Antidepressants taken during pregnancy increase risk of autism by 87 percent

mustang guy

This was just released by JAMA. If you know anyone who is pregnant, and in their 2nd or 3rd trimester, please pass this on. If they are on certain antidepressants, they need to consult their prescribing physician immediately.

Here is the official JAMA article:

Antidepressant Use During Pregnancy and the Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Children

Here is another article on the subject:

Antidepressants taken during pregnancy increase risk of autism by 87 percent

I wanted to spread the word. 

• Like 1

Why isn't there 10 or even a 100  labs competing for the purest and safest vaccines for our children? Why isn't there answers for mercury being found in some of these?  Im certainly not anti-vaccine for anyone as my young son has and is going to continue to get all of his, but it makes you wonder. We just all walk in the pharmacy, DR.s office or wherever and get something something shot in our arm and they say its a Flu shot, but who actually knows what is in it?  There is no way of knowing what is in that vial they're drawing from.

There seems to be confusion regarding the significance of an 87% increase.  It does not mean that the risk of having a baby with ASD is 87% after taking antidepressants.  It means that the risk has increased by 87%.  For example, if the risk were 1 in 1000 (arbitrary hypothetical numbers for the illustration) without antidepressants, it goes to 1.87 in 1000 after antidepressants.

Whatever the actual risk is, almost doubling it is a significant increase.  If I were pregnant, or trying to get pregnant, I would avoid everything unnecessary; such as, aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, tobacco, etc.  Why take unnecessary chances?

ASD is a puzzling disorder.  IMO we're all somewhere on the spectrum.  Many famous and successful people are, or were, at, or near, the high end of the spectrum.  Not all ASD diagnosed individuals are like Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man.  The HBO film, Temple Grandin, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin_(film)), is excellent and offers a different perspective on ASD.

For the record, IMO all credible scientific evidence demonstrates that vaccines do not cause ASD.  Now, if those same scientists could figure out why the incidence appears to be increasing and what causes it, we'd be getting somewhere.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Why isn't there 10 or even a 100  labs competing for the purest and safest vaccines for our children? Why isn't there answers for mercury being found in some of these?  Im certainly not anti-vaccine for anyone as my young son has and is going to continue to get all of his, but it makes you wonder. We just all walk in the pharmacy, DR.s office or wherever and get something something shot in our arm and they say its a Flu shot, but who actually knows what is in it?  There is no way of knowing what is in that vial they're drawing from.

Mercury was replaced with aluminum...

Doesn't that make you feel better.

The answer why "mercury" is in vaccines can easily be found, at least it can if you are willing to look. Of course it is not always the answer some may want, and some would rather stick with what they believe, whether or not it is correct. There is indeed a form of mercury used as an ingredient for a preservative in vaccines, the body easily breaks it down, it is ethylmercury, distinctly different from the more toxic form that may be of concern to you.

Mercury was replaced with aluminum...

Doesn't that make you feel better.

Aluminum salts have been used in vaccines for many decades, you would get a larger dose in your daily drinking supply and food than from a vaccination....But hey give them something else to worry over Dave.

Aluminum salts have been used in vaccines for many decades, you would get a larger dose in your daily drinking supply and food than from a vaccination....But hey give them something else to worry over Dave.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22099159

I have a nephew with mild autism, but he has responded very well with the folks helping him in school (they are in Ireland). My wife works at an institution that cares for people of all ages who have varying disabilities. We aren't living on the fringes.

Do I think some vaccines are not safe? Possibly, but we dispense far more and in closer succession that in the past, which could be a greater problem from what I have read.

Bruce

The answer why "mercury" is in vaccines can easily be found, at least it can if you are willing to look. Of course it is not always the answer some may want, and some would rather stick with what they believe, whether or not it is correct. There is indeed a form of mercury used as an ingredient for a preservative in vaccines, the body easily breaks it down, it is ethylmercury, distinctly different from the more toxic form that may be of concern to you.

