What AVR do people on here use/recommend?

AaronB123

I didn't realize NAD made AVR's I thought they only made 2 channel integrated and amps, that's good to know. The only thing I can see though about the NAD's is they don't have 4k support which I do require.  It seems like no one here really has mentioned Marantz. Is that brand all hype? What do you guys think as far as Marantz vs Pioneer? 

Marantz has always paired well with Klipsch. You'd have to do your due diligence (read reviews, consumer comments, etc.) but I can vouch for the Marantz AVR 7005 and 7055 separates in our Klipsch KLF HT system. (KLF-30's, 10's and C-7).They replaced a Denon AVR which did just an 'ok' job but was tinny on the high end and less than adequate otherwise. Marantz made a huge positive difference.  I suspect that the Marantz AVR's do a good job too. Probably worth checking it out. Take a look at separates too ...I certainly don't regret it.  Best of luck.

Marantz is real nice in terms of features, looks, and music processing, but Denon receivers have better amps.  The second level technicians at D&M will tell you that the higher end Denon receivers do pretty much the same thing as the Marantz separates.  Take a flagship Denon receiver and flagship Marantz receiver, Denon will win pretty easily.  Gotta get into the separates to get the real good stuff.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I didn't realize NAD made AVR's I thought they only made 2 channel integrated and amps, that's good to know. The only thing I can see though about the NAD's is they don't have 4k support which I do require.  It seems like no one here really has mentioned Marantz. Is that brand all hype? What do you guys think as far as Marantz vs Pioneer? 

Marantz has always paired well with Klipsch. You'd have to do your due diligence (read reviews, consumer comments, etc.) but I can vouch for the Marantz AVR 7005 and 7055 separates in our Klipsch KLF HT system. (KLF-30's, 10's and C-7).They replaced a Denon AVR which did just an 'ok' job but was tinny on the high end and less than adequate otherwise. Marantz made a huge positive difference.  I suspect that the Marantz AVR's do a good job too. Probably worth checking it out. Take a look at separates too ...I certainly don't regret it.  Best of luck.

Marantz is real nice in terms of features, looks, and music processing, but Denon receivers have better amps.  The second level technicians at D&M will tell you that the higher end Denon receivers do pretty much the same thing as the Marantz separates.  Take a flagship Denon receiver and flagship Marantz receiver, Denon will win pretty easily.  Gotta get into the separates to get the real good stuff.  

If I was to go into separates, do you think it's worth externally  amping up all the speakers or just the mains? 

If I was to go into separates, do you think it's worth externally amping up all the speakers or just the mains?

If you go separates(preamp/processor + amp) you have to amp all channels if you want to use them.  Unless you mean an AVR and an outboard amp?

Bill

Edited by willland

If I was to go into separates, do you think it's worth externally  amping up all the speakers or just the mains?

True separates would mean a preamp, in which you would have to use external amps on everything. Otherwise just do as much as your budget allows. Externally amping the front 3 should be a big help.

If I was to go into separates, do you think it's worth externally amping up all the speakers or just the mains?

If you go separates(preamp/processor + amp) you have to amp all channels if you want to use them.  Unless you mean an AVR and an outboard amp?

Bill

Ya, I was thinking AVR and outboard amp. 

Bill

Ya, I was thinking AVR and outboard amp. 

If that is the case, I would get a minimum 3-channel amp.

Bill

Though the spec's on the La Scala's say the maximum continuous wattage rating for them is 100 which is what my current receiver pushes. Would it be bad to push more continuous power to them than the recommended

100 watts continuous to LaScalas? Are you deaf? Do you wanna be? :)

• Like 1

Though the spec's on the La Scala's say the maximum continuous wattage rating for them is 100 which is what my current receiver pushes. Would it be bad to push more continuous power to them than the recommended

Lol Ya see thats why I don't even know if getting an external amp would be necessary because my AVR already pushes 100 per channel rms and thats what the La Scala's say is the recommended wattage.

No such thing as too much power. When you listen and get to "Loud" levels you are probably only using double digit watts at a constant but you have tons of headroom for those peaks and deeper bass moments. I push 300 real wpc into my Heresies, KP-250's and Infinity SM 152's and they have no problems at all. Not like I am pushing levels over reference or anything. One third volume is plenty, but it is still nice knowing the extra oomph is there if you need it.

