Hawk Attack

twk123

You guys all talk tough until a federal game warden shows up at your front door with a search and arrest warrant.

So are you saying that if he really had balls, then he should shoot the federal game warden too?

;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

You guys all talk tough until a federal game warden shows up at your front door with a search and arrest warrant.

So are you saying that if he really had balls, then he should shoot the federal game warden too?

;)

Scratches head.

Uh no, not saying, suggesting or implying any malice, ill will or anything of the sort.

Things rarely turn out good when you do not fully cooperate with a federal warrant except through recognized and proper channels.

I'm saying any advice that suggests someone commit a federal crime, even a lowly misdemeanor, is rarely backed by common sense or reality.

• Like 1

A guy I used to work with claimed to have shot a game warden once. He warned the officer that it was private property and not to climb over the fence. The rest is history. The old timer had some interesting tattoos on his knuckles. I don't know if he did them himself while in prison or while on the lamb. I don't even know if the old fart was telling the truth. I kinda think he was, though. He used to run off salespeople with a wrench.  :)

• Moderators

Hmmmm, equating a speeding ticket with a federal crime, those are two entirely different worlds.

This story of the swooping hawk drew my attention because of some of the fear responses that were posted. The "don't do anything, you will get in trouble." replies. Which are all an attempt to instill ones own or societal fears into another and to make one more afraid of living freely. The responses I did like, whether they were ever acted upon or not, were "do what you need to do, just be smart and be discrete." Those are not fear based responses, just an awareness of the world we live in, the nature of other human beings and to be intelligent about what you do. The similarities between a speeding ticket and this federal crime, is fear. Whether one is afraid to hit the gas or afraid of taking out a couple of birds, the commonality is the fear of getting caught. As well, both laws mentioned are similar in that they were all just invented in a room of old men, saying Ok, lets make this a law, a gavel is banged, some scribe scribbles it down on paper and its then added to some book sitting on a shelf and now we have a new law. Whether state or federal, they are both just ink print in a book. In the Vastness of Time, they are all just Dust in the Wind.
Lot and lots of people with that same philosophy.

Of course most of them are sitting in prison begging a court to understand that the ink on the page doesn't apply to them. Arguments like they are a non-person, a sovereign being.

The highest incarceration rate of any modern nation, thats a lot of people behinds bars.

Fear, for sure it is fear. The fancy word prosecutors use is "deterrence". None of it works unless the law has a deterrent effect.

Edited by dwilawyer

• Moderators

Ok, here are some older hawk photos so you can actually see what it looks like. They really are pretty majestic birds:

Incredible photos, much bigger than what I envisioned, still can't believe you stared that thing down.

For some reason he has selected you out. So is there mom and dad in there? Just him?

If it is just him, and no chicks left, they have flown the coop I would get a set of Bose and play screeching rabbits through them; if that doesn't work I heard Nancy Sinatra or Billy Ray Cyrus is almost guaranteed to get a migratory game bird migrating down the road.

Now is when it would be nice to have a helmet with a Go-Pro mounted on it. I wouldn think a drone could capture this all pretty good.

Isn't that what you lawyers refer to as "evidence" at his endangered species harassment trial? 

Whose side are you on?    :lol:   :P 

Edited by wvu80

twk123-

I'm with Travis. Don't risk criminal charges. Get a pith helmet with a Go-Pro. Just don't go out without the helmet. You don't want the hawk to see you pithed off.

In my prosecutor days, I tried a guy twice for poaching the same deer. The first time was at the insistence of an extremely dedicated Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officer, which led to a hung jury. The second time was because I was pissed that the lying SOB got off the first time. He was convicted and lost his hunting license.

It was bow season and the complainant was couched in a cornfield drawing a bead on a buck when shots flew over his head and the deer dropped. The irate bow hunter ran toward the shooter, who he knew, and chased him back to his house. The defendant, a firefighter, denied that he'd been out of his yard. He claimed that he was "setting the sights" of his son's .22 rifle. Forensics established that the fatal bullet came from that rifle.

The defendant got his wife and kid to lie and say that he never left the yard. He testified that he teaches hunting safety classes to youth, therefore, he would never do such a thing.

His neighbor, and now former friend, was so angry about being nearly shot, not to mention, losing an opportunity to get the deer legally with his bow and arrow, that he and the DNR officer were all in for a retrial. The judge was annoyed at what he perceived as a waste of the court's time, but the second jury saw through the BS and convicted the guy.

Back to your hawk. I know it's easy for me to say, but I doubt the hawk wants to do anything more than harass you. You are a formidable opponent. Just as the robin is willing to harass the much larger hawk, the hawk is willing to scare you, but neither wants a real confrontation. Seriously, wear a pith helmet and protective eye wear, just in case.

Good luck.

Edited by DizRotus

• Moderators

One point in all of this is that we are in a day and age we can understand the reasons behind protecting a hawk, eagle or other raptor.

On the other hand, they are all going to nest somewhere, raise their chicks for 30 days, and fall back on their natural instinct to protect the nest.

You would think that they would want to come out, Audubon people or State game warden to confirm species, give a hand out on what to expect, and a friendly reminder what not to do (climb up to photo chicks, cutting down nest, shooting them, etc.)

It would be cool to be able to capture some shots of those chicks, young hawks.

I do feel I have to clarify what I said earlier. I cut down the Robin's nest/bush AFTER the newborns had already learned to fly and left their nest.

I am having a problem right now with some nasty Robins .  They have taken over about a half sq mile of forest around my house, and have kicked out all of the forest birds. It is really lame, all the beautiful bird calls we usually hear are gone, all that's left are some eastern phoebes. The Robins even attack squirrels, I need a plan....

;)

Scratches head.

Uh no, not saying, suggesting or implying any malice, ill will or anything of the sort.

Things rarely turn out good when you do not fully cooperate with a federal warrant except through recognized and proper channels.

I'm saying any advice that suggests someone commit a federal crime, even a lowly misdemeanor, is rarely backed by common sense or reality.

Haha - I think you may have missed the intense sarcasm on my part :)

But for what it's worth, it's the intense philosophy and balanced perspectives (like you are showing here) that really causes me to respect the lawyers that I know personally. I just can't figure out how to lighten you guys up every once in a while :P

And yes, I'm fulling anticipating a lecture on how this is serious and shouldn't be a joking matter :):P

• Moderators

;)

Scratches head.

Haha - I think you may have missed the intense sarcasm on my part :)

But for what it's worth, it's the intense philosophy and balanced perspectives (like you are showing here) that really causes me to respect the lawyers that I know personally. I just can't figure out how to lighten you guys up every once in a while :P

And yes, I'm fulling anticipating a lecture on how this is serious and shouldn't be a joking matter :):P

Didn't you ever read to kill a mockingbird? It's all right in there.

• Like 1

I normally have an infestation of bald eagles but the nest down behind me is unoccupied this summer. We've kind of reached an agreement where if I shoot a coyote that's too close to the house, they'll clean it up.

Right now the hummingbirds are thick and I may have to spray for them soon.

post-33164-0-76160000-1467258226_thumb.j

One of the few best movies ever made.

This Movie,  and Andy Griffith offers ALLLL  life lessons For those "ready" for the "Teacher".

WATCH and LEARN  ---- Please ---- Please watch -    

Lars

Available on Netflix. Probably best movie ever, unless you're "not ready"..

And pay extra attention  when "Father passes" in Courtroom.  Lars