Placing a speaker in front of a Khorn?

jimjimbo

Wondering what the negatives would be to placing a speaker directly in front of a Khorn?  Obviously not touching the front of the Khorn, but perhaps 4-6 inches.....Certainly not anything tall enough to block the mid/tweeter.  Heresy/Chorus/Belle?  Or, if anyone currently does it, could you share your experience.  Thanks.

Wired in series or parallel?

Perhaps I should have explained myself a little better. They would not be playing at the same time, however I am wondering if while playing the Khorn there would be any detrimental effect to having something placed directly in front of it.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Wondering what the negatives would be to placing a speaker directly in front of a Khorn?  Obviously not touching the front of the Khorn, but perhaps 4-6 inches.....Certainly not anything tall enough to block the mid/tweeter.  Heresy/Chorus/Belle?  Or, if anyone currently does it, could you share your experience.  Thanks.

Actually, if the speakers placed in front were triangular and the same width as the center panel on the bass bin, you'd be improving the bass bin performance of the Khorns without the front speakers playing at all. 

The distance between the left and right side horn mouths of a Khorn bass bin forms a "two source diffraction" configuration, as is.  If placing something out front that allows the two mouths to converge toward each other (sometimes, this is called a "nose" on the bass bin), the diffraction problem will be lessened and the effective bass bin length lengthened somewhat, thus improving the bass performance.  Putting even a rectangular speaker box in front will approximate a triangular "nose" to some degree, thus improving performance.  Try it--you might like the results.

I'd put something acoustically absorbent on top of the front speakers to absorb the nearfield energy of the Khorn midrange.  Thicker material is better than thin.  Two layers are better than one.  I'd also place the front loudspeaker touching the Khorn bass bin behind it--no gaps.

Chris

Jim, it is worth a try since you will be the final judge on how the sound of the Khorns are affected.  In general it is best not to put objects in front of speakers.  They will act as a boudary.  This may muddy up the bass response or degrade the stereo imaging.  The Khorns are very tall and imaging may not suffer.  It like the recommended distance of 18 inches to 2 ft for speakers from a boundary.  This may not be possible and we all work with the room that we have.

• Like 1

Which speakers are you worried about having the ill effects of the sound on.  If they are smaller than the k-horns then Chris's point is likely correct when playing the k-horns.  If you are going to be using the speakers in front of the k-horns, the k-horn in the corners makes a good bass trap, at least in my room.  It allowed for better and smoother bass response then when nothing is in the corner.

• Like 1

Don't know if this will help. But when I was testing the RB-35s I got for my son in front of my Ks they sounded awesome. And when you closed your eyes you would swear the Ks were on. Even my son said that when he walked in the door, he said is that sound coming from just the Rb-35s. I think hey should have kept making the RB-35s and the one up from there cause those sounded awesome I think.