Well ran dry...

twk123

Well it happened again. The Utah lakes levels are dropping and so is the water table. 2 years ago the well on our rental ran dry so the company came and blew out the sentiment and re-cased it which worked for a while. Sure enough though, my Wife and I woke up on the 4th of July with no water. This is concerning as they had already did everything they can to get the well going but its just not deep enough to keep up with all the agricultural irrigation in the area. The company has been here in UT for a long time and the owner told me he has been warning our Landlord for literally over a decade to drill it deeper but he kept putting it off. That means we are going to have to truck in water or have them drill it which will cost my landlord over $10,000. Its a pain having to get water jugs for everything and my Wife is pregnant so I am always concerned about sanitation as well. At least my stereo still works...

That's horrible.  I'd be using a R.O. filter in the kitchen if I were you.  Hopefully it will be rectified soon.

That is an interesting idea actually. Do you think I would need it for the normal well water?

That's horrible.  I'd be using a R.O. filter in the kitchen if I were you.  Hopefully it will be rectified soon.

That is an interesting idea actually. Do you think I would need it for the normal well water?

Absolutely.  There's no telling what's in there.  If you want to look into them, check out APEC.  You can get them straight from the manufacturer but they're cheaper ELSEWHERE

• Like 1

I am no lawyer, but this could be considered an unlivable place without running water. He may be in breach of contract which means you may be able to move and get your security deposit back. Even if he decides to spend the $10,000 on a deeper well or erect a reservoir and truck the water in, that will take time.  If you should decide to move, I "think" you have a case.

My well ran dry back in the 90's and I had it drilled deeper and re-cased and it's been fine ever since. My home is in the Ohio River valley, and there is plenty of water down there. The bad part is that this is the land of duPont's C8 contamination. Even if we truck in water or connect to municipal, they all get water from wells...

• Like 1

I predicted years ago when that movie Tank Girl 1995 and it predicted water shortage by 2033  [looks like it might come true now] came out. That water would cost more than gas and look what people are paying for it now. The irrigation of farms is going crazy one farmer drills a deeper hole so next farmer has to drill deeper hole.

Then you got nestle corp. taking water out of the ground bottling it for free and selling it to people at crazy prices and creating huge amounts of plastic bottles that are collecting in the ocean and trash dumps.

Then Flint Michigan came up and Nestle is about 100 miles from there sucking all the water out of the ground now. Flint wants people to pay for poison water and arresting them for not paying.

Not to  mention the corrupt gov. in Michigan whose party I wont mention because of forum rules....lol

• Like 1

I sent "E" mails to all the governors along the Mississippi river stating they should create computer controlled overflow dams which keep the river at a constant depth for barges during/after floods. This would create about several trillion stored gallons of flood water per year which could bloom the desert. The overflow dams would feed huge storage lakes and/or replenish underground aquifers. The flood waters which normally are dumped back into the ocean would augment the fixed water supply of the U.S. and fight global warming---rising oceans. Didn't get any answers. China would do it.

JJK

I am no lawyer, but this could be considered an unlivable place without running water. He may be in breach of contract which means you may be able to move and get your security deposit back. Even if he decides to spend the $10,000 on a deeper well or erect a reservoir and truck the water in, that will take time.  If you should decide to move, I "think" you have a case.

My well ran dry back in the 90's and I had it drilled deeper and re-cased and it's been fine ever since. My home is in the Ohio River valley, and there is plenty of water down there. The bad part is that this is the land of duPont's C8 contamination. Even if we truck in water or connect to municipal, they all get water from wells...

I am withholding my rent check for July until this is figured out. My landlord is pretty apathetic about it. I text him my situation and told him I contacted the well company and all he responded with was, "Let me know."

This morning has been especially grim. I tried walking to the neighbors business to get water but on my way back while I was carrying a 5 gallon water container I was attacked by my resident hawk in the parking lot and had to duck for cover for 2-3 min between a fence and an electric box until it finally perched. :mad:

Its like all the risks of living in a primal society but made worse by the fact I cant just kill the damn birds like our ancestors did.

Absolutely.  There's no telling what's in there.  If you want to look into them, check out APEC.  You can get them straight from the manufacturer but they're cheaper ELSEWHERE

Thanks for the tip, I saw some on amazon for a good deal and will look into this. Especially if they truck in water and I dont know the source. We need an RO filter anyway because we are planning on moving back to CO soon and will most likely be on municipal water which I dont trust.

