college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Michigan and Ohio State will flesh it out here before too long anyway.

A week ago I would have picked Michigan, but now I'm not sure.

I think the Big Ten gets one representative in the semis and that will be Ohio State.

If Michigan does not lose to Indiana; if Ohio State does not lose to Michigan State, the winner of Buckeyes vs. Wolverines will probably be in the CFP.  The danger to both teams is looking beyond next Saturday.

Those are not insignificant "ifs."  The Hoosiers are probably a better team than the Hawkeyes.  If Speight is not healthy, and if Michigan doesn't play better than they did against Iowa, losing to Indiana is a distinct possibility.

The possibility of OSU losing to MSU in East Lansing is much less likely.  The Spartans are banged up.  Their freshman starting left guard, Tyler Higby, is out for the duration, which is a metaphor for the season. Nonetheless, Urban must convince his team to come ready to play MSU on Saturday.  

Harbaugh and Meyer must coach their teams beyond next week's "trap games."  If UM and OSU don't take care of business next week, the game the following week loses impact.  Wisconsin might be the team to represent B1G in CFP.

Michigan vs. Western Michigan in a bowl game becomes closer to reality.  That would be a nightmare for Michigan, but a windfall for WMU.  Personally, I'd like to see a playoff for the championship of the State of Michigan.

To quote Lee Corso, " Not so fast . . . "

Penn State is not going away, with two games left, one against Rutgers and the other against MSU in Happy Valley.  It's very hard, but not impossible, to see the Nittany Lions losing to Rutgers.  Similarly, a season ending home victory over Sparty is likely.  

That would leave PSU with a single B1G loss.  If OSU wins out, it has a single B1G loss to, wait for it, PSU, so the Lions would play for the B1G championship and a probable spot in CFP.  As we heard election night, there are paths to the CFP for Michigan and OSU, but those paths are littered with pitfalls.  This is what makes college football exciting.  A sense of entitlement is worthless, if not dangerous.  The games must be played and won on the field.

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I think the Big Ten gets one representative in the semis and that will be Ohio State.

It's very complicated.  If OSU beats UM and PSU wins out, PSU plays in the B1G championship game.  If UM beats Indiana and OSU, and if PSU wins out, then both UM and PSU end with a single loss in conference.  However, PSU also has a non-conference loss so, I believe, UM would play in the B1G championship game.

If OSU beats UM, unless Penn State loses to Rutgers or MSU, each of which which is unlikely, PSU will play in the B1G championship game.  A victory there will probably earn the champ a spot in the CFP.  If PSU ends up in that position, and if OSU beats UM, then OSU would have a single loss to PSU.  Might OSU also make the CFP?

All of this ignores the B1G West Division winner, probably Wisconsin, which could win the B1G championship and earn a spot in the CFP.  If PSU loses to Wisconsin in the B1G championship, and OSU has a single loss, perhaps a 1 loss OSU would get spot in the CFP, despite not being the B1G Champ.

I feel a headache coming on, but not as big as the headache for P.J. Fleck and an undefeated Western Michigan University team that would be left out of the CFP mix.  The CFP officials are probably hoping that WMU loses one of its final regular season games, or loses the MAC championship game, to avoid the drama.  WMU plays Buffalo at home on Saturday as the site of ESPN's College Game Day.  (http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/11/13/western-michigan-football-college-gameday/93765404/)  It's difficult to see the Broncos losing to Buffalo on Game Day.  Their final game against Toledo could be a test.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

...It's very complicated. (snip!)...I feel a headache coming on,

but not as big as the headache for P.J. Fleck and an undefeated Western Michigan University team that would be left out of the CFP mix.  The CFP officials are probably hoping that WMU loses its final regular season game, or loses the MAC championship game, to avoid the drama.

You explained that very well!

+++

And as far as Western Michigan is concerned, the AP writers have them at #14 but the Coaches have correctly IMO capped them at #21 with no chance of advancing out of that group of 21-25.

I think Michigan and OSU lost were simply from playing tough football every game.  Forget the scores in some of the games.  I am talking about beat up player.  Whoever is healtiest and ready to play for a national title will win the game in a couple of weeks.  The Big Ten has been tough as a conference this year.  Just look at Indiana, their record does not reflect a winning team but, they have played everybody hard for the most part.

Bama may be over rated like a few years back when OSU beat them down physically and just dominated them in the Championship game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Bama may be over rated

They are undefeated and it hasn't been close against several top 10 opponents . Maybe you missed that stomp down USC game earlier in the season? :) 

Somehow at #1 in the nation, if anything, they are underrated. They are the standard by which all others are measured. So far, nobody looks even close. Any team can be beat on any Saturday. That said, I don't see who can do it.

• Like 1

Trent Richardson? Looks like quite a resume.

9 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Trent Richardson? Looks like quite a resume.

You forgot round 1 NFL draft pick.

JJK

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

You forgot round 1 NFL draft pick.

JJK

My sarcasm meter has fresh batteries.  JJK seems to be implying that Trent Richardson would be a poor choice, given his NFL bust, to return to Alabama to advise the current team.  His advice would be suspect.  I could be wrong, but that's what I inferred from JJK's posts.  

In any case, Alabama deserves to be #1 until they are beaten.  Even one loss would only put them on an equal footing with everyone but WMU, which doesn't count.

Alabama sets the standard, at least for now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And you forgot (almost) complete NFL bust

College football thread? :)

As I recall Richardson signed at guaranteed $20 million dollar contract with the Browns. He had a known bad knee when he signed that contract. Like so many athletes, he never really got over that injury.