McIntosh Now Available Through Crutchfield

Youthman

It is not surprising they had to change their business model, or at least marketing, over the years.

I get the impression that back in the day they were expensive and high end but also had the travelling road sessions where the factory would give demos and even test equipment which fans brought in.  High end and nice; not snooty. People would buy "quality" when they're treated as a learned buyer.

Something changed.  In the early '80s I visited Victor High Fi (?) on Oak Street in Chicago.  Yes I was very well dressed -- and was on the bubble about a purchase.  I wondered into an upstairs room to look around.  But then some manager found me and got astonishingly impolite about how I couldn't be there without a salesman.   I suppose the salesman was suppose to massage me into a purchase.   

It was a real deal killer. 

I don't know.  It was as if they were only interested in making a sale after a long pitch.

I ran into the same thing joining a health club.  I told the receptionist I wanted to join.  I was assigned to a salesman who would not shut up and take my money.  So I went away.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

As I think my MC2505 is one of the best sounding amps I have heard to date.  I still couldn't see myself purchasing something at those prices.  One of the reasons I love Klipsch, its just the best bang for the buck.  I don't mind paying $1200.00 for a great working amp.  I would have to a disposable income to pay anything more than that (please feel free to remind me of that statement the day I purchase anything higher).   When Klipsch was purchased by Voxx, everyone thought the same thing.  Hey guess what, I have seen more new Klipsch purchases on this forum in the last couple of years then when I joined here in 08'.  Good luck to McIntosh, I hope it works out for them. 

• Like 1

The ones on the site look to be their 'entry' level gear.  I am glad to see the brand 'get out more'.  Like yall said, companies have to conform to the times to keep going I suppose.  I love my Mac gear.  Klipsch and McIntosh are my ears perfect combo.  That being said, I have never bought a McIntosh amp or pre/pro new.  And the ones I have I know will last for decades to come, and still hold their value, very much like my Khorns and other Klipsch speakers will hold their value too. 

Isn't Crutchfield known for carrying last year's (discontinued?) models?? I mean, a C47 should have sold for somewhere between $5,500 and $6,000.

I know, all this stuff is NIB, but the prices do seam a bit low considering Mac probably had some sort price controls the same way Bose does.

One of the members of the Klipsch forum that hasn't been here in a long time is now a Mac dealer because he bought so much for himself (MasterLu). I called him to order a Mac piece and he told me that Mac strongly prefers that customers buy from Mac dealers in the same area where they live. This was a few years ago at least.

Edited by Mighty Favog