what is this Jolida thing?

Matthews

Here is the main listening room

OMGosh, look at all of those tubes !!! 

...and those two beauties with wood sides and aluminum front, there they are :D - I want those

what about this little guy? 

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-toolshed-audio-renaissance4-pure-class-a-single-ended-stereo-amplifier-2015-10-23-amplifiers-53228-greenfield-wi

That looks sweet!

Struck an incredible deal with the builder.  A custom built Genesis 6, with out all of the bling.  Will be in aluminum plate and Walnut finish.

attachicon.gifGenesis6.jpg

https://instagram.com/toolshedaudio/

Which part of "cool your jets" (per Sheltie Dave) did you not comprehend??!!?? Didn't think you would slow down, but one can always hope! Your neighbors will be glad to hear that you are cutting back to 6 wpc! Hope you like it! Cool looking little amp!

• Like 1

Your neighbors will be glad to hear that you are cutting back to 6 wpc

Pure class A, my friend :D

Does not make any sense does it?  From 250 wpc to 6 wpc, have I lost my mind??? 

Talked on the phone with the builder for nearly 2 hours before making my decision.  This guy is the real deal!  So excited...

He has to finish his current build, then one more in front of mine.  Wait time?  Uhg!   - Going to a musical Christmas :emotion-51:

edit: oh yeah, and I get to watch it being built on the FB thingy (daily updates).  You can watch it too... https://www.facebook.com/ToolShedAmps/?fref=ts

Edited by Matthews

So much for your $600 budget. There is no sense in just getting your toes wet, may as well jump in. I feel you will be very satisfied with your purchase and pleasantly surprised.

Thanks, William.  I am pretty excited about this.  LOL :lol:  yes, my budget ?  I had to expand it just a bit.  Not as much as you may think though.  The Genesis 6, custom build (no bling bling) and to include upgraded output tubes (N.O.S. RCA "Black Box-Plate" 6W6GT's). ...all for $1000  - I could not pass this up -  A true Class A, single ended, pentode amplifier,  To my understanding "WOOHOO !!!"

The catch?  The builder needs sales and feedback for future Audiogon transactions.

Edited by Matthews

Since there are many young enough not to know the source of PWK's paraphrase I will explain it first as it make it much funnier...and shows PWK's extreme intelligence.  Thomas R. Marshall was VP of the US under Woodrow Wilson.  Like all VPs he sat in the Senate and banged the gavel from time to time and would be totally forgotten except for a quip made in front of the Senate during a heated debate about what the country needed. 

In a quiet moment, he spoke up in front of the Senate: "What this country needs is a really good five-cent cigar", provoking laughter.  Brought the house, er, Senate, down.

PWK was often heard to quip: "What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier."  It remains one of my favorites, both as paraphrase and in depth of technical astuteness.

Enjoy your little amp, Matthew.  PWK is smiling.

Dave

• Like 1

This mega watt amplifiers trend, especially for horn speakers, proves advertising sells.

True, "More is better" has always sold.  However, the power thing is also connected directly to AR and the development of the air suspension speaker that is FAR less efficient than horns or IB speakers that predated them.  Ported is more efficient, but still a lot less than horns.  Only the modified Helmhotz radiators (speaker experts correct me if there is another) could approach the efficiency of PWK's Heritage designs and their offspring.

The "Loudness" circuits that were ubiquitous in 60s, 70s, and 80s designs were also a response to this, as air suspension speakers tended to "recede" at lower volumes and the bass and treble boost was an attempt to help with this.

Dave

• Like 1

Klipsch speakers are that good and need good equipment for them to sound their best.

This was the deal maker!  (copied from my communication on Audiogon with builder, "ToolShedAmps").

"Hi Matt,

The face of the amp will look exactly like the Renaissance4, with power indicator light in the center, power switch on the left and warm (standby) switch on the right. Then the rest of the amp (aside from the wood and etched power transformer plate as on the Genesis6) will be exactly like the Genesis6, but in Aluminum/Walnut instead of the Brass/LeopardWood of the Genesis6. I will call it a "Genesis6 Custom" because it has way more in common with the Genesis6 than it does with the Renaissance4. If you look at my website, the specs for the Genesis6 are listed once you click on it. To sweeten the deal, I'll even ship it with a pair of my very favorite output tubes for this amp (N.O.S. RCA "Black Box-Plate" 6W6GT's. :) I KNOW for sure you have never heard an amp this good for $2500, much less a grand. Remember, it also has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, (you). :)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt."

his name is Matt, too :D

Matt, I hope you still plan on coming over on the 7th or 8th. You won't have the chance to see and hear this many lower powered high quality tube amps in many a moon. Part of our hobby and passion is learning about new things, kinda like seeing the sights along the trip you are taking.

We tend to cocoon a little at times. Don't be a stranger - we have about six folks dragging their amps in, so stop in!

• Like 1

We tend to cocoon a little at times. Don't be a stranger - we have about six folks dragging their amps in, so stop in!

Man, I wish my Genesis could be ready by then.  I would bring it to put up against the rest :)  - would certainly be an interesting outcome!  Once hooked up at home, it will likely never move...   who knows though, never say never :)

• 1 month later...

I had to post this.

I bought a Jolida Fusion 3502 a while back. It came with EL34, which I love. I recently installed KT-150 in it and rebiased. Holy cow! For a $1600 amp and $400 in additional tubes, it sounds amazing.

Absolutely one of the best low to mid level listening amps as well. Tremendous 3D, air and separation. Bass to die for in a tube amp. It's a killer deal.

post-62038-0-61960000-1451147697_thumb.j

• Like 1

I had to post this.

I bought a Jolida Fusion 3502 a while back. It came with EL34, which I love. I recently installed KT-150 in it and rebiased. Holy cow! For a $1600 amp and $400 in additional tubes, it sounds amazing.

Absolutely one of the best low to mid level listening amps as well. Tremendous 3D, air and separation. Bass to die for in a tube amp. It's a killer deal.

attachicon.gif20151221_120653 (1).jpg

What's the difference in EL34 and KT150?

EL-34 are a little more lush, softer and rounder overall. Bass is a little more puffy in comparison. EL-34 are very musical.

The KT-150 seem to combine the sweetness and musicality of the EL-34 with more extension top to bottom, more bass slam and detail without edginess. Definitely more air and 3D with the KT-150 and just a bigger and more open sound stage with clarity.

I bias them at 500 mA and I think they are not even running hard. I expect to get almost double the life out of the KT-150 as compared to the other tubes.

I had to post this.

attachicon.gif20151221_120653 (1).jpg

Edited by joeinid

I bias them at 500 mA

I highly doubt that.

Well the name would imply that one is a kinkless tetrode and the other is a pentode. BUT the KT150 is in fact not a kinkless tertrode as the name would imply, it is a pentode just like the EL34. I don't know why they market it as a "KT".  The difference? The KT150 has about 1/3 of the plate resistance compared to the EL34 giving it a lower Z out, hence the tighter bass.