I suck less than I did @ fence building

USNRET

We had a survey done this past Fall... $1,100. That got us certified copies of the work. We didn'thave one done when we bought the house two years ago.

Most of the owners were original to the neighborhood, early '60s. Had a limb come off a huge oak, ripped power off neighbors house. Other neighbor cut it up, I paid someone yo haul it off cause he says the two tree are on my property.

Survey says... NOPE, they are his trees. Thing is, they need to come down but he won't do it.

Bruce

I'm dealing with my fuckhead next door neighbor on this same deal. A few years ago his tree was growing onto my roof. He was tied to my chimney with a garden hose trying to cut it off. I got a quote for $1200 to take the branch off and he agreed to pay half. I paid the bill and he came back with"I checked with my attorney and anything over the property line is not my problem. Now he has 2 trees that are dead anfd wants to use my driveway to have them removed. I said ***** off. I have my mom with me so she feels bad for the guys having to do the work so she tells them OK. I just got home and she asked me to park across the street so they can get their equipment in. She said if looks could kill, she'd be dead, I'm so f*ucking pissed I can't see straight

Mark

You need a barking dog, a few pet pigs and a few Ginkgo trees growing over to his house. 

Is that your yard ? I always thought the frame of the fence went facing the neighbors so you get the pretty side. 

It is looking good.  :emotion-21:

THAT my friends has been a matter of major discussion between many folks while getting this done.

Pretty side is 'pretty' but gives steps to anyone who wants to jump the fence; security.

Looking out my back door I have the left side ugly to me and the back pretty to me (both built by the adjoining neighbors).

In the end I decided to go ugly on the right side I am building to make the left and right match.

As of now the kiddos are leaning towards a male German Shepherd pup.

Is that your yard ? I always thought the frame of the fence went facing the neighbors so you get the pretty side. 

It is looking good.  :emotion-21:

Hey, I've got a great idea. Why not plant some Leyland Cypress to cover up that ugly fence!

Kidding. Looks great to me. That's how I built mine. Over the years as the lumber ages the smooth side will show the movement of the lumber. Then your side will be even prettier. Nice work.

Keith

The fence was mostly about the dog and that needed to serve two purposes; keep the dog in and the predators out (packs of coyotes). Additionally, my house is situated in a manner that the back yard serves as a collector of all manner of wind blown debris so th efence will help with that as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kieth. Now the wife in her wisdom wanted me to paint the front fence to match our front door (a very dark blue) and that AIN"T happening but I am considering doing that to the pickets only on the gate and only if I add the barn door effect. The gate pickets are cedar and I hear that painting is really not an option. Perhaps replacing gate pickets with pressure treated pine in order to paint to match the color; replace the pickets, allow to dry, prime and paint then apply the 1x6 or 2x6 cedar barn door treatment. Thoughts? Applied effects across the front would be something like on this gate:

post-19886-0-72480000-1454881568_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

I'd leave it natural, as far as paint goes. It would never need repainting. The only downside to a wood fence, IMO, is how it weathers years down the road. I like the way it looks now. If I had it to do over I think I would investigate a sealer that would prolong the natural look. Spraying it on might not be too big a job.

Keith

I'd leave it natural, as far as paint goes. It would never need repainting. The only downside to a wood fence, IMO, is how it weathers years down the road. I like the way it looks now. If I had it to do over I think I would investigate a sealer that would prolong the natural look. Spraying it on might not be too big a job.

Keith

My plan is to let it dry for about a month and then spray a clear preservative inside and outside using a garden sprayer.