

They just plain kick.... can't go wrong with the Chorus line of speaker.....imho.......one of my top picks

Good luck, keep us posted...

MKP :-)

• Like 1

1966 Cornwall II speakers are the "vertical" type. The pair in question appear to be in excellent condition.

Are you familiar with the ad or just guessing the are verticals? I can email the owner for more info but wanted to get a sense of price first. I know my brother won't be spending $1,500 on anything. Maybe $800.

I've also been on the lookout for Corus II's for him. The cornwalls are on my route to his house which we are going to visit this weekend.

These will be going in his basement which is very open. Not for critical listening, more for his kids to watch movies and us to play when partying. He has Heresy II's upstairs.

Are you familiar with the ad or just guessing the are verticals?

The red directional "UP" arrows on the back indicate they are verticals.

Yep. What he said. And, at least from what I can see in the ad, they do appear to be in excellent condition. You just don't see 49 year old speakers with the original product literature still adhered to the backs.

My '67 vertical Cornwall pair are Decorator models, but dang those 15" Jensen woofers sound good... to my ears.

I have a pair of 1963's. They are the vertical type, matched pairs (mirror images of each other), with the orange arrows on back, Jensen P15LL woofers, chrome K77 tweeters, old bobbin style chokes in the network and cane grilles. 

How much will you take for them?

I would estimate approximately $800 for a pair of used CW's is fair. I acquired my Cornwall II's in a trade for a pair of KG4's and a pair of KG3's. Mine get used Monday thru Friday 9 to 5 at my work shop. I really enjoy them. I will be performing a Crites Cornscala upgrade soon.

nfs- one day I shall reveneer them and put them actually into service. I flew to Miami and picked these up as one of my first acquisitions.

Price is determined largely by condition, modifications, and location. And Condition.  Standard price used to be $500 for ones that work, move up from there, more for ones of historic interest.  I sold a pair of III's recently for $3000, NIB is $4000 from big daddy Klipsch. 

• Like 1