Pets providing emotional support

Bella

I've owned animals before and I understand the attachment a person can develop with them. Losing them is like losing a family member. Some people cannot function without them. Some cases seem a bit extreme. I was particularly astonished by the person who brought a miniature horse on plane and inconvenienced the first class passengers.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/12/07/people-are-faking-disabilities-to-fly-with-their-pets/?intcmp=hpbt4

From the article:  People gaming the system.....

While I certainly don't condone it, let's face it, the airlines have become so difficult to deal with, made it so difficult to be even marginally comfortable, raised prices, eliminated the little things like blankets and pillows, eliminated meals, that this sort of thing doesn't surprise me one bit.

I flew this past weekend from Chicago to Philly and back, and was amazed at the amount of people that are now being granted "Pre-boarding".....On both flights there were older folks that were using a cane, but were obviously still quite mobile, and were accompanied by no less than 5 or 6 family members, hangers on, whatever, that were also boarded with these folks.  People are going to try and gain an advantage however they can, due to the advantage that airlines are now taking of their customers.....Yes, we are the customers, paying for this service, but it sure doesn't feel like it......

It isn't just the airlines making these accommodations it's stores also. Service animals are becoming more and more 'necessary,' for whatever reason. And then of course, just like the article points out, it's being abused by the nefarious.

There was an incident locally....some gal with a cat.  On a leash.  Dragging it through the mall.  I understand the cat was not being cooperative and was essentially being dragged on its belly.

When confronted about it, she told people to buzz off....that it was a service cat.

My wife was there & saw it but I'm only getting her side of it (haven't read any story nor watched any video)

Really?  A service cat?

http://www.newspaperpost.com/2015/11/21/viral-video-of-cat-dragged-on-lea%E1%B5%B4h-through-%E1%B5%B4hopping-mall-cat-re%E1%B5%B4cued-and-%E1%B5%B4afe/

I've heard of such animals in sit down restaurants and I don't mean fast food. If the day comes when an animal is allowed in the same room as myself as I eat, I'll promptly ask for the check and argue that I am not billed for anything I ordered but didn't consume up till the moment the animal was allowed in. And there will be no tip.

• Like 1

I've heard of such animals in sit down restaurants and I don't mean fast food. If the day comes when an animal is allowed in the same room as myself as I eat, I'll promptly ask for the check and argue that I am not billed for anything I ordered but didn't consume up till the moment the animal was allowed in. And there will be no tip.

Hope you never lose your eyesight.

• Like 3

Your point is well taken my friend, but most of us can tell and have sympathy for a person who is blind with a service animal, as opposed to the frauds/idiots who drag their cat through a mall, or try to bring a horse on an airplane.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

Your point is well taken my friend, but most of us can tell a person who is blind with a service animal, as opposed to the frauds/idiots who drag their cat through a mall, or try to bring a horse on an airplane.

These days, you can buy service/therapy animal vests and badges online. No doctor's note required...

• Like 1

There was an incident locally....some gal with a cat.  On a leash.  Dragging it through the mall.  I understand the cat was not being cooperative and was essentially being dragged on its belly.

When confronted about it, she told people to buzz off....that it was a service cat.

My wife was there & saw it but I'm only getting her side of it (haven't read any story nor watched any video)

Really?  A service cat?

http://www.newspaperpost.com/2015/11/21/viral-video-of-cat-dragged-on-lea%E1%B5%B4h-through-%E1%B5%B4hopping-mall-cat-re%E1%B5%B4cued-and-%E1%B5%B4afe/

With out the cat, to drag around she obviously felt inferior. 

in my experience, you pay for ambiance these days.  fast food ($), you expect none. mid range ($$) - don't expect it. even a high end steak house has 'issues' today.

it is more and more difficult to go out for a nice evening without 'issues.'  

if we want a really nice evening meal with friends, we usually stay home and grill.  

now - going out for the show - that's priceless. lol

• Like 1