Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

Why does society need to be stoned, or drunk, or speeding to feel like they're having fun?

Why does the answer matter. What if I just say, "because I enjoy it!" Then what?

What principle ate you trying to apply to human behavior?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

You require needing your mental acuity altered to have fun? That's pretty sad. Are you not the same person who blames all others for your diet miseries? Have you any command of your faculties?
In other words, you have no answer.

In actuality there's no debate.
So obviously you have given little thought to the matters you are commenting on.

Drug use is not equal to drug abuse for most people. There are many purposes of drugs that are developmental for people. That raise their quality of life.

Pretty much.  When it gets down to it, how do we know the difference between what is, and what is not, a drug?  Caffeine?  Sure! Sugar?  Hmmm...  No.  Why not?

In any event, if any  drug use is abuse, then, any soda with caffeine is drug abuse. I'm with Jo.  I don't buy it.

MJ is a gateway drug to some. I am personally aware of 2 instances where 2 young persons started using MJ at a young age and moved on to stronger drug use which later resulted in the deaths of at least 2 unrelated persons. Just as getting drunk inside your home may not be dangerous to others, if you get in a car and drive drunk then you are a danger to others.

I personally don't understand the passionate need for it that some here display.

Keith

You mean you don't understand the passionate need for liberty.

In your case I question your sanity.

Keith

>edited for misspell

Edited by T2K
  • Like 1

When people recite their pet anecdotes about kids and drugs and crime, they inevitably assume drugs as the cause of crime. But we have raised millions of sociopaths who are going to commit crimes and do all sorts of other behaviors including drugs. It's not possible to always conclude that drugs were the cause of crime. It's every bit as likely that drugs reduced their criminal tendency. The root cause being sociopathy.

Further there are no kids here. This discussion is at least nominally between adults, who have every natural right to liberty of their mind and body.

• Like 2

It just became clear to me that most people here don't consider themselves to be adults. Or, certainly not free adults. After years of being wards of the nanny state, some of you obviously cannot even conceive of having the liberty to decide what's best for yourselves. You are actually repulsed by the idea of liberty! All things must be decided for you by the State. It seems positively outrageous and insane to you that a person might want the liberty to decide if a chemical is right for them. It astonishes you!

I think the youngers here have probably never in their life tasted liberty.

• Like 4

It just became clear to me that most people here don't consider themselves to be adults. Or, certainly not free adults. After years of being wards of the nanny state, some of you obviously cannot even conceive of having the liberty to decide what's best for yourselves. You are actually repulsed by the idea of liberty! All things must be decided for you by the State. It seems positively outrageous and insane to you that a person might want the liberty to decide if a chemical is right for them. It astonishes you!

Nonsense.

• Like 1

In your case I question your sanity.

Keith

>edited for misspell

Well, of course you do! Liberty must sound like a totally foreign idea to someone like you! You can't comprehend people able to take responsibility and control of their own life, free of the nanny state demands. The concept of liberty sovereignty and freedom has been washed right out of your brains. I get it. I can sympathize. Don't worry, the State will take good care of you.

• Like 2

"Thai stick" was dipped in opium, or at least that was what I was once told.

I can verify that, as they were dipping it at a monastery about 200 yards from the house I rented in Udorn Thani.  It was opium laced sugar water that sealed the weed to keep it fresh.  Smoked it every day, mostly all day.  I had severe withdrawal...but only because it was SO marvelous and about 5 US for a brick of 40 or so sticks that lasted for a month or more with 3 guys sucking it down every day and that was pretty hard to come home to the land of the felony for having a good time.  It was delivered by our landlords son, a Thai army Vietnam vet, who'd come over every couple of weeks with a pickup load of friends and a big bag of bricks.  He have us a marvelous hand made bamboo bong with a carved teak bowel.  Wonderful people, wonderful times for it being a war.  The streets of Udorn had a number of elderly who'd sit on the street during the day sucking on massive joints, a good 2 inches in diameter in the middle and rolled in what looked like funny papers.  Funny, indeed!  They seemed VERY happy and would smile massively when you wished them "Sawatdee, Khap!" as you passed.  A way of life, and that city was a happy place with the only violence coming from attacks by the VC on our base perimeter from time to time.  Rather doubt they were smoking Thai stick...

