Garage Sale Motives

Zen Traveler

IMHO an item is worth precisely what a person is willing to pay for it.  If a person wanted K'horns and found a set in his town that were pristine, he might well be willing to pay the full retail given he doesn't have to pay shipping or go get them and doesn't have to pay sales tax.

Dumb?  I don't think so, but many here might not know the details and think "What a ripoff!." 

Dave

And, just like everyone else Dave, you are more than entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is why did that thread about the pms have to be locked after it seemed like it was dissipating?

very bad form, that one cat beating his credentials against his chest IMHO!

Rog

I too thought it was locked prematurely.

Too many locks lately.

Unless a fight is ready to break out or things get out of hand i say let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 2

That said, if you went a step further and started putting "PM Sent" in the thread I think that is OT.

I think the one that placed the ad should determine that.

PM Sent" is OT? Why? It could mean that the buyer has questions regarding the product, or is asking for the sellers location, or, yes, could be making an offer, and would prefer to do all of those things in private.

I agree.

Of course you have a right to your opinion but the software allows the OP to be notified of PMs

It does but some, like myself, hawk their ad often and the "PM sent" offers an additional alert that I welcome anytime.

Bill

• Like 2

When it comes to buying and selling, it is simple, the market will determine the price.  If I want something now, I am willing to pay more.  It may be several months before I find a lower price  in my driving range.  A seller doesn't have to be told what they should sell an item for.  If the price is to high, nobody buys.

The big thing is not to get worked up when these forum disputes come up.  It's just a part of life when people don't necessarily agree.  Man up and move on! Name calling and such is not acceptable!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

It does but some, like myself, hawk their ad often and the "PM sent" offers an additional alert that I welcome anytime.

Again, taken in a vacuum I may agree, but when I see it over and over again with no takers I tend to think the item may be overpriced or something wrong with it. Again, it seems you offer things at a reasonable price and are able to unload it pretty easy with your status here on the forum.

P.S.   I have a matching pair of bent rusty nails for sale.   My asking price is $10,000.00 shipping not included.
will you split them up or must we buy the pair? 

Sorry everyone The bent rusty nails are sold,  And guess what!!    I got my asking price.    Fear not, I will be on the search for more.    Made a pretty good profit.

P.S.   I have a matching pair of bent rusty nails for sale.   My asking price is $10,000.00 shipping not included.

Rusty nails are available at the local Ace hardware for less, you may want to lower your asking price to be competitive.

Edit ... Crap, a minute too late. Disregard.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 4

Rusty nails are available at the local Ace hardware for less, you may want to lower your asking price to be competitive.

All of this is legit because we are not in the Garage Section...If we were, then unless you really were interested in purchasing the nails keep it to PM without stating you are doing so is my opinion, here in the lounge. :)

All it takes is a deal or two where a seller doesn't know what they have or just has zero interest in the speakers and want them gone.  Suddenly every other offering out there at a fair price is now a joke in the buyers eyes.  We have more than a couple like that here.

I recently went on a vacation and realized my wife was piling up the bills rather quickly. To finance the air fare, I sold an expensive pistol. On the one hand, I knew I got a good deal so I marked it up $200 more than what I paid. On the other hand, I knew I shouldn't get too greedy because I didn't want to answer questions about it for the next 3 months, I just wanted it sold. So, I put it out there, and within 15 minutes it was sold, with 5 guys waiting in line if that fell through. I probably made some guys mad about it, because some other guys will see it and think it is the norm.

That said, if you went a step further and started putting "PM Sent" in the thread I think that is OT.

I think the one that placed the ad should determine that.

PM Sent" is OT? Why? It could mean that the buyer has questions regarding the product, or is asking for the sellers location, or, yes, could be making an offer, and would prefer to do all of those things in private.

I agree.

Of course you have a right to your opinion but the software allows the OP to be notified of PMs

Bill

Plus,

With a lot of these low post, seller, non active members, you have to wonder if they have even found the red lit up you have a PM button and wonder if they know how to receive it, and as Scrappy pointed out, what about those checking in on their phone???

That guy was WAYYYY off base with his attitude!

Roger

• Like 1

We don't know what transpired via PM (nor do we want to).  Regardless, it should have stayed on a PM level.  I for one don't care to see stuff like that spill over into the open forum.

Please!  If you are one of the referenced above parties, do not explain yourself again in this thread.

• Like 1

Stew,

That was rude of you!

You should have addressed that in a PM, and not on the open forum!

Ediquate smurf says..............

Rog

• Like 3

We don't know what transpired via PM (nor do we want to).  Regardless, it should have stayed on a PM level.  I for one don't care to see stuff like that spill over into the open forum.

Please!  If you are one of the referenced above parties, do not explain yourself again in this thread.

What we do know is that he was an azz for posting his credentials which had nothing to do with the argument, and I know how he responded to me when I pm'd him and told him he was an azz for doing so!

Roger

• Like 1

Sorry everyone The bent rusty nails are sold,  And guess what!!    I got my asking price.    Fear not, I will be on the search for more.    Made a pretty good profit.

And I was going to ask if they had sequential serial numbers....too late.

• Like 1