Pets providing emotional support

Bella

The real issue here isn't the pets but people faking or exploiting disabilities to gain an advantage.  This has become an issue at Disney World, up until recently where they tried to crack down on it, you can actually hire a disabled tour guide then claim they are family.  Boom, no more lines.  

• Moderators

I've heard of such animals in sit down restaurants and I don't mean fast food. If the day comes when an animal is allowed in the same room as myself as I eat, I'll promptly ask for the check and argue that I am not billed for anything I ordered but didn't consume up till the moment the animal was allowed in. And there will be no tip.

Hope you never lose your eyesight.

That is a whole different thing. No prts, no kids on the plane should be the rule.

A Seeing Eye dog should be allowed anywhere, anytime. They are a completely different thing. I have flown with them, dined with them, they disappear into the background.

• Like 3

You can definitely tell authentic service animals from the ones their owners claim to be. Very emotionally stable and friendly. And yes, as if they aren't even there. Contrast with Fido, who is jumping up and down trying to be the center of attention for 4 adults.

But a horse. On a plane. In first class. Why didn't anyone take any cell phone footage?

• Like 1

I love animals - when they are someone else's.  I learned at very young age that pets have short life spans, especially the furry ones.  A parrot or a tortoise on the other hand is a totally different scenario, but how "fun" are those?  I chose not to have the headache with the losses, nor the extra responsibility of caring for them.  I can play with &/or torment my friends' pets all I want and not have vet bills, yard clean up, pet hair, etc.

I chose to have kids instead with the understanding that they will - eventually - be self sufficient.  

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I've heard of such animals in sit down restaurants and I don't mean fast food. If the day comes when an animal is allowed in the same room as myself as I eat, I'll promptly ask for the check and argue that I am not billed for anything I ordered but didn't consume up till the moment the animal was allowed in. And there will be no tip.

Hope you never lose your eyesight.

Your point is well taken my friend, but most of us can tell and have sympathy for a person who is blind with a service animal, as opposed to the frauds/idiots who drag their cat through a mall, or try to bring a horse on an airplane.

The guy who brought the horse on the plane was blind.  He had a legitimate seeing eye horse.  It happened happened about ten years ago when the rules were changed for service animals for travel by the Department of Transportation.

• Moderators

You can definitely tell authentic service animals from the ones their owners claim to be. Very emotionally stable and friendly. And yes, as if they aren't even there. Contrast with Fido, who is jumping up and down trying to be the center of attention for 4 adults.

But a horse. On a plane. In first class. Why didn't anyone take any cell phone footage?

Because it happened ten years ago if it is the incident I am thinking off.  I don't think the article was too specific about when the horse incident occurred, and it was news at the time.

Here is what the DOJ tells business owners of what they can, and cannot do, with regard to animals:

http://www.ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm

• Moderators

The real issue here isn't the pets but people faking or exploiting disabilities to gain an advantage.  This has become an issue at Disney World, up until recently where they tried to crack down on it, you can actually hire a disabled tour guide then claim they are family.  Boom, no more lines.  

Really?  Karma is real, and it is a *****. 

People like that usually wonder why their kids are in prison.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Why choose a horse when a dog is so much better potty trained?  Or am I wrong and horses are just as good as dogs at that aspect? 

I don't think the blind typically go the  horse route at all.  There are long established seeing eye dog programs, raised and trained by volunteers, and I think it takes about 2 years to train them.  Typically Labradors or German Sheps from what I have seen.   I think they get about six to eight productive years from the dogs and then they are adopted by someone after that.  There was something about the blind individual with the horse, that they lived so much longer and that  is why he went that route. 

I just cannot see a horse, regardless of size, being able to do as much, and as well, as a certified seeing eye dog on average.  There are of course exceptions, a quick browse through Youtube is enough to see that.  I see a seeing eye dog about once a month (the Texas School for the Blind is in Austin), I have never seen a guide horse.

The guy who brought the horse on the plane was blind. He had a legitimate seeing eye horse. It happened happened about ten years ago when the rules were changed for service animals for travel by the Department of Transportation.

You've obviously done your homework, so thank you for updating the rest of us.

There's no need to keep beating a blind horse...

deadhorse_cartoon.gif

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Why choose a horse when a dog is so much better potty trained?  Or am I wrong and horses are just as good as dogs at that aspect? 

You are correct, horses cannot be potty trained.  A horse is one of the dumbest animals there is.

My "emotional support" :wub:   - The Boy & The Bean (aka Orion & Zelda).  My guardians, my angels, my best friends. Not to mention a pretty darn good security system for my Klipsch :P

attachicon.gifZandO.jpg

They are beautiful.

Isn't it amazing how incredibly attached we can become with these creatures, whether they be dogs, cats, etc?  I've had many dogs and cats, and the emotional connection that can develop is nothing short of stunning.  Some folks don't like dogs, some don't like cats, some don't like pets at all, but my opinion is that they are missing out on a very important relationship that they will never forget.

• Like 2