AA networks...

Schu

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its all way over my head. I just like buying quality gear that matches (hopefully) well with my speakers and enjoy. 

And my guess is you fellas enjoy that "chase" for the right sound as much as I do, you just do it analytically and there ain't nothin' wrong with that. 

20 minutes ago, muel said:

might be even more interesting to see test results from the chamber at Klipsch.

Well... I was talking about Shu's new AA build with the Jupiters compared to his stock Al-4's.   However, It would be cool to see a Factory AA vs AL-4 response graph in a chamber.  Even more so, factory AA's vs AA's with boutique caps.   Could they sound different, yet have identical output across 20-20K cycles?

On August 9, 2016 at 6:27 PM, mark1101 said:

Looks like no one prefers the AA any longer.  :)

Right. 

There is some funny reasoning in this thread. 

I bought new AK-4 Klipschorns back in 2005 or thereabouts - and I think that lasted about six months before I was running Type A and AA networks. I've built them all, and even tried Al's ESNs with a hundred pounds of copper on them. I suppose it makes sense to some that the guy who's built or heard them all would use the networks that sound the worst. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Right. 

I bought new AK-4 Klipschorns back in 2005 or thereabouts - and I think that lasted about six months before I was running Type A and AA networks. I've built them all, and even tried Al's ESNs with a hundred pounds of copper on them. I suppose it makes sense to some that the guy who's built or heard them all would use the networks that sound the worst. 

image.jpeg

I don't believe it's about that Dean.

Couldn't Klipsch say the same thing? Why wouldn't they use the best testing and sounding networks..?

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
10 hours ago, Deang said:

Right. 

image.jpeg

Right you ARE THE EXPERT after all!  Lol!

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees

I think the bottoms line with me is this....use the correct network network for the design of the speaker. If you are going to use "better" components then for Petes sakes have the freq adjusted. If you don't then you will do the same amount of damage if you use an eq. And no abritarily changing nets does not give you a better sounding speaker. It gives you a different sounding speaker and it is no longer a Klipsch speaker. Damn I feel better. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Schu said:

Bottom line for me... does it sound good.

Both the AL-4's and the AA circuits have strengths and weaknesses... imho.

6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Again. I disagree.  You are compensating for your recordings. The network is an integral part of the speaker design. Where this arbitrary swapping of networks came from I have no idea. 

I believe based on facts and experiences that the Loudspeaker, Recording, and Listening Room Acoustics are the 3 most dominate factors determining the quality of reproduction from a recording.  It obvious that to alter/modify any of these 3 dominate factors will change our perception of the reproduction. Since all 3 dominate factors interact with each other to influence our perception it's vital if highest quality of reproduction(including enjoyment) is your goal that each be as accurate and thus neutral as possible and not have one attempting to compensate for the flaws of the other.

I believe it is very obvious that to use the loudspeaker/network or room to attempt to compensate for Recordings is extremely limited eq method and a poor path to follow.

I believe it is also obvious that two of the network's most vital jobs should be to combine the individual components making up the loudspeaker for the designer's target frequency and polar responses. The designer knowing the loudspeaker will be installed in a listening room has to make certain assumptions that will be factored into his loudspeaker design but ultimately it is obvious that our room's acoustical properties are going to have a great influence on the final reproduced sound experienced and this is where we have the responsibility to take over and provide the most accurate/balanced acoustical path to our listening areas for our chosen loudspeaker design.

Ultimately it should become obvious that if poor recordings or room acoustics are a problem the loudspeaker's network can have an audible influence on the perceived sound quality but it is the least effective and most limited tool to attempt compensation for those issues.

miketn

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

I think the bottoms line with me is this....use the correct network network for the design of the speaker. If you are going to use "better" components then for Petes sakes have the freq adjusted. If you don't then you will do the same amount of damage if you use an eq. And no abritarily changing nets does not give you a better sounding speaker. It gives you a different sounding speaker and it is no longer a Klipsch speaker. Damn I feel better. 

What do you mean by "freq adjusted"? How is that done, different values caps and inductors?