You have more risk of damaging your speakers by sending too little power and making the amp or receiver clip. Once it reaches it;s limits the rest is distortion....not good.

Tim

Lol Ya see thats why I don't even know if getting an external amp would be necessary because my AVR already pushes 100 per channel rms and thats what the La Scala's say is the recommended wattage.

When I went with an outboard amp I noticed more of a change in sound than I did in power, but turning it up for me most of the time is a 10 watt peak.

I totally agree and this is somewhat strange.   You can look at various bench tests and conclude that the upper Denon AVR's do in fact edge out the Marantz AVR line on power. They may even exceed in noise floor numbers too.  Some people scoff at this, but every little bit helps and isn't that what we are all looking for.....

Having  said that, I would swap my Denon 4311 AVR for a Marantz 8802 dedicated pre in a heartbeat.

It seems to me like my LaScalas like big beefy amps with lots of overhead, and not a lot of digital processing. 

If you just had a big stereo amp connected through your mains that you could switch to for music, you would be surprised. Even better a beefy tube amp like a McIntosh MC275. Niles makes some switching stuff that can allow you to share those speakers with the main AVR.

Ya, this is another thing I have considered, that's another reason I was considering upgrading to something with pre outs I wouldn't mind getting a nice external amp for the La Scala's.

Though the spec's on the La Scala's say the maximum continuous wattage rating for them is 100 which is what my current receiver pushes. Would it be bad to push more continuous power to them than the recommended? 

In relation to driving La Scalas with more power than recommended, I would read the following "Dope from Hope" articles that can be found at the link below from the Klipsch education page:

http://www.klipsch.com/education/dope-from-hope

Vol. 7, No. 5, June 1966, "Blown Tweeters"

Vol. 8, No. 1, July 1967, "Guarantee Void!"

Vol. 13, No. 1, January 1973, "Fuses for Loudspeakers"

Vol. 13, No. 2, June 1973, "Speaker Destruction"

Vol. 14, No. 2, May 1974, "Power Ratings"

Vol. 16, No. 1, January 1977, "Amplifier Ratings to Drive Klipsch Systems

PWK once said, "bragging about how much power your speaker can absorb is like bragging about how much fuel your vehicle can burn."

I totally agree and this is somewhat strange.   You can look at various bench tests and conclude that the upper Denon AVR's do in fact edge out the Marantz AVR line on power. They may even exceed in noise floor numbers too.  Some people scoff at this, but every little bit helps and isn't that what we are all looking for.....

Having  said that, I would swap my Denon 4311 AVR for a Marantz 8802 dedicated pre in a heartbeat.

I bought my girlfriend the Marantz SR5009 that allows her to connect all of her network stuff and Scrappy's Klipsch RP 5.0 speaker setup for her apartment a while back; and she seems to be extremely pleased with the setup.  When I start working on the larger system, I'll probably go with separates and have been looking at the Marantz AV8802A or AV7702 mkII. 

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong with Marantz.

Except I still can't get over what it does when I want to adjust the volume between channels. It plays test tones. WTF? My next AVR or Pre/Pro will not do that, so I guess it won't be a Marantz.

I just got an Anthem MRX 520. Still evaluating it, haven't had much time to really listen. Room correction works really well. Comparing with and without for music. Only have tried with correction for movies so far.

It has no problem powering my RF-7II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Grizzog

I just got an Anthem MRX 520. Still evaluating it, haven't had much time to really listen. Room correction works really well. Comparing with and without for music. Only have tried with correction for movies so far.

It has no problem powering my RF-7II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep evaluating and give us your opinion.  I am "considering" an MRX510 or MRX710.  Of course my Acurus amps will be doing the heavy lifting.

Bill

• Like 1

you have la scalas. You don't need a extra amp. Surely you can find something else to spend money on in your setup. Users gorm and Youthman were both guys I pried at for a long time to test their setups with and without their amps. Both guys don't have amps anymore. I've had tons of amps the last few years. Can they help rf-7ii's and rf-83s and whatnot? Sure they can. Those aren't near as efficient and have crazy low ohm dips. Your lascalas are quite the opposite. Same as my cinema speakers. They just don't need tons of power. My speakers will scream on my denon 4520. They never run out of gas
  • Like 1