The Thai people remain my ideal for civilized society that has maintained real perspective on what is good and what is bad.  Government isn't perfect, but no government ever is.  But the people are about the finest you'll meet anywhere and they exceed by far even the legendary "southern hospitality" of this country. 

Dave

• Like 3

It's hard to carry on a logical conversation with a pothead.

Keith

No harder than speaking to someone impossibly mired in insisting on a single state of mind.  Diversity is good, in people and in states of mind.  I've often stated that pot is sort of like changing one's POV by about 30 degrees of angle and elevation.  You look at the same things but with a different POV.  When it wears off, you still have the advantage of that POV.  Alcohol doesn't do this, nor does anything I am aware of except meditation and few are going to spend the time and effort to learn that art.  And that art doesn't carry the medicinal and healing powers of demon weed.  Doesn't make anywhere near as good paper, cloth, or rope either.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2

Well, of course you do! Liberty must sound like a totally foreign idea to someone like you! You can't comprehend people able to take responsibility and control of their own life, free of the nanny state demands. The concept of liberty sovereignty and freedom has been washed right out of your brains. I get it. I can sympathize. Don't worry, the State will take good care of you.

Methinks you overgeneralize, Sir.  It is apparent that large, and growing larger, segments of our population are a bit tired of the nanny state and taking a stand. 

Dave

• Like 1

MJ is a gateway drug to some. I am personally aware of 2 instances where 2 young persons started using MJ at a young age and moved on to stronger drug use which later resulted in the deaths of at least 2 unrelated persons. Just as getting drunk inside your home may not be dangerous to others, if you get in a car and drive drunk then you are a danger to others.

I personally don't understand the passionate need for it that some here display.

Keith

I disagree that it is a gateway drug...how do you know that in these 2 instances that they would not have moved to stronger drugs without ever using MJ? Some people are drinkers and have moved to Cocaine...does that mean Alcohol is a gateway drug too? Personally I think that the ones that move to stronger drugs were looking for stronger drugs all along, and it didn't make a difference whether they were drinking beer or a soda...they were going to get stronger drugs.

• Like 3

"Gateway" drug thing is total crap.  If so, then we'd have about 80 million crack and heroin addicts. 

When the government forces you to deal with criminals and be one to do something that is a basic human right, some are going to wind up trying other things the criminals have to offer.  Rather doubt one is going to find crack in a Colorado dispensary.

Dave

• Like 3

Dave that Thai stick i had long ago could have been laced all along and i was just not aware of it, never looked into it or really thought about it previously.

I scratch my head at some of the ignorance i hear spouted here and wonder if some get all their information straight from the DEA propaganda machine.

• Like 1

MJ is a gateway drug to some. I am personally aware of 2 instances where 2 young persons started using MJ at a young age and moved on to stronger drug use

Every one in the world who went on to hard drugs has the use of one substance in common - dihydrogen oxide. It is used in drug manufacturing and by drug users worldwide, from growing MJ to cooking heroin. We must eliminate this problem. It's everywhere.

Edited by Don Richard
  • Like 2

• Moderators

MJ is a gateway drug to some. I am personally aware of 2 instances where 2 young persons started using MJ at a young age and moved on to stronger drug use

Every one in the world who went on to hard drugs has the use of one substance in common - dihydrogen oxide. It is used in drug manufacturing and by drug users worldwide, from growing MJ to cooking heroin. We must eliminate this problem. It's everywhere.

That made me laugh!!!

• Like 1

Methinks you overgeneralize, Sir. It is apparent that large, and growing larger, segments of our population are a bit tired of the nanny state and taking a stand.

Dave

Overgeneralize? Just read what the nannies here have been saying in their scolds. It's all there, as I described.