college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

58 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It's not over, keep yapping...

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

Have you seen the white out in the Big House at Ann Arbor in the 4th?  The yard lines are gone, you can't see the crowd across the field.  Wow.   :blink:

OU 21 WVU 0, first quarter.  Analysis:  OU did everything right, WVU did everything wrong.

We are NOT having a good time.  :angry:

+++

Edit:  Now 28-0.  WVU fumbled at the OK goal line when about to score.  Held OK to a punt where for no reason whatsoever the WVU defender ran straight into the punter, no chance to block the kick. Fifteen yards, OK keeps the ball.   Another personal foul on the OK drive.  It really looks like they are TRYING to throw the game, no kidding.

EDIT EDIT:  ANOTHER WVU fumble on the OK goal line.  C'mon, man.  :(

It turned out to be a sloppy first half for WV (both halves actually) and a sloppy second half for OU. 

Still, OU was by far the better team and I hope they go on to represent the Big 12 for the national championship.  I think they will jump into the top 6 on the back of the impressive WVU win, West Virginia will be lucky if they don't fall out of the top 20.

The plot thickens.  Neither OSU nor UM was terribly impressive in their respective victories. Wisconsin and Penn State dispatched their weak opponents.  The loser of UM vs. OSU next week will be on the outside looking in.  If UM wins, they play in the B1G Championship.  If OSU wins, PSU must lose, if OSU is to play in the B1G Championship. If  PSU beats MSU and OSU beats UM, PSU would play in the B1G Championship and the B1G Champion might be passed over for the CFP in favor of a 1-loss OSU.  It looks more and more like a two-loss team, or two, or three will play in the CFP.

Even undefeated Alabama looked vulnerable as it chew chewed it's way through Chattanooga, which also lost to Citadel and Wofford . .  . that's right . . . Wofford.  A 31 - 3 victory over Chattanooga is not a quality win.

The only certainty is that undefeated Western Michigan will get screwed.

Isn't college football great!  Lots of possibilities in the big 10 and just having PSU with a path to the championship game is a far cry from where we've been but injuries are really mounting up.  Many big games next week and I'm sure there's going to be some movement and controversy when the dust clears.  4 teams just doesn't cut it for the championship and 8 would be the correct number IMHO.

Can't wait until next Saturday!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

4 teams just doesn't cut it for the championship and 8 would be the correct number IMHO.

Can't wait until next Saturday!

Certainly agree with you on both counts there Pete....Just gotta wonder why the NCAA has 64 teams in the basketball tourney, and think nothing of it, and yet there's been this gigantic decades long struggle to put a football playoff in place, and it's only 4 teams.....dumb.

If Bama wins out then there won't be any controversy but that's a tall order for anyone, even Bama, when you consider what their next 3-4 games will be.  Auburn, Florida, and then the "toughest" game or games, and when you look at who they've already played this year, what a program.  I'm closing next Saturday because my sales people are huge OSU and Michigan fans so they can watch the game, in fact, we will probably all be together watching from noon until midnight, or until too much alcohol and food have been consumed.

10 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Just gotta wonder why the NCAA has 64 teams in the basketball tourney, and think nothing of it, and yet there's been this gigantic decades long struggle to put a football playoff in place, and it's only 4 teams.....dumb.

Follow the money. 

The current bowl system is TREMENDOUSLY profitable.  I haven't seen the numbers in the past few years, but it used to be the case that the top financial bowl for the participating teams was the Rose Bowl (around 7 million), not the national championship.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Michigan St. almost pulled it off.

They went for 2 based on the record.  They didn't need a tie.  A win would have gave them a big boost for the end of the season and going into next year.  Penn St. is playing some nice ball and the committe always looks hard at who is the best team now in selecting the final 4.  Don't forget Washington at # 6.

I know they could have went to overtime.  D'Antonio may not have thought his team could pull it off.  They may have  been worn down and beat up.  I see that problem with OSU, MIchigan, Clemson and a few others.  Other teams come gunning for them week after week.  It's not an excuse, it just happens.  Staying healthy is hard for a team and the one that does, will shine in the playoffs.

WEEK 13 Rankings AP and Coaches

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

Not many changes at the top.

Surprises:  My Mountaineers fell 9 spots to 19th in the AP.  I was surprised Oklahoma only gained one spot to 7th.  At this point in the season winning gains you little upward movement, a loss will drop you like a rock.

The AP has undefeated Western Michigan at 14th.  Does anybody really think WMU could beat 15th ranked Florida State?  Or 16th ranked Auburn?