Anyone ever quit without something to jump to?

Thaddeus Smith

Michael, I believe that to do for today for tomorrow is a healthy mindset. I knew when to quit (a lucrative sales job in Dallas) and I knew that I wanted most to study, learn, and teach. For two years, I had little income after returning to college for an education certificate. I retired after 28 years of mostly enjoying that career. For me, the money-loss was an investment in myself.

SSH

• Like 1

@Thaddeus Smith - I'm glad that you have made a decision that you're comfortable with, and have taken action on it.  I have no advice to offer that hasn't been mentioned already, but will chime in with best wishes / best luck to you in searching for the next gig.

I do know what it's like to consider leaving with nothing lined up to move to.  sometimes, some days, it's just that bad.  at our place, our CEO sold us out in a "merger" (sometimes pronounced just like 'murder') with another industry leader.  I was at the 'old co' for 9.5 yrs before that.  many of us who have worked together during that time reminisce that we didn't know how good we had it back then.  and we didn't.  but I feel ya.  and wish you the best of luck now, and when you're considering something down the road.

-John

On 2/27/2017 at 10:23 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

I was just curious how people have made maximum use of their time off when they didn't quit a job for the sake of immediately starting a new one.

Do something you've known you should do for quite some time.  Who knows what that is?  Paint the house.  Exercise/lose weight.  Visit family.  Volunteer.  

Only you can figure out what works best for you.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Do something you've known you should do for quite some time.  Who knows what that is?  Paint the house.  Exercise/lose weight.  Visit family.  Volunteer.  

Only you can figure out what works best for you.

ha, all of the above!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Snarky,

NO recommendations from me, but I've done exactly what you propose - a few times.  Congratulations to you Sir for realizing - before it was too late - what it was doing to you !!!  There's nothing worse than allowing an employment situation to obliterate you through a slow and painful, yet sometimes, unrecognizable process.  For longterm mental and physical health, work cannot be allowed have this affect.  Consider also that by staying, you'd've been infecting your coworkers with your attitude.  Many of us are still searching for our "calling", and most will never find the perfect fit that perfectly integrates interest / skill / emotional reward or sense of accomplishment / compensation.  There are always tradeoffs in this quest, and you will eventually find or create a situation that "works" best for you.  

Forest Gump went for a - VERY LONG - run.

It is likely you will choose to do something a little less crazy while sorting things out. 

• Like 1

I think it is important to have a plan. While working, your life is scheduled for you. Once you are no longer employed you face a huge void. It is easy to get lost. However, if you have a plan for the future, and work that plan, you maintain a compass that for most of us is essential for sanity. It is easy to feel like a ship without a rudder when you no longer have the discipline imposed by work...sleeping too long, staring at TV, etc.
As an employment attorney, one of the first things I discuss with clients who have been wrongfully terminated is to find a star and navigate towards it. A vacation is fine, just don't let it become your north star. To that end I have had clients who found a new star (e.g., life plan) and it made all the difference in the rest of their lives. I have also had clients who won respectable settlements, bumbled around until the money was gone, and never recovered.
So...my advice is to figure out what career will make you happy and work your a** off to get there.
Good luck, my friend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On a more personal note, the way I became a lawyer was by losing a job. The first morning that I woke with no job to go to I was both numb and lost. It took about three weeks until I said, look, you have wanted to be a lawyer since you were 5 years old. Life always got in the way. As a previous post counseled, "put your hand down your pants and see if you have the stuff to do it." It took four years from the time I lost my job until I was accepted and finished law school. I got a job at at a good firm, and although my career took minor turns after that, I was always thankful that I lost that job that allowed me to change direction.

Don't waste the the opportunity you have given yourself. I know you won't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input and support Earl&Jim.

I turned in my notice and since I wasn't leaving to go somewhere else they offered to keep me on until the end of the month for knowledge transfer. I've got some things in the works that could land by the end of the month, or could take several months. We've got a few months worth of funds and after some quick restructuring we'll be able to stretch that out if necessary.

In the meantime I've got some small trips (including Hope), but will mostly use the time to work on house projects, prep the farm, lose some weight, and work on my photography.

It was a quick decision at the time, but we've made good use of the past few weeks to put a plan together and make this work. The people I was having issue with have mellowed out towards me and many people have stepped up and offered to help with references and job searches, so that's cool.

• Like 2

If you have "knowledge to transfer" than for all practical purposes you have value to the organization, right? Too bad they didn't see this sooner and not make things so uncomfortable that you moved on, even if it was just a few PITA's. Experience and knowledge is the hardest thing for an organization to replace although as we all understand no one is irreplaceable. Even when I announced I was retiring after nearly 30 years and on very good terms the first real question they asked even after saying I'm retiring was - are going to another company. The next worst thing after losing knowedge is taking that knowledge elsewhere. I took mine elsewhere - home, where I just enjoyed three days with my grandson running me ragged! 

Still, good luck ---

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still cultivating some future opportunities, but in the meantime it looks like I'll be acquiring my own little tribe of goats in a few weeks - so the first portion of my "vacation" will be filled with barn clean out, fencing, and trenching 100ft of new water line to the barn. 2 bucks and 2 does, and their 5 6-week old kids. Looks like I'll get to learn how to neuter shortly after arrival.

The weather will be optimal, so I'm looking forward to some exercise, the inherent weight loss, the quiet freedom away from my phone, and knocking out some serious projects.

I've heard this happening to people a few times. Left a job, then at some point going back for a better position. What's the old saying....you never really get a raise until you quit.

Never heard that before, but I've seen it happen a number of times, and lived it. Employer was pretty good, even descent, but the internal politics was frustrating to behold. Was offered a partnership if I would be willing to relocate.... Told'em I was relocating, going back to Texas. Too little, too late. My mind was made up, and wife was full onboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Still cultivating some future opportunities, but in the meantime it looks like I'll be acquiring my own little tribe of goats in a few weeks - so the first portion of my "vacation" will be filled with barn clean out, fencing, and trenching 100ft of new water line to the barn. 2 bucks and 2 does, and their 5 6-week old kids. Looks like I'll get to learn how to neuter shortly after arrival.

The weather will be optimal, so I'm looking forward to some exercise, the inherent weight loss, the quiet freedom away from my phone, and knocking out some serious projects.

Some of the most rewarding, and fun, and hard working time I've had in my life was working with a small tribe of Oberhasli dairy goats at my property in rural Washington State.   Delivered many new kids, tried to keep the adults out of trouble (which was virtually impossible....), and made pounds and pounds of the best cheese ever.....Enjoy your time with them, it will be a memorable experience for sure.  What breed are they?  Would love to see some photos too.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Some of the most rewarding, and fun, and hard working time I've had in my life was working with a small tribe of Oberhasli dairy goats at my property in rural Washington State.   Delivered many new kids, tried to keep the adults out of trouble (which was virtually impossible....), and made pounds and pounds of the best cheese ever.....Enjoy your time with them, it will be a memorable experience for sure.  What breed are they?  Would love to see some photos too.

Will certainly send photos. Correction - only 1 buck, which is a registered nigerian dwarf. Does are half nubian and half nigerian. The kids are then a mix of the two. Planning to make pounds of chevre as well as culling some of the kids for meat.