Pets providing emotional support

Bella

My "emotional support" :wub:   - The Boy & The Bean (aka Orion & Zelda).  My guardians, my angels, my best friends. Not to mention a pretty darn good security system for my Klipsch :P

attachicon.gifZandO.jpg

They are beautiful.

Isn't it amazing how incredibly attached we can become with these creatures, whether they be dogs, cats, etc?  I've had many dogs and cats, and the emotional connection that can develop is nothing short of stunning.  Some folks don't like dogs, some don't like cats, some don't like pets at all, but my opinion is that they are missing out on a very important relationship that they will never forget.

Years back I went to my local Toyota dealer for some parts. As I walked up to the parts dept. a BIG tabby cat came running up to me. He was meowing and rubbing all over my legs. I bent down to pet him and he jumped on my shoulders and was loving all over me like I was his long lost soul.. I couldn't get him off me... it was nuts... One of the service guys I know came out and got him off my shoulders.... I'm like dude what's up with the cat??? He told me he's been hanging around the dealer for a few days. They have been feeding him sandwich bits. While we were talking the cat was still all around my legs loving me. 

After I came out from the parts dept. he was still there....waiting for me.. He was meowing up a storm...he was telling me his whole life story... Every time I would say something to him he would meow back. It was really funny. Now here is where it gets really crazy... I said to him "hey you want to be a shop cat?" Meow Meow back at me... I said come on then as I started walking across the parking lot to my truck. He was right behind me... meowing away... I get to my truck and open the the driver's door. He jumps into the truck and walks over to the pass seat and sits down!! He was looking at me like OK lets go.. I was blown away I really could not believe what just happend. I was at a loss of just what went down.. I thought this must be a set-up.. this is some kind of trained cat... I'm on a TV show... 

So now I'm thinking what have I just got my self into.... I looked up at the sky and said "really"..... I looked at the cat in my pass seat and said to him... "OK I guess your gonna be my shop cat". 

I got into the truck started it up and was driving through the lot... all was good, cat was just chilling there. Once we got on the main road back to the shop he got alittle spooked. He jumped off the seat and went under it. I could hear him meowing... The shop was not to far of a ride just a few miles. When I got to the shop I figured I would open the door and he would jump out and follow me... Not so... I opened the pass door and he jumped out and ran off... Oh shitt now Iv'e done it... I went into the shop and told my wife what went down...She was looking at me like I had three eyes... She got alittle plate and put some milk into it. With in ten minutes he came back around. He lapped up the milk... but you could tell he was unsure of what was happening. I might have been his long lost soul.. but everything was new to him. Once we got him into the office I sat down and that's all it took. He was back on me.. Loving me. Loving me like no other cat has loved me. He was on my neck.. purring loudly. He was in my ear with his nose. It was almost too much.. He would not get off me. 

Now we could not take him home.. we had three cats at the house.... and this guy was BIG and he was a older cat. So we decided he would live at the shop. Wife went out got him a box some food. Even by the end of the day he really seemed to like it at the shop. The next morning when we came to work I could hear him meowing before I opened the door. It was really funny. I opened the door thinking he would run out... No.. all he wanted was me.. again all over me he really would not leave me alone. In the weeks that followed he made the shop his home... this is were he lived. He was litter trained. He was the master of the workshop. 

He took to everyone that came into the shop... all the customers.. he had to check them out. There were a few that did not like cats so I had to put him in the bay while they pain there bill. But most wanted him cuz he would love all. He was such a lover that we named him Romeo. We took him to the vet to get him all checked out and get his shots. Even the vet was blown away by this guy... The vet told us he was maybe 8-9 years old or so. He was and older big boy..

Like I said the loving this cat would give was on another level... no he wouldn't hump or anything like that... he was "fixed" But it seemed he couldn't get close enough to you... he had to have human contact.... lots of it..... especially me...lol lol..... He would drool...yes drool, and I mean alot.. when he got to loving ya the drooling would start...it was so bad you had to have a paper towl to wipe it up. 

