Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

I'd prescribe a brownie, or if your twisted and don't mind a TWIST....A suppository...LOL
I just had a colonoscopy, so i think i’ll take a pass on the suppository.  I detest chocolate--been chocolate free since ’83.

I did read about a mouth spray though...a spray under your tongue and you’re good to go (not drive; but, go). 

This is a favorite in these parts: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161587-art-for-arts-sake/?p=1971788

• Like 1

I'd prescribe a brownie, or if your twisted and don't mind a TWIST....A suppository...LOL
I just had a colonoscopy, so i think i’ll take a pass on the suppository.  I detest chocolate--been chocolate free since ’83.

I did read about a mouth spray though...a spray under your tongue and you’re good to go (not drive; but, go). 

This is a favorite in these parts: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161587-art-for-arts-sake/?p=1971788

tell me about it.  taste? duration? intensity?  did you ever get used to it?  

extremely detrimental effects on young people, and it creates a life sentence for the kids who have the nerual pathways in their brains rewired. It should be banned and stay banned.

For argument sake, lets agree.  But doesn't alcohol and tobacco as well? Doesn't the average male brain mature around the age of 24-25? If so, why don't we push the legal ages up to 25 for them and create stricter laws? 

Alcohol yes, tobacco no.  Tobacco goes more to the physiological and addictive side rather than re-routing neural pathways.  Emphysema, heart disease, cancer.

And you are correct about the maturing of the brain, right on the numbers. 

Why don't we push the legal ages up to 25 and create stricter laws?  The drinking age used to be 18 and now it is 21, and there are stricter laws for alcohol and substance abuse, especially in driving.  The one exception I see in the legalization of MJ, which no matter what the states say, is still a federal crime.

+++

I am not a substance abuse counselor but I had a lot of kids who were in treatment for substance abuse.  I had to visit the kids in treatment in 3 states because West Virginia did not have the capacity to treat all the kids in-state.

I don't want to side-track the debate because I think it is going swimmingly well.  :)  Most of you guys have personal stories, both good and bad and I have no reason to doubt those of you who did pot since 9th grade and you turned out OK.  You should understand that kids are now starting in 5th and 6th grade, and it is a DIFFERENT problem than the one you grew up with.

It's just that when you see hundred of kids who did NOT have that positive or successful experience, it affects my perception of things that work and things that don't work.  A lot of kids don't live to be successful adults.  You don't experience that end of the youth culture that fails like I do.

I used to write the check (approve the vouchers for payment) every month for kids in treatment.  It was $50,000 per month, and I was one counselor out of 9 in a small county in a small state.  The average payment per month was about $5,000 per kid.  Treatment was at LEAST 9 months per kid, minimum.

Admittedly, I have a skewed view because it was my job to help kids change the way they think, and I'm telling you, part of what happens to kids aside from not being able to establish boundaries and follow rules, is it they get into a rigidity of thinking that is focused around the drug culture.  It defines who they are and they glorify drug use, to the exclusion of nearly everything else, including school attendance.

You and I (society) through our tax dollars are going to pay for these kids for a long time.  Starting off so bad at an early age due to drugs (and admittedly other environmental factors), their chances for turning their lives around is not very good.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

• Moderators
Yes you have to be very careful with the edibles...some cookies you can eat a small portion and others you can eat several (I am talking retail purchased Meds).

Also a big difference in smoking compared to edibles as far as how it effects you and the duration.

• Like 1

Absurd forms of drug abuse are exactly what is predicted when drugs become a central focus of law enforcing and criminal Justice. Young kids get locked up in juvi halls, where they can be sexually and emotionally abused by adults who hold power over them. This adds greatly to the emotional damage and almost assures high risk drug use with off color tainted drugs.

And then the adults come along and blame kids for being screwed up by drugs! If we could lockup the many thousand of pedophiles and abusers who use the CJ system to find their prey we'd cut most of the problems down to size.

When you find a large population of frigged up kids...... Look no further than abusing adults.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I understand Dave.  I wouldn’t recommend that others do many things that i’ve done. When my kids were teens, i was upfront with them about my drug past and told them to stay away from them.

i’m seriously considering going back to pot though.  i have four herniated disks and arthritis in my hip & neck -- i’m in pain every single day. After I got ran over by a truck back in 2009, i’ve been cautioned against pain medicine due to stomach bleeding. I have high tolerance for pain; but, some days it’s just very bothersome. Doctor just wants to prescribe hard narcotics -- i feel that marijuana will be easier on my body. I’ve talked to my doctor, who isn’t opposed to it. because of my past, i’m considering it very carefully.

• Like 5

tell me about it.  taste? duration? intensity?  did you ever get used to it?  

