Jubilee's vs K-horns

AaronB123

3 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I'm sitting a good 10 feet back from them. I would definitely still keep the jubilee's in the corners too. Hell, if I did this I may not even sell the K-horns I mean they are 70th anniversary edition! 

Way too close if they are 21 feet apart, use the triangle method with the horns either aimed slightly in front of you or slightly behind (to taste).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jason str said:

Way too close if they are 21 feet apart, use the triangle method with the horns either aimed slightly in front of you or slightly behind (to taste).

I do have them aimed slightly behind me. I have them toed in to taste. Since they are closed back I don't have them perfectly in the corner, also because one wall has a pipe preventing me from that. 

2 minutes ago, jason str said:

I was going to say the same thing. I have mine 19 feet apart and I am 13 feet back and it is borderline too close, but I have a wall behind me and that is as far as I can go. Any closer and the sound starts to get closed in. 

1 minute ago, Lost240 said:

I was going to say the same thing. I have mine 19 feet apart and I am 13 feet back and it is borderline too close, but I have a wall behind me and that is as far as I can go. Any closer and the sound starts to get closed in. 

I have a wall behind me as well, this is as far back as I can go too. 

I learned very quickly that the placement is crucial with the Khorns. I set them 13 feet apart at first and everything sounded like it had a sock over it. The sound was small and muffled. No matter where I sat it really didn't help. I would play with the distance as @jason str mentioned. With your new subs you won't be lacking in the bass department. 

2 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

I learned very quickly that the placement is crucial with the Khorns. I set them 13 feet apart at first and everything sounded like it had a sock over it. The sound was small and muffled. No matter where I sat it really didn't help. I would play with the distance as @jason str mentioned. With your new subs you won't be lacking in the bass department. 

Ya, I guess that's definitely worth a try before I go and buy more speakers lol. 

1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

I am not sure what you mean by that I put it in Stereo mode and it's 2 channel no sub. It sounds amazing, definitely does not sound like there are any holes in the center or anything like that. It sounds like the music is coming from right in front of me, in fact when I first got the Emotiva and set it to 2 channel I had to get up and physically make sure the center wasn't playing because it sounded like it was. I have no problem with the imaging of the speakers or anything like that. 

Cool, my bad. I was equating "not as big a soundstage" with improper imaging. It's all good.

53 minutes ago, jason str said:

If the backs are sealed you should be able to adjust the distance apart, not the best position for the design but a better alternative than you are currently dealing with.

47 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

Ya,  tried different placement's the closer I bring them to me the smaller and thinner the soundstage got. I can definitely tell that in a larger room these things would be killer because I can see that the farther away I get the bigger the soundstage and richer the sound becomes. The best place by far is with them all the way in the corners. 

After trying that out I can say with almost 100% certainty that the reason it's not sounding how I want is because my room is too small for them. 

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Aaron....you need a bigger room, a bigger house:D

Just throwing a little humor your way.

Coytee has a preference for the Jubilees.

Lol, ya someday! It's funny though because the La Scala's were completely different. I put those much closer to me than the K-horns and they sounded great with a huge soundstage. The K-s though when I put those where the La Scala's were it's like I'm listening to a tv speaker. 

1 minute ago, AaronB123 said:

Lol, ya someday! It's funny though because the La Scala's were completely different. I put those much closer to me than the K-horns and they sounded great with a huge soundstage. The K-s though when I put those where the La Scala's were it's like I'm listening to a tv speaker. 

It's amazing how a little change can effect the sound. A recent home remodel doubled the size of my living room. I then played with speaker location quite a bit, they sound better being placed wider apart.

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It's amazing how a little change can effect the sound. A recent home remodel doubled the size of my living room. I then played with speaker location quite a bit, they sound better being placed wider apart.

From what I understand the Jubilee's are a lot less picky when it comes to placement aren't they? 

3 hours ago, babadono said:

Doesn't @PrestonTom have a set of Jubs in Connecticut area? I mean I know he does, just don't like volunteering other people's systems for an audition.

@Coytee where's the master list? Is our friend who is selling his from New Mexico on the list?

It's here however, I don't know if it's 100% accurate anymore.  I also don't want to speak specifically for Tom but, I've spoken/emailed with most (not all) Jubilee owners and not one has yet said they'd not entertain someone over for an audition.  Most have said they would.  I've not asked all but have brought it up with most that I've interacted with.

My understanding from Roy is the Jubilee "likes" to be within about 10" of the corner if you want to keep the maximum depth of output.  More than 10" and I guess you start to lose some bottom end.

2 hours ago, bcarey13 said:

Hey Aaron,  I have not heard the Jubilees(but want to)..(we had a discussion already about them)

One of the things I learned about the Jubilees(correct me if I'm wrong) but they do better in smaller rooms and with lower ceilings than the Khorns do.  I think you said your ceiling weren't all that high in your room at one point.

I'm not sure if we're going to be saying the same thing or not...so let me try to reword it and maybe you can decide if we're on the same page.

In a room, you can have destructive interference as the sound hits the walls.  To that end, the Jubilee (specifically the K402) controls the sound much better than the smaller horns (K400/401 and even the K510).  Since it controls the sound better, there will be less splashing of the sound to the sides, less splashing of the sound on the walls.

You can walk behind the speaker (some of us did it in their anechoic chamber) and immediately tell that there is less sound to the side and behind the speaker, compared to the smaller horns.

Therefore, though the (enter speaker) might work fine in a given room, even a small one, the Jubilee would improve the sound/performance because of the better controlled sound.  There would be less destructive interference (though you may certainly still have some)

I would think a higher ceiling would be a good thing