I need 100' cat6 cable

dwillie

I am in need of a 100' length of cat6 cable for some home networking.  Never bought that much length before and don't really know where to start.  I noticed mono price has some to offer, and under $15.00.  Seems almost too inexpensive (?).    Any one know where I should start, or have any advice?  Thanks,  dwillie.

I've never been disappointed with any Monoprice purchase even at too good to be true pricing.

Over 15 years of purchasing cables from them; one 50' HDMI failure at receipt, immediate replacement. Of course you might as well get a 500' roll, connectors and crimper while you're at it....you know, just to make sure. Wire all as straight thru "B" http://www.incentre.net/tech-support/other-support/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/

• Like 1

Please, would somebody show me an image of the ends he needs?

If it's some fancy like flat ribbon connector, or even  like a "simple" RJ45,  "Crimping" takes experience, and / or at LEAST  a gauged high end engineered and executed high $ crimper, that takes not all, but some, guesswork out of it.

The $15 chinese crimpers are not reliable to ALWAYS give a good connection on all conductors, ESPECIALLY if you haven't made and tested at least a bunch.

If you need like 1 or 2 cables, I would no question purchase them readymade.   Lars

Please, would somebody show me an image of the ends he needs?

If it's some fancy like flat ribbon connector, or even  like a "simple" RJ45,  "Crimping" takes experience, and / or at LEAST  a gauged high end engineered and executed high $ crimper, that takes not all, but some, guesswork out of it.

The $15 chinese crimpers are not reliable to ALWAYS give a good connection on all conductors, ESPECIALLY if you haven't made and tested at least a bunch.

If you need like 1 or 2 cables, I would no question purchase them readymade.   Lars

i've been making ethernet cables (RJ-45 connector) since I was I was a careless 19 year old. It doesn't take that much experience, just the ability to get your color pairs in the right order and to squeeze really hard. A $30 crimper from Fry's will work just fine. 

• Like 2

My concern goes past the "correct order" assumption, but to the chinese crimper, compunded by the subjective hand pressure, has caused me inconsistency.

And, ya, I have the gift of "feel" in my hands and fingertips, very well versed using hand tools.

Just based on my experience.   Lars

• Like 1

Of course you could buy a junction box for each end with female connectors in them. The wires attach with a little punch-down tool which is included.

But as mentioned by others, ready made really avoids a lot of potential problems.

WMcD

The main difference for the different versions... Cat3, 5, 5e, 6, is the number of twists in the pairs. Of course, more twists means more copper, which means higher cost. But it isn't THAT much more copper. The connector on the ends drives up the price. I used scrap Cat 5e to make a couple runs under the new house, connecting two Apple Airport Extremes. I put boxes in the walls and punched down the cables.

BTW, the cables that come with the male connectors (RJ45 plugs) are stranded cables, while the stuff you pull through the walls, run under the floors, etc., are solid conductor. I have rarely crimped the stranded cable. I always borrow a crimper from work...

Bruce

Thanks for all the help and opinions.  Thanks too for the loan offer on the crimper tool and cable tester, but I think I'll go with installed ends.  It will be an easy run along the basement ceiling and up through the same opening as the TV cable.  This is what I think I will try.  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2329&gclid=CPKHns222MsCFQMQaQodJZ0DZA      Not much to lose at that price.  I have always heard good things about Monoprice on this site.   Thanks again,  dwillie.     

Buy the monoprice and hook it up, you're done.A cable is a cable unless you buy the very cheapest chinese junk. I recently started making my own cables. A complete kit was $8 or so on Amazon, 100 ends, crimpers, tester. The crimpers sucked and would not consistently create good connection. I bought a pair of Shark or something like that ($20) and every connection since has checked out. Its nice to make exact sizes if you have a large network, I have about 10 hard wired connections.