The taste isn't great, and it's somewhat oily, which doesn't seem to support absorption. That combination makes my mouth water, compounding the issue, which leads to swallowing. As such, the duration is more like an edible, and the intensity correlates with 1 spray = 1mg THC. Works great to facilitate sleep, even though a Sativa.

I never got used to it as a recreational product for all of these reasons, but better sleep can be priceless. IMHO, there are are much better edibles out there, and tinctures avail better absorption.

• Like 2

I understand Dave.  I wouldn’t recommend that others do many things that i’ve done. When my kids were teens, i was upfront with them about my drug past and told them to stay away from them.

i’m seriously considering going back to pot though.  i have four herniated disks and arthritis in my hip & neck -- i’m in pain every single day. After I got ran over by a truck back in 2009, i’ve been cautioned against pain medicine due to stomach bleeding. I have high tolerance for pain; but, some days it’s just very bothersome. Doctor just wants to prescribe hard narcotics -- i feel that marijuana will be easier on my body. I’ve talked to my doctor, who isn’t opposed to it. because of my past, i’m considering it very carefully.

For pain, try something high (no pun intended) in CBD instead of THC. It will manage pain without you getting high.

On the other hand, if you want to get high and enjoy the inhalation aspect of the medicine, look for Live Resin and/or Shatter. Potent stuff.

• Like 3

i’m seriously considering going back to pot though. i have four herniated disks and arthritis in my hip & neck -- i’m in pain every single day. After I got ran over by a truck back in 2009, i’ve been cautioned against pain medicine due to stomach bleeding.

But listen to yourself, Stew.  You are intelligent, knowledgeable, and have life experience.  What you just proposed is well thought out, rational, logical, with consideration to the consequences of alternative, possible harmful narcotics.

You are not the problem, and you never will be.

• Like 3

But listen to yourself, Stew.  You are intelligent, knowledgeable, and have life experience.  What you just proposed is well thought out, rational, logical, with consideration to the consequences of alternative, possible harmful narcotics.   You are not the problem, and you never will be.
geez Dave, what did i ever do to you for you to call me all those names?   :D  Seriously, i’m aware of and sensitive to what has caused me trouble in the past.

Sadly, i didn’t quit drugs because of a moral reason.  I was having chronic and severe trouble breathing. At first, i just figured if i got high then i’d forget that i was having trouble breathing. It didn’t work, and wanting to breath won. So, although (for the pain reasons mentioned previously) and that i would love to sleep more than an hour at a time--i’m considering medical mariujuana; but, knowing how much i LOVED it for many years--I’m afraid of going back to using it just for fun.  

• Like 2

But listen to yourself, Stew.  You are intelligent, knowledgeable, and have life experience.  What you just proposed is well thought out, rational, logical, with consideration to the consequences of alternative, possible harmful narcotics.   You are not the problem, and you never will be.
geez Dave, what did i ever do to you for you to call me all those names?   :D  Seriously, i’m aware of and sensitive to what has caused me trouble in the past.

Sadly, i didn’t quit drugs because of a moral reason.  I was having chronic and severe trouble breathing. At first, i just figured if i got high then i’d forget that i was having trouble breathing. It didn’t work, and wanting to breath won. So, although (for the pain reasons mentioned previously) and that i would love to sleep more than an hour at a time--i’m considering medical mariujuana; but, knowing how much i LOVED it for many years--I’m afraid of going back to using it just for fun.  

If you use MJ as medicine rather than as an intoxicant, you just might LOVE the effects without ever getting high. When MJ was illegal, most of the R&D that I was aware of pertained to getting more and more high. During the transitional period towards medicine (and now), much more research pertains to helping find remedies for pain and sleep disorders, while also helping with anxiety, malnutrition, inflammation, seizures and more.

Since MJ has long been illegal (while you could still get opium, morphine and cocaine by prescription), the medicinal R&D of MJ just might have been stunted for one reason or another...

Funny. Vasodilation can both lower blood pressure and increase erectile function.

Why does getting high need to be facilitated by smoking?

Suppressing upset stomachs and vomiting can vastly improve the lives of people with wasting diseases, and suffering from either/both the symptoms of cancer/chemotherapy.

medicinal R&D of MJ just might have been stunted for one reason or another...

Still sched 1 unless I missed the memo. 

Yet available as medicine, and/or legal for recreational use in many states. That's a different memo, I guess, since MJ use/posession is not prosecuted as a schedule 1 drug in these (progressive?) states unless produced/supplied/procured illegally.

On the medicinal side, benefits are way beyond anecdotal, as it's not just about getting high and participating with Jazz anymore.

Besides, I think that governments might just appreciate the tax revenue.