EM is still in your brain and hangs around for a good bit. I don't want it there and surely there is a better alternative than aluminum salts.   I also don't want Saccharine in my iced tea and wish I didn't consume red food coloring from the late 60's as a child even though I probably ate my share of leaded paint chips  :)  On the bright side it only took the Gov't multiple decades to finally give in and say, maybe this chit isn't good for us.  What about the harsh chemicals in cleaning solutions? You know the stuff that dam near takes you to the floor when you spray down the shower with it?  That has to be bad when absorbed in your lungs

I think we should question everything.

As a child of the 60's, autism wasn't around, at least in the shear numbers it is today. And what about this Tree nut allergy?  I never knew anyone that was allergic to peanuts growing up and now they say almost 2.5% of all kids have it today. Heck, everyone got a PBJ growing up, the whole class just got one, they didn't ask you.

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

EM is still in your brain and hangs around for a good bit. I don't want it there and surely there is a better alternative than aluminum salts.   I also don't want Saccharine in my iced tea and wish I didn't consume red food coloring from the late 60's as a child even though I probably ate my share of leaded paint chips  :)  On the bright side it only took the Gov't multiple decades to finally give in and say, maybe this chit isn't good for us.  What about the harsh chemicals in cleaning solutions? You know the stuff that dam near takes you to the floor when you spray down the shower with it?  That has to be bad when absorbed in your lungs

As a child of the 60's, autism wasn't around, at least in the shear numbers it is today. And what about this Tree nut allergy?  I never knew anyone that was allergic to peanuts growing up and now they say almost 2.5% of all kids have it today. Heck, everyone got a PBJ growing up, the whole class just got one, they didn't ask you.

Peanuts are not tree nuts or nuts at all, they are in the bean family.

Peanuts are not tree nuts or nuts at all, they are in the bean family.

That is a good point. What would be worse, a tree nut allergy or a peanut allergy?   I guess cross contamination may nix you out of all of it.

• Like 1

There is no way to truly identify the cause of increased autism.  If you look at the enormous increase in environmental man-made chemicals over the past 60 years or so (supposedly more than 80,000 in use currently to which we are exposed 24/7), most of which have not been safety tested, many of which the EPA isn't even aware of, and the totally unknown interactions between those chemicals as well as interactions between those chemicals and the abundant medications which people now use, you can see that we're spitting into the wind.  Now we have genetically modified food, the effects of which are unknown, glyphosate (Roundup) being used in quantities which have previously been shown to be dangerous, more forced vaccinations than ever, pesticides/herbicides with horrific potency on our food (I just read that 2 of the key ingredients of Agent Orange are now approved for use on US crops), it is obvious (at least to me) that there is no way to find a single causative agent for any medical condition.

Maynard

• Like 2

There is no way to truly identify the cause of increased autism.  If you look at the enormous increase in environmental man-made chemicals over the past 60 years or so (supposedly more than 80,000 in use currently to which we are exposed 24/7), most of which have not been safety tested, many of which the EPA isn't even aware of, and the totally unknown interactions between those chemicals as well as interactions between those chemicals and the abundant medications which people now use, you can see that we're spitting into the wind.  Now we have genetically modified food, the effects of which are unknown, glyphosate (Roundup) being used in quantities which have previously been shown to be dangerous, more forced vaccinations than ever, pesticides/herbicides with horrific potency on our food (I just read that 2 of the key ingredients of Agent Orange are now approved for use on US crops), it is obvious (at least to me) that there is no way to find a single causative agent for any medical condition.

Maynard

Is it just my thinking or can the Earth not handle a 100 year average life span for us all? I sure as heck know Social security cant.  Could it be that we cant handle "cures" for all the cancers and what not?  Could it be that all this research for what terminally ales us all is really being impeded the powers that be?

Maybe Maynard nailed it and all the new chemical concoctions that are "putting us down early" have yet to be identified of their true dangers and its just a systematic approach to keep the die off in check.

Edited by Max2

People need to realize as the average age before death increases there will need to be a form of population control. Which means people need to stop popping kids out that don't need to be. I see so many people that reproduce that shouldn't whether they can't financially support the kids or they just are too retarded to have kids.

My messed up opinion is that the stupid people breeding far out weight the smart ones. We are all doomed.

• Like 1