Garage Sale Motives

Zen Traveler

I started this thread not to single anyone out but to point out that those selling or buying items here may have completely different reasons for doing so. First I'm not talking about commercial sales of complete product or "improved parts of speakers--they should be open game to question and debate, imo....

But when it comes to the marketplace of used merchandise, especially Klipsch Speakers some want to get what they can on the upperend and others are looking for the best deal possible. I for one think my speakers are worth more than I paid for them and see others (usually long time posters) give a lower end price range, give an anecdote of their purchasing experience, and express the expert  advice to wait until a deal comes along or try and negotiate the price downward--Fwiw, this always benefits the buyer--Nothing wrong with that but when it comes time to sell my speakers I won't be offering them in the Klipsch Garage Sale section. :)

Anyway, just some thoughts over morning coffee while reminiscing  while contemplating  various dustups over the years. Please feel free to share you thoughts.

• Like 3

If I list stuff in the Garage Sale section I usually list it a lower price than I would on Craig's List, just seems like the right way for me. If I want top dollar, Ebay, Audiogon, or CL.  Not guidelines for anyone else, I just think this is a friendly place and like to encourage that.

• Like 3

If I list stuff in the Garage Sale section I usually list it a lower price than I would on Craig's List, just seems like the right way for me. If I want top dollar, Ebay, Audiogon, or CL.  Not guidelines for anyone else, I just think this is a friendly place and like to encourage that.

No argument from me. :) I gather those newer posters who thought they could post products here for what they hoped to get, or at least not get the 'expert' opinion on what others think they're worth and it becoming the benchmark on the original posters price and moral worthiness could make folks have a differing opinion of the place.

• Moderators

I agree on all counts. There is a "no thread crapping rule", and it seems as though the most rigid definition of that rule should be applied by mods in the Garage Sale section whenever possible. "Possible" being the key word.

It's almost impossible to monitor every thread. Sometimes they deteriorate before we can get a handle on the situation. Seems it's an endless and at times, daunting task.

• Like 1

Some people just want something for nothing.  All it takes is a deal or two where a seller doesn't know what they have or just has zero interest in the speakers and want them gone.  Suddenly every other offering out there at a fair price is now a joke in the buyers eyes.  We have more than a couple like that here.

• Like 4

Hmmmm.  Sellers want the most they can get and buyers want to spend the least possible.  Who'd a thunk it :P   All that matters is that both parties are happy at the end of the day.

That's my point--Hardly ever have I seen the most respected, long time  members promote paying the higher price.

Respected long time members will often say "this speaker is worth the price because of x y z" frequently.  People also like to brag when they get a good deal but putting that info in someone else's for sale thread is the wrong thing to do.

• Like 7

Some people just want something for nothing.  All it takes is a deal or two where a seller doesn't know what they have or just has zero interest in the speakers and want them gone.  Suddenly every other offering out there at a fair price is now a joke in the buyers eyes.  We have more than a couple like that here.

Max2   You hit the nail on the head.  I think its like that with most things we sell. 

Hmmmm.  Sellers want the most they can get and buyers want to spend the least possible.  Who'd a thunk it :P   All that matters is that both parties are happy at the end of the day.

That's my point--Hardly ever have I seen the most respected, long time  members promote paying the higher price.

That is not true. I have seen a few regular give sellers advice that the sellers stuff should sell for, that it will never bring, and the guy recommending the price would NEVER pay that price themselves.

While I will agree that the majority do low ball the seller most of the time, we do have several that exaggerate constantly, saw it this morning on that RSW-15 thread. NOBODY pays $1,000 for one of those getting old subs anymore, the truth is somewhere between both answers.

I for one AM a conservative, and as such, I have gotten many great deals on this sight, and have given some savings back to others here over what I would sell elsewhere for, I believe in playing it forward to steal a line from Christy!

Personally, it pisses me off when I see a long time regular that has taken sweetheart deals here and has also asked top dollar or the amount they have it listed for elsewhere here!

Roger

• Like 2

I for one AM a conservative, and as such, I have gotten many great deals on this sight, and have given some savings back to others here over what I would sell elsewhere for, I believe in playing it forward to steal a line from Christy! Personally, it pisses me off when I see a long time regular that has taken sweetheart deals here and has also asked top dollar or the amount they have it listed for elsewhere here!

Honestly, the conservative side in me sees no problem with either scenario...If one wants to do something morally good for someone else by giving them a deal they should be commended. Otoh I don't fault a person for selling an item for a higher price than it's worth to deal seakers---My advice to buyers--Buyer Beware and decide what the product is worth to YOU....I contend picking up the speakers  locally for the price they are worth to you would be better than trying to find the best deal possible on the internet, especially on the upperend  Reference and Heritage speakers.

Edited by Zen Traveler

One possible solution would be for sellers who do not care for unsolicited advice to add a note at the bottom of their post: " Kindly refrain from commenting on the stated price but feel free to ask questions and make offers. -Cheers."

In a perfect Garage Sale world one shouldn't have to make such a request but the GS history is replete with folks that just cannot help themselves.

Edited by deep3shot
  • Like 3

Great topic Zen.  This could never be talked about in someone's for sale thread without stepping on somebody's toes. 

Thanks. I have only considered buying 3 things from this site. 1) Deang Crossovers 2) a 400 WPC Sunfire AVR. and 3) A subwoofer you had for sale--I contacted you with a lower price and you told me something akin to "I am not doing it for the money and will sell it whenever someone meets my price. :)

Braggers, brag.  Haters, hate. That is the way of the world.  When it comes to money a seller generally wants the most he can get for his product.  I have been a Picker ( flipper ) for almost 40 years now.  of course I want to buy low and sell high. It pays my bills. If It went the other way for me, the utility company would shut me off.  If your neighbor had a mint pair of Klipschorns  for sale for $500, which one of us would not be the first at his door. I have to admit, it does bother me when people dog others on their prices.  I hunted it down, I traveled to pick it up,  I repaired it,  I cleaned it up, My price is my price.  If you don't like someones price, see if they are open to offers, if not, just walk away. We don't have to be nasty or hateful about it.

Everyone enjoy your day.

P.S.   I have a matching pair of bent rusty nails for sale.   My asking price is $10,000.00 shipping not included.

• Like 3