Just got back inside from talking with the my well professional. He is a great salt of the earth guy. Anyway, we are screwed. Took the well pipe out and used a tape measure to check water level- below 20' which is max depth for pump and well casing. They may try to blow the well out but that is a long shot. Our landlord may have to drill a new well or we might have to truck in water.

I have spent the last 40 years in water treatment. Currently I specialize in municipal water and wastewater treatment. at least I live in an area where water is plentiful. There are lots of different ways to treat well water, and the approach should be multi-faceted. The reject water from an RO unit should be disposed of properly (damn, that sounds like a regulator which I started out as). 

The water table in this country is at an unbelievable low level. Our kids and grandkids will have to fight wars over water. Sad, but true. We take safe water for granted in this country. Things happening such as Flint are failures of all levels of government. We have plenty of regulations, but if they are not enforced by operators and regulators... well.... Flint happens. 

I don't know of any operators or systems in the states I cover that try to cut corners on drinking water. Wastewater is another story in some states. Wastewater eventually becomes drinking water no matter where you are. 

I just think the water table issue is just being ignored. I have had to deal with losing a well. Not any fun!

• Like 1

The hawk, and now the lack of water. I wonder if there is a higher power trying desperately to send you a message. You might want to ask yourself what it is about this place that keeps you there, and more importantly, is it worth all this crap.

The hawk, and now the lack of water. I wonder if there is a higher power trying desperately to send you a message. You might want to ask yourself what it is about this place that keeps you there, and more importantly, is it worth all this crap.

This is interesting. We are actually in the process of moving to CO to be back closer to family and maybe this is the catalyst to get us out the door. The problem is we have been looking for a house but the market is off the rails insane right now.

As a landlord and not a barrister, I would THINK this does indeed make the home unlivable and the landlord would be required to fix it or relieve you from your lease. Still doesn't get you water and I know how much of a PIA that is as I had a job in high school delivering water to folks that had water tanks with a 5000 gallon truck. If I remember (and that is suspect at this age), we paid $1.50 for the water obtained from the city volunteer fire dept. I had a well put in here when we bought 3 1/2 years ago for the express purpose of lawn irrigation. Well guy struck water at about 70' but wanted to go deeper for better quality that wouldn't stain the brick. He stopped at 230'. The bill was $5200 with dig, tank, pump and plumbing. I then paid an electrician to connect up. I had samples analyzed and although the well had more particulates per million of sediment (drawn with no filtration) the harness and quality otherwise was better than tap.

I have mentioned in other threads about the corrosion issue we live with here. It totally destroys aircraft structure. We place pieces of 2024 aluminum in jars of municipal water used on our rinse and wash rack, water from the OSO Bay and water we took from the Coast Guard's Culligan treatment plant. The municipal water was the worst of all and attacked the aluminum quickly. We bought a 5000 gallon tank and equipment from Culligan and are using it to rinse after every flight and every 28 day wash job. I knows this means nothing but the servicers had issues getting the water spots of the cockpit windows before and now they don't even have to clean them after a wash. 

Best of luck to you!

• Moderators

This is interesting. We are actually in the process of moving to CO to be back closer to family and maybe this is the catalyst to get us out the door. The problem is we have been looking for a house but the market is off the rails insane right now.

This may be a sign to get you moved ?

Sorry to hear about the well, I wouldn't know what to do if it were me.

Try speaking to Realtors that have empty houses that are listed that aren't foreclosures. That's the easiest way to do a short term rental. Even if it's a short sale (technically not supposed to be able to rent as an owner in some states as it's against the law), it can help you on the amount of rent being paid, and if a bank knows the short sale is being rented, they will also pay you to move when the time comes. They do this sometimes as it keeps the property safe and secure and as it's being lived in, you will maintain it better than it being vacant.And if you really like the house, you can turn it into a purchase down the line, or a rent to own direct from the seller. You pay rent, then turn it into an option to purchase, and as long as the bank OK's the transaction, you do the purchase.It becomes even easier if you go through the bank that has the note.

As for the landlord, he is not following through on his end, but you need to check local laws on holding rent,as it's illegal to do so in many states. You can withhold it and keep a "copy of the check" or have the money available in some states as well. You should also speak to someone who knows the law there and see if you have to take him to court or not. By taking him to court and having a pregnant wife, the courts will most likely make him pay you up to 10x's the amount of rent and also pay for you to move. In NJ that's how it works.

• Like 1