Superbowl 50 - 2016

wvu80

Maybe Cam will learn some humility, grace and good manners as he matures

Nope, he said he's a sore loser and if you weren't one then you were basically a loser.  He has no plans to change.  Supposedly he's like that after every loss but it's not as publicized.

I played the game for a decade. When Temple turned 10 and showed an interest in Flag, I ended up coaching the same group of kids for 56 games. We went 48-8. The league placed an emphasis on "win or lose, remember to have fun". Having never coached before, I had to decide what to say to these young kids and parents.

"I'm Coach Dean. This is a learning year. I played for a long time and I'll teach you everything I know. Never be afraid to ask a question, I love answering questions. Learning is fun, so is playing - with that in mind, can I ask you a question?"

"Is losing fun?"

Everyone, including parents - shake their heads from side to side.

"The harder you play, and the more it means to you - the more it hurts when you lose. I want you to be the kind of players that cry when you lose. If I can't get you to love the game that much, then I've failed as a coach. But knowledge will save you from that kind of pain - so pay attention - because winning is so much better, and there isn't anything fun about losing."

Then I sent the kids out to run around with the ball while I talked to the parents. One parent said, "you DO realize that they're only ten years old?"

Oops.

I just didn't want them to see losing as something acceptable.

After a loss, I would brood and isolate myself. As a coach, it wasn't quite as bad, but still pretty miserable. I totally get where Cam is coming from - only "a loser" accepts defeat. I used to only say, "They brought their 'A' game and we didn't." What else is there to say?

The first year we won every game except two; the first one and the last one. The last game was played in Paul Brown Stadium as part of a regional playoff. We had three TDs taken away from us - they were terrible calls. After the game, the team went to sit on some rolled up mats in the End Zone while I went over to give the Refs an ear full. When I walked back over to where they were sitting -- they were all crying -- every one of them. Kameron, who went by 'ATM', or Automatic Touchdown Machine, looked up at me, and with tears streaming down his face, said, "never again Coach, never again". McKenzie and Temple, as always, were sitting shoulder to shoulder -- I knew they were looking at me, but there was no way I was going to make eye contact with either one of them.

So, did I coach up a bunch of "sore losers"? Crying, brooding, and walking away doesn't make you "a sore loser". What makes you a sore loser is whining, complaining, placing blame, etc. CAM didn't do any of those things. There's no crime in wanting to be left alone -- and not willing to deal with assinine media people after the toughest loss in your career is not being "a sore loser" either. Some players just need more than a flipping half hour to deal with something like that.

• Like 1

I think you touched on something there. Maybe we have forgotten what it's like to be a whopping 24 years old. Cam is still very young. He and the Panthers had a hell of a year going 14-2. That was best in the NFL. Won the MVP. All that and 24 years old. He'll get better at press conferences. He might even get better at football.

• Like 2

Cam is a great talent and a physical specimen. I love watching him play but can't stand his antics. He'll be back to the big game for sure and probably handle it better next time.

There's the rub; you really don't know when, or even if you'll be back.  One of the most prolific QB's of all time Dan Marino famously made it to the Super Bowl in his rookie year.  He never made it back there again.

The Panthers made the playoffs in 2014 with a sub-500 record by winning their division at 7-8-1. They went 15-1 this year with a weaker schedule.  If there's one thing the NFL does best, it's parity.  Both the Panthers and Broncos will have tougher schedules next year and both will have a tough time returning to the Big Dance.

The NFL doesn't care about the Panthers, the Broncos or anybody else.  The care about protecting the NFL Shield and growing their revenues and parity gives weaker teams a chance to make the playoffs, thus more interest in the league. 

The Panthers should win the weak NFC South next season and make the playoffs, but getting back to the Super Bowl?  That's going to be tough.

• Like 1

What makes you a sore loser is whining, complaining, placing blame, etc. CAM didn't do any of those things.

I see the making of an iconoclast here. A different kind of individual who isn't going to let himself be dragged into someone else's traditions. And, let's face it, some guys are not natural press hounds. 

There's the rub; you really don't know when, or even if you'll be back.

Well, I suppose you're right, there's no guarantees however they're currently the most favored team (odds wise) to go back next year from either division.  Barring injury, Cam should have an outstanding career.  He has all the tools.

there's no guarantees however they're currently the most favored team (odds wise) to go back next year from either division. Barring injury, Cam should have an outstanding career. He has all the tools.

I didn't hear that, but then again after the SB was over I didn't listen to all the talking heads on the sports shows.  Despite their record, I didn't think they were the best team in the NFC playoffs, but obviously they were.

I wonder which AFC team would be favored?  I wouldn't think it would be the Broncos, maybe New England, or even Pittsburgh?