Can you hear it?

NBPK402

The other night a friend and I were listening to Dire Straits Ride across the river off of the Brothers in arms 5.1 SACD... at 2:14-2:16 we heard a voice that we have never heard before (we have listened to this song at least a thousand times over the years), even on systems costing well over $100k. I played the stereo SACD version, and we heard it again (just not as loud as it was on the 5.1 version). We then listened to the original CD version and it was there too, but even lower in volume. 

Have you heard the voice, too?

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

Maybe they heard it and left it in.

Strange that this was not caught in the mixdown.

Maybe either, but could have been the crappy studio monitors not revealing it to the so called masters  :)   You cant hide anything from an unforgiving horn and its a shame so many are missing out on so much.

Maybe they heard it and left it in.

Strange that this was not caught in the mixdown.

Maybe either, but could have been the crappy studio monitors not revealing it to the so called masters  :)   You cant hide anything from an unforgiving horn and its a shame so many are missing out on so much.

This is so true. I've been listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here for 30+ years. When I first heard the album on my Klipsch speakers a few years ago, I heard 2 cymbal parts of a song I've never noticed before, plus never felt all that bass before in the song Welcome to the Machine. Pretty amazing actually.

• Like 1

There's a Flaming Lips song, can't recall specifically which one, where you can hear someone's wrist watch beep in the background. Pretty obvious though...don't need horns to pick it out.

Vince Guarldi Trio has a song where the studio apparently forgot to high pass all the mics, and there's enough bleed through of the traffic passing by from outside the studio to practically blow up a subwoofer.

Pink Floyd albums are usually littered with Easter eggs. B)

• Like 1

The other night a friend and I were listening to Dire Straits Ride across the river off of the Brothers in arms 5.1 SACD... at 2:14-2:16 we heard a voice that we have never heard before (we have listened to this song at least a thousand times over the years), even on systems costing well over $100k. I played the stereo SACD version, and we heard it again (just not as loud as it was on the 5.1 version). We then listened to the original CD version and it was there too, but even lower in volume. 

I have found the same results.  

CD layer----barely noticeable

SACD stereo----noticeable

SACD 5.1----very clear

Funny that CD/SACD and particularly that song is at the top of my demo sources.

Bill

• Like 1

I have found the same results.  

CD layer----barely noticeable

SACD stereo----noticeable

SACD 5.1----very clear

Funny that CD/SACD and particularly that song is at the top of my demo sources.

Bill

Isn't it funny that you can be very familiar with a song, and then one day find out there was something you have been missing all along in the song... :)

Challenge #2:

This site has some nice tests to see what the softest sound you can hear in your room is (e.g. the audible dynamic range):

http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_dynamic.php?dyna=72

I scored 72dB with 10/10.

Same score on the 78dB test: 10/10, yay!

http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_dynamic.php?dyna=78

My room is very well treated with absorption panels and lots of bass traps too.  My amps and preamp are very low noise (XMC-1 and XPR-1's) which is obviously helping.  The static doesn't drive me out of the room either, so I'm not cheating, but I'm too lazy to find my SPL meter to be sure.

PS:  yes, I hear "alright."

• Like 1