Why feed the Troll(s)

Woofers and Tweeters

Not that we have any on this forum

Perfect, Describes the few trolls here to perfection, i have seen the "Warning Points" issued trying to defend oneself many times, and i have a few myself. this is how the "Good Guys" are treated here on this forum.

That time has now passed.

I am now up to seven forum members who feel the same, through emails and PM's, My magnificent Seven and i WILL prevail.

• Like 1

This video is ridiculous and is made up by a bunch of pseudo-science garbage. Just because someone has an opinion that needs to be expressed which an explicit intent to inflame others doesn't make them a sadist it makes them a REALIST. The word is a cruel place and these miscreants who wander from video to and try to have 'friendly discussions' are a thin veil for their arrogance and insolence, shoving their pretty little lives in others faces whos world is confined to their parents basement. They must be punished for their lack of understanding and their phony superficial masks exposed and this can only be accomplished by breaking them out of their stupid, happy little bubble by calling out the harsh nature of this world via seemingly immature and inflammatory remarks. This is of course accomplished most easily through forum posts and youtube comments while not eating easy mac or reading 'Catcher in the Rye" for the 20th time... 

Edited by twk123

Not that we have any on this forum

Perfect, Describes the few trolls here to perfection, i have seen the "Warning Points" issued trying to defend oneself many times, and i have a few myself. this is how the "Good Guys" are treated here on this forum.

That time has now passed.

I am now up to seven forum members who feel the same, through emails and PM's, My magnificent Seven and i WILL prevail.

That's really funny Mark.  I'm still laughing over the very insulting and profane PM you sent to me, then you deleted it, and THEN you sent me a Friend Request.....Classic.  Hope you and your Secret Seven enjoy each others company.

• Moderators

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

TR

• Moderators

From Psychology Today:

In the same study from yesterday, the authors introduced a measure of someone's trolliness (that's my term, not theirs). They call it the Global Assessment of Internet Trolling (GAIT). Subjects in their study were shown these four statements:

I have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.

I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.

I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt.

The first three statements measure enjoyment and experience with trolling, and the last one measures how closely someone identifies with the trolling "culture."

Subjects were asked to rate how well each statement described them on a five-point scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree). The average of a person's ratings for these four statements became their GAIT, or trolliness, score.

The main idea is that trolls are people who make comments to upset others because they find joy in upsetting people. It's not just that the comments are disruptive or provocative - it is that the poster makes them with the intent of enjoying the suffering of others.

• Like 2

The main idea is that trolls are people who make comments to upset others because they find joy in upsetting people.

That reminds me of an old co-worker I had.  He was a brilliant parts manager, the best I've ever worked with as far as inventory, ordering and obsolescence.  The problem was that he couldn't get along with anybody.  He wasn't happy unless he was creating some sort of controversy.  He was an expert at stirring the pot and sitting back and watching the chaos.  I've never worked with someone who was so good at his job yet such a terrible co-worker.  Our general manager finally let him go as his negative impact was far outweighing his positive contributions.  It was like a weight was lifted off of all of us.  Life is too short to have to deal with idiots like that.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Here is a link to the article from Psychology Today:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

I wonder if WVU is aware of any authoritative articles or books on the subject.

There is a marked difference between a troll and someone who expresses a different view. BUT, from the few articles I have read, the way you agravate them the most is to ignore them, act as though you don't see their posts.

I think that is the reason many sites have an "ignore" button.