Me and Romeo.. we were tight... we had a bond. Some say that cats are not like that... not true in this case.. Romeo lived at the shop allittle over 5 years. He started loosing weight and was not eating right in the later days of his life. The day came were I knew what I had to do. It got to the point where he could hardly walk. It was a very sad day... The bond that I had with animal was like no other... He made the bad days good and the good days better.. Even as I type this I'm a mess.... He was one of my best friends for those 5+ years.... My Romeo I miss him....

MKP :-)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This little Shorkie mutt provides needed emotional support for my GF. He's a good boy...

Shorkie.jpg

My girlfriend wanted a purse dog, so I got her one of these.

_ doberchaua 062.jpg

Edited by Fjd

This little Shorkie mutt provides needed emotional support for my GF. He's a good boy...

My girlfriend wanted a purse dog, so I got her one of these.

_ doberchaua 062.jpg

While I sent her the picture above and told her that was the dog I was bringing home, I actually got her this one.

_ our dog.jpg

Edited by Fjd

• Moderators

Emotional support, not our dog he drives me crazy but I did cause the problem.

We got him from the shelter and he was mostly house trained so to get him to go outside regularly I would give him a small treat, it was worth it. Then he loved to run around so I would give him a treat to come back in and it worked great.

Now anytime he goes outside he expects to get a treat when he comes back in. My wife taught him to roll over for a treat in one day, so she decide to try to get him to sing for a treat which he also learned very fast. 

Now anytime he comes in he will follow you around singing until you give him a treat, every time, even if he walks out then right back in. He will not stop, so to shut him up I give him a treat, he has trained me well.

This dog is good, he even has the UPS lady trained to give him treats., at one time he barked at her now he runs out and she gives him a treat. If were not home she leaves the package with a treat on top.  We work from home so the UPS lady is here almost everyday, she pulls up blowing the horn asking where is Parker, that's the little bad @sses name.

post-9700-0-85020000-1452914347_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Been married 40 years, gave my wife to be the first dog before we got married.  We have had 3 pairs Chihuahuas through the years, on our third set now, 4 years old bad boys.

Taking care of them till death is just part of being a responsible partner to them, even though it hurts like hell.  I have a strong feeling this set will outlive me, so my wife will have them after my journey.

We never did the kid thing, even though all of her sisters did, and all of siblings did except my little brother.  We have no regrets having pets instead of children, even though

raising responsible human beings is a very important job.

I ride the bus to work and there used to be a very nice blind lady that brought her seeing eye dog. A black lab named Cody. At first Cody didn't like any male humans. He wouldn't attack them, just bark to warn his master as he should. First time I ever met him, I knelt down to put myself at his level and held my hand to offer a sniff. After a minute and the o.k. signal from his boss, he slowly came up to me to make friends.

After a couple of days it was very hard to sit on the bus and not look at Cody watching me. When I smile at him he would get up and put his head in my lap for an ear-rubbins.

I already knew you're not supposed to pet service animals, so the only time I petted him was when he didn't have to work/guide her anywhere. And his handler was perfectly fine with that.

Only one time, when the bus stopped and everyone stood up to get off did he want more attention from me. I pointed to his handler and quietly said "Go to mom.". He immediately turned to go to work and that was that. No problems at all.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

"While I sent her the picture above and told her that was the dog I was bringing home, I actually got her this."

_ our dog.jpg

Is that a Yorkie?

Ewok had a black face when he was a little puppy.

attachicon.gifEwok pup.jpg

Ewok pup.jpg

She is a Yorkie-Poo; and since she is a little over two years old (five pounds in weight) she will probably stay these colors.  I was somewhat hesitant to get her, but she has been a pleasant surprise around the apartment and a bundle of constant energy.  I believe she is 3/4 Yorkshire Terrier and 1/4 Toy Poodle.  Ewok is a cute one too.