Is There Much Difference Between The Galaaxy S5 and S6

thebes

Going to change carriers and thinking an S5 at around $200 new, or a $100 cheaper than the S6 might be the way to go.

Only had a smartphone for about four months now and am not at all addicted to the things like so many others are, so it won't be getting heavy use.

Want touse the Samsung's cause I've already learned how to use one and can't stand i anything.

Oh the reason I'm dropping my current carrier, Sprint, is a doozy.  Here's a portion of my complaint to my State's attorney general:

"On November 28, 2016 I mailed out a check to cover usage charges for the following month with a due date of December 2, 2016.Apparently the check was delayed in the mail and did not arrive until December 8, 2016.

However, on December 7, the day before the check arrived, Sprint hacked my phone so that it would only call their billing department.  I want to emphasize that I own this phone, not Sprint.  It is not a rental but my own property.  By entering my phone and manipulating the software they seized my property.

Now I can fully understand that it is within their right to cut off service for non-payment.  However, this is not what they did.  In effect they seized my phone.  This is robbery pure and simple.

I can hardly believe that I am the only one in the State of Virginia affected by this type of seizure and would request that you investigate the matter and prosecute Sprint Corporation under the relevant statutes."

• Like 1

I had both the four five and six... my current six is the edge.

Faster processors and storage increases, but other wise very similar. Of course each iteration has a newer operating system but they are very similar. Typing is much better on the six

There is supposed to be a new phone coming soon... so if you got the five,that would be four gens old where the six would only be three gens.

43 minutes ago, Schu said:

There is supposed to be a new phone coming soon... so if you got the five,that would be four gens old where the six would only be three gens.

Yeah that's one of my concerns, but OT has a point in the non-replaceable battery in the six.  Indeed it's one of my main concerns given the that every battery in every piece of electronics I've ever owned has failed at some point. 

But better typing is also good since texting is becoming more and more of a necessity, rather than a shortcut.

I could care less about the cameras.  They are all more than adequate for what I'd use them for.  And quite frankly I wish they had no cameras so I could actually enjoy a concert without all the brain dead pin heads playing with them all through the concert.

ive been android guy for a long time and I personally have never had a battery failure, ever... But I try and change my phone every generation or two. So that means one to two years max.

The wife has Apple and I have had to replace batteries and screens more than once.

• Moderators

I went from S3 to the Note 7 awesome phone until they started catching fire.  Got the new Note 7, and they made me give that one back too and they gave me a S7 Edge I think.  Nice phone.

Sorry I can't help on 5 and 6 Marty, but get a case for it whatever you do, you will thank me.

Edited by dwilawyer
Add correct model numbers

I have replaced the battery in the S3 mini recently.  When you keep your stuff as long as I do it is more important to me than it is to others.  This is the second, count them, two, cell phone I have ever owned since about the year 2000.  New battery $50 some odd at Batteries Plus, lifetime warranty.  New phone?  Hundreds more.  I suspect Thebes, being an old fart who spins old vinyl, has similar habits.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 4:12 PM, Schu said:

Yeah that's one of my concerns, but OT has a point in the non-replaceable battery in the six.  Indeed it's one of my main concerns given the that every battery in every piece of electronics I've ever owned has failed at some point. 

But better typing is also good since texting is becoming more and more of a necessity, rather than a shortcut.

I could care less about the cameras.  They are all more than adequate for what I'd use them for.  And quite frankly I wish they had no cameras so I could actually enjoy a concert without all the brain dead pin heads playing with them all through the concert.

8 minutes ago, thebes said:

Deja vu...

I wrote the above yesterday and apparently never posted it.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems like given the small improvements between models, I'll go for the cheaper one which will give me more money to buy music.

Has anybody ever noticed not a single review on cell phones ever mentions the sound quality of the actual phone part of the phone?  Time-after-time while talking with people with smart phones using my old flip phone I'd notice just how bad the sound was and how distorted and garbled most smart phone conversation are even accounting for for the poor connections that seem to be the norm in the cell world versus landlines.

I'm also surprised that nobody commented on the fact that Sprint could hijack my phone like that. To me its scary. Wonder what else they are stripping off your phone while you blithely go about giving them all the information anyone could desire.  Glad I do nothing financial with a smart p[hone.  God help you poor suckers who do.