Garage Sale Motives

Zen Traveler

In a perfect Garage Sale world one shouldn't have to make such a request but the GS history is replete with folks that just cannot help themselves.

I believe Christy referred to it as "Thread crapping"  and it seems most of the posters in question are aware of it...Then again, the nature to discuss one's expertise even when not asked sometimes is overwhelming....at least from what I've heard. ;)

• Like 2

.  If you don't like someones price, see if they are open to offers, if not, just walk away. We don't have to be nasty or hateful about it.

Hear ye! Hear ye! May I add that some problems seem to happen when a person who isn't interested in buying decides to add their 2 cents.

• Like 1

I for one AM a conservative, and as such, I have gotten many great deals on this sight, and have given some savings back to others here over what I would sell elsewhere for, I believe in playing it forward to steal a line from Christy! Personally, it pisses me off when I see a long time regular that has taken sweetheart deals here and has also asked top dollar or the amount they have it listed for elsewhere here!

Honestly, the conservative side in me sees no problem with either scenario...If one wants to do something morally good for someone else by giving them a deal they should be commended. Otoh I don't fault a person for selling an item for a higher price than it's worth to deal seakers---My advice to buyers--Buyer Beware and decide what the product is worth to YOU....I contend picking up the speakers  locally for the price they are worth to you would be better than trying to find the best deal possible on the internet, especially on the upperend  Reference and Heritage speakers.

I disagree with you on this.

I look at long time members here as family, and just like family, you get stuck with some that aren't your favorite, and you don't see eye to eye with.

selling for top dollar is just something you don't do to family.

Of course......., I have an Aunt, and when my mom said that my grandfathers ring should be sold to the highest bidder, and his Gold coin collection split into 3 lots of equal value as the will stated that any of the three remaining siblings could have anything they wanted as long as the other two agreed it was ok, otherwise any disputed items were to be sold, and my Aunt and my mom both wanted Grandpas perfect 2 carat diamond wedding band and all three wanted the gold coin collection.

my dad, had the ring appraised in value, and had a coin shop split the gold coin collection into 3 monetarily equal lots, with choosing order to be determined by drawing straws.

My Aunt said she didn't trust my dads appraiser and said she wanted the items to be appraised by her guy, and when she got possession of the items, promptly locked them in her savings deposit box and still has them to this day over 20 years later.

like my own Aunt, these members that would take advantage of other family members for their own gain, need dowsed in gas and lit IMHO :)

Roger

• Like 1

I have sold a few dozen items on this site over the last pushing 9 years and have yet to have any issues with pricing, packing, etc. of my items.  Only once can I remember anyone suggesting me lower my price to meet his price and that was done politely and respectfully through PM's.  I feel I price things "fairly" so I won't be lowballed and therefore have had great success and many times, repeat buyers.

I also have sent very polite PM's to inform some "less than informed" sellers that their said item can be found for less "new" or refurbished on certain websites.  All unsolicited "advice"(so far) has been welcomed. 

Giving advice(solicited or unsolicited) is all in the delivery IMO.

Bill

• Like 1

Not that I can see me ever selling but more than likely I would look to the garage first as a sales opportunity. At least here who else would know more about the listing of Klipsch speakers particularly when crossover, driver, horn upgrades have been installed. This would be my logical first stop. Or my wife's as she would need to sell once I passed to Horn Forum in heaven. They ain't leavin' till then.

• Like 1

I disagree with you on this. I look at long time members here as family, and just like family, you get stuck with some that aren't your favorite, and you don't see eye to eye with. selling for top dollar is just something you don't do to family.

There are some members here I would treat as family but most are strangers I meet on the internet. :) Heck, some who don't share my opinion on all things (read: nothing) I've come to like as well. Classifying everyone as "family" who has a great number of posts or longevity isn't the way my mind works...Nothing wrong with those of you that feel differently.

I for one AM a conservative, and as such, I have gotten many great deals on this sight, and have given some savings back to others here over what I would sell elsewhere for, I believe in playing it forward to steal a line from Christy! Personally, it pisses me off when I see a long time regular that has taken sweetheart deals here and has also asked top dollar or the amount they have it listed for elsewhere here!

Honestly, the conservative side in me sees no problem with either scenario...If one wants to do something morally good for someone else by giving them a deal they should be commended. Otoh I don't fault a person for selling an item for a higher price than it's worth to deal seakers---My advice to buyers--Buyer Beware and decide what the product is worth to YOU....I contend picking up the speakers  locally for the price they are worth to you would be better than trying to find the best deal possible on the internet, especially on the upperend  Reference and Heritage speakers.

Taking into account that the "garage sale" forum is the most "watched" forum by the membership, I interpreted Roger's comments somewhat differently. 

As a demonstrative example, in some cases I believe that Roger may be referring to those forum members that quickly state they will buy something (within minutes of the original "for sale" post) that is obviously priced at a "deep forum discount" so to speak (lets say Cornwall speakers for $400 when they already have three or four pairs of Cornwall speakers); then turn around and re-offer the item a couple of months later on this same forum at a premium price (now $1,100 for these same Cornwall speakers) for some "lame reason" why they "need" to sell.  Although, this "lame reason" on needing to sell doesn't seem to apply to any other gear they may have and only the $400 purchase put them in this horrible bind.   

