If it's too loud...

Woofers and Tweeters

Well, I used to not be scared of heights, but now that's not the case. In my surefooted younger days, I climbed a few towers, launched off of high places into water, walked beams hanging steel, and was a bit of a daredevil dumba$$. Now I want to keep my feet glued to the ground. It's not difficult to imagine someone having trouble in confined areas, and going into an angst overload in a crawling cave. I guess we all used to look for a threatening challenge, run with scissors, drive faster and take more chances, some things we still do. I can't comfortably watch a video of someone climbing a high place. I guess it's too loud and I'm getting old. Is there something that you never could or used to do but are a bit chicken now...Ex: Flying, swim in the ocean, climbing, chasing married women, start fights, go fast, etc...?

wwww.jpg

• Like 7

That's crazy James... I don't think I could walk there...

Many years ago when I was in the Army I was stationed in El Paso TX. I was a crewchief on a Med-E-Vac helicopter, it was a old Huey. We would go out on missions or just flying around.... anytime they needed a chief I would go. We would sometimes fly with the doors open it was great. There was a vest that I would wear called a monkey vest.. the vest had a strap on the back of it that you could secure to one of the rings on the floor of the helicopter. We also used them while doing hoist missions. I would strap on that vest and have my feet on the skids of the helicopter while flying...or just sitting on the edge of the floor of the aircraft..... man it was a blast... some of the pilots wouldn't let us do it, but the old Vietnam vet pilots didn't care... I felt secure with that vest on...

Now, one weekend a bunch of us went out rock climbing. We all started climbing these rocks, well I got about 1/4 way up and I couldn't do any more. I had to climb down.... I could not do it, and we were all drinking beer. I had to meet the guys around the other side of the rock formation. 

So I could hang out of a helicopter with this strap holding me with all my weight on it 1000+ ft ..... but I was unable to climb up some rocks a few 100 ft..... Even today I don't like climbing.... I'll get on my roof to blow leaves off but I don't like it:blink2:

7 minutes ago, SWL said:

I can't even look at that pic without crapping my pants.

For real.....

MKP :-)

• Like 5

I started having balance troubles a couple years ago, I have a pinched Vestibular nerve in my right ear. I did a little amateur motorcycle road racing until recently, but don't have that desire to get back on the track anytime soon. I do have an appointment next week with an ENT dr, it might be repairable. The good part is my hearing didn't get damaged.

That's a powerful photo James, I wonder if it's been altered?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, babadono said:

Oh  yea and I've always been a chicken, but I do love me a good roller coaster ride.

haven’t been on a roller coaster in a few years.  I can handle the speed and the drops; but, no way i’m going to subject myself to any spinning.  A couple of years ago, i had a short bout of Vertigo ... oh man, is that some intense dizziness. A violent dizzy, like someone is pushing you down. I got up one morning and started stumbling, caught my balance about two or three steps from a sliding glass door. Another time i was holding on tightly to the arm of the chair thinking i was falling off of it.

Thank God, it only lasted about a week.  A friend of mine had it for a month.  long story longer ... i’m afraid to spin around now fearing it will trigger the Vertigo to return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I did a little amateur motorcycle road racing until recently, but don't have that desire to get back on the track anytime soon.

I didn't know that you stopped. Sorry to hear that. I only raced a couple of season with WERA and AHRMA. I miss it all the time but wanted to hang my leathers up while I was on top. 

• Like 2

That picture is for real.  It's of a glass walkway in China.  As well, there are two glass-floored pedestrian bridges, one already open, one opening soon.  Various stunts were done to reassure the public that they're safe to walk on, like striking the glass with a sledgehammer, and even driving a car full of people across it.

As for me, I've walked on the glass floor panels at the CN Tower in Toronto, which are 1122 ft/342 metres above the parking lot.  That felt chancy enough for me.

Here's some info on the Chinese walkway and bridges:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36961264

It makes the CN Tower glass floor look a bit tame:  http://www.cntower.ca/en-ca/plan-your-visit/attractions/glass-floor.html

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Weber said:

chasing married women, start fights,

Those two things plus some of the others. In another life I climbed radio Tv towers (hundreds of feet) doing electrical work, heights still give me a rush but at my age I know how much I hate pain and am having a great time and don't want to chance it doing dumb things, I do enough of them already. 

• Like 2