Klipsch rb75 cherry set - $800 New Orleans

calhockey10

Bill, I don't want to call anyone names.  H o w e v e r, I honestly would like to understand the rationale for the bookshelf speakers at anything like that price.  Are the woofer and horn different from other similar-sized Klipsch (floorstanding) speakers?  Are they truly superior in terms of material or assembly or cabinetry, or something?

I mean, as I look at all the other good floorstanding speakers, for instance the KLF-30s, 20s (both often with sought after mods) at around that price (+/-), and the 10s much lower, I really do not understand.  And as so many of those who post here talk about soundstage, and presence, and big sound,  etc., if the RB-75 really is the equal of good and/or large floorstanding speakers, why do so many people vote for the floor models?

Now, I have never heard the 75, but I respect the very high evaluation of those who do know them.  I am struggling to understand the relative value, though, at $700 or $800.

There likely is something I don't know . . . .

Thanks.

Bill, I don't want to call anyone names.  H o w e v e r, I honestly would like to understand the rationale for the bookshelf speakers at anything like that price.  Are the woofer and horn different from other similar-sized Klipsch (floorstanding) speakers?  Are they truly superior in terms of material or assembly or cabinetry, or something?

I mean, as I look at all the other good floorstanding speakers, for instance the KLF-30s, 20s (both often with sought after mods) at around that price (+/-), and the 10s much lower, I really do not understand.  And as so many of those who post here talk about soundstage, and presence, and big sound,  etc., if the RB-75 really is the equal of good and/or large floorstanding speakers, why do so many people vote for the floor models?

Now, I have never heard the 75, but I respect the very high evaluation of those who do know them.  I am struggling to understand the relative value, though, at $700 or $800.

There likely is something I don't know . . . .

Thanks.

Of course I am giving you my opinion.  When I first got my 75's I had high expectations.  They have not disappointed me one bit.  They have met all my expectations and then some.

As mentioned before, when I added my RSW-10d to the mix, they got even better.

They are built solid(32lbs/ea) and surprisingly weigh 2 pounds more than the P-17B(30lbs/ea). They have a beautiful cherry finish, and also mentioned before, they sound big.

I know they're hard to find.

Their rarity on the used market also helps command a premium price.

I can't sit here and tell you that you would love them the way I do but if I had to sell all my Klipsch speakers today except for one pair, the 75's would stay.

I paid $650.00 shipped for mine and think for what I got that I got a bargain.

That is the best way I can explain my fondness of the RB-75's.

Bill 

Bet they do sound wonderful . . . like my floorstanding speakers. 

As many of you know, I am probably the RF-63's greatest "fan boy", and for good reason.  They sound fantastic from the bottom all the way to the top.  So my comparison carries a lot of weight I think.

Head to head my RB-75's vs my RF-63's, the 63's win.  

Head to head my RB-75's/RSW-10d combo vs RF-63's, no clear winner.  

Bill

Bill, I don't want to call anyone names. H o w e v e r, I honestly would like to understand the rationale for the bookshelf speakers at anything like that price. Are the woofer and horn different from other similar-sized Klipsch (floorstanding) speakers? Are they truly superior in terms of material or assembly or cabinetry, or something

The RB-75 "tweeter" has a 1.75 inch compression driver... And is essentially the same top end as the RF-7 floorstanding model (a $3200 pair of speakers when new). The only difference (from what I know) is the RB-75 uses a slightly different part number for the compression driver. That may be due to its slightly lower power handling (150 watts/600 watts) compared to the RF-7's (250 watts/1000 watts - continuous/peak)... or simply because it's in a different speaker? That I don't know.

That's a larger (and from most accounts much better) compression driver than anything else in the Klipsch lineup at that time (KLF20/30 had a 1.5 inch midrange). Only thing larger is the 2 inch "tweeter" compression driver in the Epic CF3/4 (another very well regarded speaker)... And the midrange in the new Palladium series.

People that have RB-75's and/or have heard them, swear by them... And those who don't have a pair, would like to have a pair. But they are very difficult to find.

• Like 1

I've used mine for heights for the last couple of years which worked great, but recently swapped locations with my RB-5s in the bedroom. They are really good bookshelves (aka mini towers) and I'm enjoying the difference in the bedroom.

Seen Cornwall bring much less. I have some 9.5 / 10 Oak Oil Chorus II that I can let go for 800, if someone wants to PM me.  

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have these. I can see them fetching 2x as much as RB35, but 4x as much?? Unless someone proves they should be AB to KLF30, I would rather have 4 pair of RB35.  :ph34r:

Edited by jweber

Looks to be many thoughts on them there bookshelf 75's, and I'm sure they do great for certain set-ups or limitations of such, but personally I'll stick with the RF-5's which need no stands.  AND half the usual going rate for them there rb-75's - IF & ONLY IF you can find them.  LOL

Jim,

I really do get where you are coming from.  I am all about the price/performance thing.

I have wanted RB-75's(in cherry) for as long as I have known about Klipsch speakers which is about 10 years.  As mentioned, I paid $650.00 shipped from Tacoma, Wa to Kissimmee, Fl which is about the going rate for 75's.  I just think they perform higher than their average price on the used market.  Did I mention that these things weigh 32 pounds each?  Just for another reference, the RF-5's weigh 60 pounds each.  And the $2000.00/each(msrp) Palladium P-17B weighs 30 pounds each.  All that equates to one solid bookshelf speaker. 

Bill