I agree that there is no law or rule to govern the re-sell asking price, but that also doesn't mean that Roger doesn't have a right to be pissed about a situation that comes across as apparently taking advantage of a community that one professes to be a part of and embrace.

• Like 3

I also have sent very polite PM's to inform some "less than informed" sellers that their said item can be found for less "new" or refurbished on certain websites. All unsolicited "advice"(so far) has been welcomed. Giving advice(solicited or unsolicited) is all in the delivery IMO.

Good point and I agree...That said, if you went a step further and started putting "PM Sent" in the thread I think that is OT.

I agree that there is no law or rule to govern the re-sell asking price, but that also doesn't mean that Roger doesn't have a right to be pissed about a situation that comes across as apparently taking advantage of a community that one professes to be a part of and embrace.

See my response to him concerning Community vs treating EVERYONE as family. Insofar as Twisted having the right to be pissed at anything---My opinion on what could be OT has no bearing on this revered member. :) BTW, I also responded to you in a post that didn't make it on the thread because of it being shut down--What a drag. You only have three thousand, five  hundred posts to go to find out what I said. ;)

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

This is timely in that I have a Denon TT, Seiki arm, Denon cart currently in the garage. It would be appreciated if some TT enthusiasts have a look and give me an honest opinion as to my asking price. Too high or about right? No offense will be taken as I wasn't real sure how to price. Thanks

• Like 1

I also have sent very polite PM's to inform some "less than informed" sellers that their said item can be found for less "new" or refurbished on certain websites. All unsolicited "advice"(so far) has been welcomed. Giving advice(solicited or unsolicited) is all in the delivery IMO.

Good point and I agree...That said, if you went a step further and started putting "PM Sent" in the thread I think that is OT.

"PM Sent" is OT?  Why?  It could mean that the buyer has questions regarding the product, or is asking for the sellers location, or, yes, could be making an offer, and would prefer to do all of those things in private.  If the members here are thrown off by a "PM Sent" post in a GS thread, then I don't think they are living in the current reality of audio gear acquisition....JMHO of course.  Over and out.

• Like 2

IMHO an item is worth precisely what a person is willing to pay for it.  If a person wanted K'horns and found a set in his town that were pristine, he might well be willing to pay the full retail given he doesn't have to pay shipping or go get them and doesn't have to pay sales tax.

Dumb?  I don't think so, but many here might not know the details and think "What a ripoff!." 

Dave

Taking into account that the "garage sale" forum is the most "watched" forum by the membership, I interpreted Roger's comments somewhat differently. 

As a demonstrative example, in some cases I believe that Roger may be referring to those forum members that quickly state they will buy something (within minutes of the original "for sale" post) that is obviously priced at a "deep forum discount" so to speak (lets say Cornwall speakers for $400 when they already have three or four pairs of Cornwall speakers); then turn around and re-offer the item a couple of months later on this same forum at a premium price (now $1,100 for these same Cornwall speakers) for some "lame reason" why they "need" to sell.  Although, this "lame reason" on needing to sell doesn't seem to apply to any other gear they may have and only the $400 purchase put them in this horrible bind.   

The same thing can be said for the items posted within the Alerts section.  Forum members regularly purchase items found within the Alerts, and then end up selling shortly after.  The difference is that the Alerts usually include a link allowing - anyone-  access to those items, while the Garage Sale section is correspondence between Forum community only.  That is most likely the center of Twisted's contention that getting the perceived shaft from a Forum member cuts a bit deep.  It's the principal of the transaction, and the belief that the Forum will shield us somewhat from the vagaries of the real world marketplace.

• Like 1

IMHO an item is worth precisely what a person is willing to pay for it.  If a person wanted K'horns and found a set in his town that were pristine, he might well be willing to pay the full retail given he doesn't have to pay shipping or go get them and doesn't have to pay sales tax.

Dumb?  I don't think so, but many here might not know the details and think "What a ripoff!." 

Dave

And, just like everyone else Dave, you are more than entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is why did that thread about the pms have to be locked after it seemed like it was dissipating?

very bad form, that one cat beating his credentials against his chest IMHO!

Rog

• Like 1

Hmmmm.  Sellers want the most they can get and buyers want to spend the least possible.  Who'd a thunk it :P   All that matters is that both parties are happy at the end of the day.

That's my point--Hardly ever have I seen the most respected, long time  members promote paying the higher price.

Personally, it pisses me off when I see a long time regular that has taken sweetheart deals here and has also asked top dollar or the amount they have it listed for elsewhere here!

Roger

Me too.  I have given some very good deals on this forum.  In general the buyer uses the equipment.  But I have also been the victim of resellers that took my good deal and turned around and immediately made money off it.

Business is business and there's nothing wrong with it.  It just burns me when I give a really good deal under the impression I did something nice for someone, and then they turn around and make a buck with it.  Had no intention of keeping it.  Stupid me.   :)

One other issue is many comments that show up in a sale when the poster has no intention of buying.  He may criticize the price, seller, etc..........or my all time *** kissing favorite is when they brag how nice and trustworthy the seller is and how great the particular piece of equipment is.  That is all pretty funny to me the way some guys do that with each other.  Like were all too stupid to see through that.   :rolleyes:

• Like 3