Crites A55-G vs K55V

scalawag

As shared in previous threads, I have been updating/upgrading my vintage 'Scalas over the past couple of years with Dave Fastrac Horns and Bob Crites AA x-overs, and more recently the CT120 HF drivers.  I have been very happy with the overall results as I tend to listen to my system much more now than in the past, though I suspect many of you Klipsch purists frown at the idea of swapping out PWK elements for "after-market" parts.

So just last week I noticed a new mid-range driver (A55-G) being offered by B&K Sound as a direct replacement for the K55-V.  I contacted Bob for a little more info, after which I decided to take the plunge and purchased a set of the A55-G drivers.  Delivery was quick, and packaging was safe and secure.  I mounted one of the new drivers, then did an A/B test in mono mode for comparison.  My initial impression is that the A55-G pushes the mid-range freq more to the front of the sound stage, and that the high freq seems to be just a wee bit accented for whatever reason.  The overall effect is noticeable, though I really can't say at this point if it's improved or just "different."  I am confident that over time I will appreciate the changes, but even if I don't I can always plug the K55V's back into the top bin as before.  

Here is a pic showing the mid-range drivers side by side.  The A55-G is very similar in size but feels a bit heavier, and threads into the horn as the original.  

Thanks for reading - happy listening!

Crites A55-G.jpg

• Like 2

Part of what he's hearing is the difference between the single phase plug and dual phase plug designs. The dual phase plug design has an extended response out to 6kHz (doesn't need the horn's help to get there). 

Allen's driver sounds cleaner to me. During comparisons with my dual phase plug K-55-Vs - it was especially noticeable with movies, where there was a marked improvement in dialogue intelligibility. I'm a big fan of the Atlas PD5, so I didn't take making this change lightly. I was looking for a reason not to use it.  

Very cool! I was wondering when someone was going to post about these new drivers as the original thread was deleted. I bought a pair myself for a HIP project but so far they've just been sitting on a shelf. I agree with the above, give them some break in time before making any solid conclusions, they could change a bit for the better.

1 hour ago, Honeybadger said:

Please update once you have got those drivers broke in.

34 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I agree with the above, give them some break in time before making any solid conclusions, they could change a bit for the better.

Break-in is practically almost immediate upon first power up according to this Q&A on the Crites website:

Q:  How about break-in time for drivers or new driver diaphragms?

A:  Yes, and depends on the size of the driver.  Tweeter diaphragm probably break-in at a matter of seconds.  They are very low mass and move very little, so any break in would happen almost instantly.  Probably happened when the factory tested the diaphragm after manufacture.

Midrange are a bit bigger and have a bit more mass.  Break-in is probably on the order of minutes with these.

Woofers would take the longest.  I think that break-in on a 12 to 15 inch woofer would be less than an hour played at pretty good volume using music with a lot of low frequency content.  

I am on the fence about going with the new driver. I have spoken with bob about it, and while 37% less distortion is remarkable, I dont really want a more forward mid section. I have to think about this a bit before making a decision.

30 minutes ago, Schu said:

I am on the fence about going with the new driver. I have spoken with bob about it, and while 37% less distortion is remarkable, I dont really want a more forward mid section. I have to think about this a bit before making a decision.

Schu, you might want to consider that "forward" is a highly subjective term and the way you think about it might not be the way the OP thinks about it.

I have unmolested 1978 Khorns with the aforementioned K-55-V driver AA crossovers and frankly I would like some more mid-range.  My descriptive language does not include "forward" since I don't know what that means.  I do think I would like to hear some additional articulation in the mid-range.  For instance I want to hear more clarity between the 1st and 3rd part trumpet parts, whereas right now it tends to blend together to my ears.

As Mustang Guy has correctly pointed out to me I might be complaining about the sound created by old worn-out caps, or maybe my AVR isn't producing the sound I expect.  It might not be the mid-range driver that is failing to produce the sound I expect.  In short, there are just too many variables to point the finger.

I can appreciate that... right now I continue to struggle with some issues where the mids are to far forward in listening environment. On good recordings everything is honky dory, but on. Marginal or bad recordings its painfully apparent that there is a lot of emphasis on the area in my current set up. I am already planning on even more room treatments in an effort to corral the reflections. I am just worried that if I buy these they might exacerbate the issue even though they are probably better drivers.

I am just thinking outloud and this only pertains to my individual set up.