RF-7s with "Funny Money"

JoeDirt

I just got a chunk of cash handed to me that 2 people in the world know about.  It was nothing illegal, just not traceable, so settle down.

Anyway -

I've been dreaming about RF7s in my living room and I can now afford to get them without causing a rift.  My wife will notice them in about a week and ask where they came from.  I'll say I traded speakers X to so and so for them.  So that's covered.

Now - What to get?

RF7 v I - Used?

RF7 v II - Used?

RF7 v II - B Stock - New?

I want Cherry and from what others say, the B stocks are the same speakers with inconsistent grain.

Is it worth the 40% savings over new?

Are the IIs that much better sounding than the Is?

Thanks for your input and keeping it on the DL.

• Like 1

I just got a chunk of cash handed to me that 2 people in the world know about.  It was nothing illegal, just not traceable, so settle down.

Anyway -

I've been dreaming about RF7s in my living room and I can now afford to get them without causing a rift.  My wife will notice them in about a week and ask where they came from.  I'll say I traded speakers X to so and so for them.  So that's covered.

Now - What to get?

RF7 v I - Used?

RF7 v II - Used?

RF7 v II - B Stock - New?

I want Cherry and from what others say, the B stocks are the same speakers with inconsistent grain.

Is it worth the 40% savings over new?

Are the IIs that much better sounding than the Is?

Thanks for your input and keeping it on the DL.

I would go for the used or B-stock RF7-II's. Just dont play Def Leppard, according to Kid Rock they suck pretty hard.

• Like 2

Here is the explanation of the b-stock designation on AcousticSoundDesign

The ONE REASON these speakers are designated "Grade B" is due to minor differences in the Cherry Exotic Wood Veneers. Klipsch has set the bar very high on their real Exotic Wood Veneer speakers. A wood supplier delivered these Veneers to Klipsch in Hope, Arkansas and the order slipped through the initial inspection process. COMMON QUESTIONS ANSWERED!

• Are these speakers brand new, in the box? YES!
  • Were they ever opened or used? NO!
  • Are the Woofers, Tweeter, and Crossovers new? YES!
  • There has to be a catch, something you're not mentioning. Is there a catch? NO!

Klipsch imports their wood veneer. Their supplier sent them the wrong shade of cherry. Instead of throwing them away, Klipsch went into production and sold them all to us. They are brand new Klipsch RF-7II in Cherry - never opened - never used. They just have the wrong shade of cherry veneer on them. Klipsch has labeled them as B stock – "but not as used, repaired or returned B stock speakers" - they are just not their normal run in "different shade of cherry" for their RF-7II speakers. If you look close these are a bit darker in color without a ton of the swirl that normally comes on the rf-7ii. PUT BLUNTLY - IF WE DIDNT TELL YOU - YOU WOULD NOT NOTICE. THEY LOOK GREAT. THE PICTURE IS REPRESENTATIVE. Since Klipsch took possession of the wood, the only choice was to start production and list these as "B Grade" produced speakers. The Veneers are Rated A- to B+. As with real wood, each speaker's veneer will be slightly different, but they are representational of the differences in the grain among this group of speakers. FACTS

• These speakers are made up of 100% A grade Klipsch components. The Veneers are fantastic, but do not technically meet the "Perfect A grade" standard due to the difference in color from what Klipsch requires.
  • These speakers have never been used or previously sold. They are brand new and Factory Sealed.
  • They are covered with the Klipsch MFR Warranty.
  • Flagship Reference Series model ideal for discerning audiophiles

• Fills large rooms with movie theater/concert quality sound

• Uncovers every subtle nuance of your content

• Highly efficient design produces more output using less energy

• Accurate, non-fatiguing sound provides hours of listening pleasure

• Plays louder with less distortion than the competition

• Dynamic 1.75" titanium horn-loaded tweeter, dual 10" high-output woofers

• Dimensions: 45" H x 11.6" W x 16" D

• Beautiful furniture-grade wood veneer cabinet

The ultimate in Reference Series performance, the RF-7 II tower speaker lets you experience the true power, detail and emotion of cinematic spectacles and concert performances from the comforts of home.

You shouldn't lie to your wife.

Is it a lie if he puts in the new speakers and she doesn't notice?  :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't think he is going to lie to his wife.  His saying that he will be telling her a tale is just boy talk for us guys on the forum.  

I always tell my wife the truth...eventually.   :P

• Like 2

I do always tell her eventually. It's usually after she makes a comment like "Gosh those DO sound much better than the ones you had there before".

Trust me, she's not wanting for anything.

I have the Klipsch itch and she knows I gotta scratch it.

• Like 2

I would go to eBay and check out the seller ronco he sells factory B stock very good seller and I have seen the RF-7ii's listed by him many times. I just recently bought a RC-64ii that was " factory B stock" but if you read the description he says it just had some box damage which I could not see upon arrival. Box looked mint, center itself is absolutely 100%mint and flawless. same day shipping and unbeatable prices. 

Lol No I am not affiliated with him in any way I just like to pass a good deal on when I see it and help a great seller out. Hell if I wasn't so invested in the heritage line I would pick up some RF-7ii's. Those have always been my dream speaker in terms of non heritage Klipsch. 

I would go to eBay and check out the seller ronco he sells factory B stock very good seller and I have seen the RF-7ii's listed by him many times. I just recently bought a RC-64ii that was " factory B stock" but if you read the description he says it just had some box damage which I could not see upon arrival. Box looked mint, center itself is absolutely 100%mint and flawless. same day shipping and unbeatable prices. 

Lol No I am not affiliated with him in any way I just like to pass a good deal on when I see it and help a great seller out. Hell if I wasn't so invested in the heritage line I would pick up some RF-7ii's. Those have always been my dream speaker in terms of non heritage Klipsch. 

I also purchased my 64ii from him, same descrition about a year ago.  I could not find a noticable flaw on the speaker, I think I paid $850 or $899 shipped.  I was very pleased.

• Like 1

I also purchased my 64ii from him, same descrition about a year ago.  I could not find a noticable flaw on the speaker, I think I paid $850 or $899 shipped.  I was very pleased.

Ya, honestly the deals you can find on eBay are ridiculous! I got both my Klipsch R-115SW's for 599 brand new and free shipping claiming "some box damage" and again box looked mint to me. 

I was looking at ronco coincidentally.

Great to hear he has served you all well.  That moved him up to the top of the list.

Now it's just:

New IIs

or

Used Is for 1/2 the price?

I would personally go with new ii's if you can afford it. I think the aesthetics alone is worth it. I never really cared for the look of the RF-7's I'm sure they sound amazing though. I just love that full wood look over the plastic front's of the originals. I think that alone kills it! That was actually one of the huge reasons I switched from the RP-450c center to the RC-64ii because I thought that plastic front killed the whole look. 

I fell in love with the looks of the IIs because of the wood and the copper cones.

I think if I go with the IIs I'd keep the grills off at all times as to not hide their beauty.  Not the case with the Is.

I have to wait until my 4 year old goes to bed to enjoy the beauty, lol.  He's never seen the grills off, and I don't want him to.  "Oh look, shiney!" poke, poke, poke, scratch, rips grills off breaking peg.  I do wish the 7's had magnetic grills like the 82's.

You shouldn't lie to your wife.

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.  And didn't have the courage to say. All kinds of excuses to say nothing came to mind, but the result is that I didn't. 

And I'll bet that Joe wants his wife to share fully in the enjoyment of those wonderful speakers.  Only thing is that it will not happen until she is his partner in their acquisition.