Auto repair question (water pump / Camry)

Coytee

Pump came with a paper type gasket.
You'll need to take a look at the flange of the replacement pump.

The factory pump (AISIN) has a molded channel that's designed to accept a continuous bead of  Toyota's FIPG sealant. A very reliable combination.

A few aftermarket pumps are machined flat, and use a gasket instead.

If the replacement pump flange has a channel, then ditch the gasket, order the correct sealant and proceed.

If not, then it all depends on the quality of the surface finish with the old pump removed. Mirror finishes can work with just a fiber gasket. Any defect though, and you'll have to hedge your luck with a good non-setting joint compound in addition to the gasket.....for which I'd highly recommend Hylomar.

• Like 1

I'm with you on the American made engines (Chevy & Olds)

This thing is a bugger to reach too.  Nothing like the 455 my Olds 442 had.

Just curious….what year 442? My older brothers were 442 guys, they had a couple 65 models and a 66. I had a 1969….cool cars.

ust curious….what year 442? My older brothers were 442 guys, they had a couple 65 models and a 66. I had a 1969….cool cars.

71 convertible with Hurst 3 speed.  

Kevin Harmon has (if I recall correctly) a 72.

Compressing RTV sealant can actually push your paper gasket out of line with your mating surfaces causing it to leak, avoid using a bunch of it on both sides.

Yellow gasket adhesive (gorilla snot) to adhere the paper gasket to the pump, allow to dry for a bit bit not cure and you can use a thin layer of RTV on the outside but it is not necessary.

I avoid RTV unless i need it on something like a warped valve cover that is no longer flat and even then i use the above method with Yellow adhesive.

• Like 1

Yellow gasket adhesive (gorilla snot) to adhere the paper gasket to the pump, allow to dry for a bit bit not cure

Yellow or black weatherstrip  (normally 3M) adhesive is what I always use on paper gaskets.  Have been for decades and never had a problem.  I'd never use RTV.

Yellow gasket adhesive (gorilla snot) to adhere the paper gasket to the pump, allow to dry for a bit bit not cure

Yellow or black weatherstrip  (normally 3M) adhesive is what I always use on paper gaskets.  Have been for decades and never had a problem.  I'd never use RTV.

That's the stuff, not really a great weatherstrip adhesive but perfect for keeping gaskets in place.

GM actually used RTV in place of gaskets for a while, did not hold up well long term.

RTV has its uses in many applications but a water pump gasket it is absolutely not needed.

ust curious….what year 442? My older brothers were 442 guys, they had a couple 65 models and a 66. I had a 1969….cool cars.

71 convertible with Hurst 3 speed.  

Kevin Harmon has (if I recall correctly) a 72.

Back when I was a lot younger and much cooler, I had two 72 Cutlass'. A hard top and a convertible!! Neither were 442s (I wasn't quite THAT cool). After many years, I could rebuild a QuadraJet in an hour. Through the course of time and raising four kids, they both are gone. Now I'm sad......

Get the pump to block mating surfaces good and clean. Take your time on cleaning those surfaces. That's the main thing. If new gasket is installed correctly, you shouldn't need any kind of sealant. If a gasket won't stay in play long enough to get pump on,  I like a product called "High Tack" applied to the gasket before installing. This always does the trick for me. I've installed many pumps and thermostats over the years without a problem.

0000-Permatex-High-Tack-Gasket-Sealant--