Driving the West Coast Highway (Oregon/California)?

Wolfbane

Travis, that looks like Bixby Creek Bridge…been there--great scenery.  Big Sur is another cool place…and of course, you can always hang a left at San Francisco and visit my beloved Oakland.  :D

I’m also a fan of Bodega Bay (where they filmed the movie The Birds), Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz.

I quite like San Francisco, but not sure where we will start heading inland this time. We may head east through Reno this time (never seen Reno). Santa Barbara was really nice too but we just over-nighted there in 2006 before pushing on to San Simeon and then north.

It's a great drive, but it takes a lot longer than travelling on the Interstate.  Most of the time, you'll be travelling at less than 50 mph/80 kph.

In 2002, I drove north from LA on the PCH, as far as San Francisco, then got onto I-5.  The Pacific Coast Highway is very scenic and very twisty, so you'll be using your brakes a lot.  When we got to San Francisco, my wheels were black with brake dust.

If you have time and are interested, you could check out the Hearst Castle.  It's not far off the PCH, and is said to be very stylish.

So, make sure your brakes and steering gear are in good order, and leave enough time that you won't feel any need to be in a hurry.

• Like 1

We plan to take more time this year on the way south and will be driving west, then south, then east. It will be about the journey. The direct route I used to do to AZ in two long days, flashing past Monument Valley, Zion National Park, etc. at full speed (especially if the women were sleeping).  ;)

you've more likely to run over a hippie
but please don’t…i’ve already been run over once…and it hurt…a lot. 

Yea, I'm sorry about that, but I was in a hurry to get to the grocery store for some cookies, cause I had the munchies really bad.....again, sorry dude...

• Like 1

The Tillamook area of Oregon is beautiful

i wholeheartedly agree…and mmmm, cheese

Tillamook makes great aged Cheddar Cheese. We can't get it here in Canada due to protective laws for dairy farmers here (think big sugar). The only better cheese from the Pacific NW I've had is the canned cheeses made and sold by WSU. If we drive through Spokane this time I'm picking some of the canned stuff at the WSU Bookstore there.

You are absolutely right....Cougar Gold is great stuff!!

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/

In California, Highway 1 is a superior experience to Highway 101. 

You can switch from 101 to 1 in Legget, CA. right after you exit the Avenue of the Giants, which no one should miss. It's a short 101 detour. From Legget, you can stay on 1 all the way through SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey and down to Pismo Beach. There are countless interesting stops on 1. Mendocino, Jenner, Tomales Bay, Point Reyes, Bolinas, Stinson Beach, Half Moon Bay, Pescadero, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, San Simeon, Cambria, and into Pismo. It's a challenging drive, and it is slow going, but I can't think of anywhere in the world with an ocean stretch to match it. I refer to it as "Pacific California". Most of it is rugged, rural, and gorgeous. Always cool, be sure to have a jacket. 

• Like 2

In California, Highway 1 is a superior experience to Highway 101. 

You can switch from 101 to 1 in Legget, CA. right after you exit the Avenue of the Giants, which no one should miss. It's a short 101 detour. From Legget, you can stay on 1 all the way through SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey and down to Pismo Beach. There are countless interesting stops on 1. Mendocino, Jenner, Tomales Bay, Point Reyes, Bolinas, Stinson Beach, Half Moon Bay, Pescadero, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, San Simeon, Cambria, and into Pismo. It's a challenging drive, and it is slow going, but I can't think of anywhere in the world with an ocean stretch to match it. I refer to it as "Pacific California". Most of it is rugged, rural, and gorgeous. Always cool, be sure to have a jacket.

oh yeah, love pismo...great memories there.

Done it twice, Washington to San Fran, and Oregon to San Fran. Jimbo's you're correct, but it depends on where you are. PCH 1 is more commonly used, but north of CA, it 101. While traveling through Washington and Oregon, you've more likely to run over a hippie than encounter of mud slide.

You shouldn't have to worry about the freaking camper crowds either, probably a great time of year to make the drive. Have fun, and be safe.

The Coast Hwy is great.  Beautiful scenery along the way.  I wouldn't stop at the Trees of Mystery though.  Took the kids there and it was a total waste of time.  And the people who worked there came off as quite RUDE.

If you happen to come to Orick Ca. you might want to slow down.  The elk have been known to bed down on the highway sometimes. 

If you have the time for eastward/inland excursion the Columbia River gorge is quite scenic.

The Columbia gorge is nice.  East of Portland.  If you do decide to check it out, Multnomah Falls offers a chance for some exercise and is enjoyable.  A little further up the road east is Hood River which has become a mecca for wind surfers.  But these are quite a way out of your proposed trip.

Edited by Taz

I advise that you wait until you are through driving for the day before you smoke the weed.

I've got no interest in smoking the stuff. I just don't want to be driving on the highways there if and or when others have legally smoked in Washington State. I learned pretty quickly not to be on the road after sunset in New Mexico a few years back. It was not weed there that was an issue, it was grog.  :)

• Moderators

Back in the 70s...Columbian Gold was good stuff...so i've heard people say. <_<

You stoner. It was $10 an oz for regular. Acapulco GOLD was 15, Panama Red was 20. Then it was Maui Wowie from kids returning from Christmas Vacation, and then an older brother or sister would come back from Humboldt for Spring Break.

A Bay Area radio station would announce the weekly cost of living report which included, among other things, a six pack of beer, a bag of pot, and an lp from Tower Records.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I advise that you wait until you are through driving for the day before you smoke the weed.

I've got no interest in smoking the stuff. I just don't want to be driving on the highways there if and or when others have legally smoked in Washington State. I learned pretty quickly not to be on the road after sunset in New Mexico a few years back. It was not weed there that was an issue, it was grog. :)

Yeah big difference. New Mexico has a big problem with Native Americans and driving under the influence. You sure don't eant to be on the road in Gallup on a Friday or Saturday night.

But pot is ok, they just drive too slow is all.

Medicinal os legal in CA, has been for years. Less than an oz has been a traffic ticket since '77.

Back in the 70s...Columbian Gold was good stuff...so i've heard people say. <_<

You stoner. It was $10 an oz for regular. Acapulco GOLD was 15, Panama Red was 20. Then it was Maui Wowie from kids returning from Christmas Vacation, and then an older brother or sister would come back from Humboldt for Spring Break.

A Bay Area radio station would announce the weekly cost of living report which included, among other things, a six pack of beer, a bag of pot, and an lp from Tower Records.

stoner… me?  you seem to remember the prices  :D

The Bay Area always had it’s finger on the pulse of pop culture. Plus some good music came out of there…Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna (which is almost Jefferson Airplane), Steve Miller, Santana, QuickSilver Messenger Service, The Tubes, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and one that I know Thebes would love…from my beloved Oakland…Tower of Power.  Proud of my roots.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Saw the Tubes anout 25 times, in very small bars. The Dead Kennedys and remember when Jello ran for mayor. Saw Boz Scaggs in several small bars, and Van Morrison lived in the Bay Area in the 70s. Par Simmons' father was the Principal at my Elementary School.

Dont forget, It's A Beautiful Day

• Like 1