college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

The ball broke the plane on forward progress. The replay confirmed it.  Only when viewed through maize colored glasses did he not get a first down.

Whining about officiating after a Michigan loss, that's a novelty.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask how's that Sparty team of yours? Which bowl game will they be playing in?

Barring losses in their (Alabama, Clemson & Washington) respective conference championship games, the CFP looks like:

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3.  Clemson

4. Washington

My son is apoplectic about any school (OSU) being in the CFP without even winning its division in its conference.  If the CFP included at least 8 teams, he wouldn't be so upset.  If there were 8 spots, which 8 teams should be included?

On another note, why must the Army Navy game be played so late?  Despite Army being 1-14-1 against Navy since 2000, it still means something to both programs.  Nonetheless, it would be unfortunate if any Navy players were to sustain an injury that would impact Navy's bowl chances.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Wasn't Ry Cooter a musician? I'm sure I spelled it wrong

Mark

Ryland "Ry" Cooder is a musician.  Jim Bob Cooter is the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

If correct spelling or proper grammar were mandatory, this forum would be a desert.

• Like 1

Seems the root cause in all things sports and losing are the refs/umpires. Not the 3-4 hours of questionable play and play calling by those in the trenches. Hard to find a team and coach that played and coached a perfectly flawless game and lost to a refs call.

Very similar in theory to the Green Party and Jill Stein challenging the presidential outcome, Jill was such a force in the election!

Things didn't go their way so lets cry foul, bad refs. Bet all her children have trophys for never playing and finishing last. 

• Like 1

Lurking over at a Michigan forum reading OSU and Michigan fans go at it and came across this post.

If true, something is rotten in Denmark and the Big10

The big ten officiating crew for the game contained Daniel Capron (lead official), Kevin Schwarzel (back judge), and Bobby Sagers (side judge). See http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/112616aaa.html.

Schwartzel is an Athens, Ohio businessman who refs Big Ten games. He's also a life-long Ohio State fan. Without even taking his fandom into account, he was barred from officiating the 2006 Michigan/osu game simply by being from Ohio. Yet he officiated the game yesterday. See http://www.athensnews.com/…/article_ff61a741-18ae-57a0-ba31….

Sagers is also from Ohio. This year, he was inducted into the OHSAA hall of fame, ceremony in Columbus. http://www.wsaz.com/…/Fifteen-Individuals-Set-to-Enter-OHSA…

And Capron--the lead referee--was fired by the big ten in 2002 for poor officiating.
http://www.purdueexponent.org/…/article_f22a455e-1bc6-504f-…

So this is the situation. You have a self-pronounced life-long Ohio State fan in the position to make the no-call on Grant Perry's pass interference, and the pass-interference call on Delano Hill--crucial, game-changing calls at the end of the game. You also have an official inducted in the Ohio High School hall of fame--someone who is likely connected with other Ohio higher-ups--likely spotting the ball at the end of the game. (I'm not sure if he actually spotted it, but I'm pretty sure he's one of the guys running in from the sidelines along the yard line that he thinks the ball is on.) Whoever actually spotted the ball knew that, because overtime play starts at the 25 yard line, spotting the ball exactly on the 15 will give OSU a first down. Finally, all of this is reviewed by a lead official whom the big ten fired in 2002 for incompetence.

An OSU victory also was good for the big ten. If Michigan wins, it goes to the big ten championship, where the winner of Michigan and Wisconsin will make the playoffs; but if OSU wins, it sits home, while Wisconsin and Penn State play each other. OSU makes the playoffs, as does the winner of Wisconsin and Penn State. That's double the TV revenue on New Year's Eve for round one--money that Maryland and Rutgers and everyone else who sucks and have contributed nothing to anything get to share.

I'm not going to defame anyone and say that the game was indeed fixed. All I can do is point to inherent biases in some of the officials. And I can highlight Jim Delaney's and the big ten's "motivation" for fixing the game (again, not saying they actually did it without further proof). My hope is that we can learn from this experience and create a better process for selecting officials in the future.

3 minutes ago, EmilC said:

If true, something is rotten in Denmark and the Big10

Losers always complain about the winners.

You can't blame the refs.  Ohio State fans will point out to Michigan fans that if their team was superior the game should not have been so close that the refs could influence the outcome.

I'm a fan of referees.    :emotion-21:   :D

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Losers always complain about the winners.

You can't blame the refs.  Ohio State fans will point out to Michigan fans that if their team was superior the game should not have been so close that the refs could influence the outcome.

I'm a fan of referees.    :emotion-21:   :D

Dave

If the above post is true that the refs were Ohio natives, you can see a potential conflict of interest. True, Michigan was the better team but also had a big influence over their own demise.

Regarding the "Help From My Friends" video. Just think for a moment and put your tin foil hat on.. The big10 and college football in general is a big business with mucho money involved. How could they possible allow their golden egg, OSU, lose to PSU and be out of the playoffs. OSU needed to win and win big against a mediocre PSU team but had to settle for a close one instead. A win by PSU would have brought nothing into the coffers of the Big 10.

Tin foil hat off