Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

5 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Nope, never heard of them but they aren't bad.  Ponty of course but now ya piqued my interest...  Thanks for that one!

George M. Duke (January 12, 1946 – August 5, 2013) was an American keyboardist, composer, singer-songwriter and record producer. He worked with numerous artists as arranger, music director, writer and co-writer, record producer and as a professor of music. He first made a name for himself with the album The Jean-Luc Ponty Experience with the George Duke Trio. He was known primarily for 32 solo albums, of which A Brazilian Love Affair from 1979 was his most popular, as well as for his collaborations with other musicians, particularly Frank Zappa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about the thread crap:

So yea, need some tunes while I change out tubes and dust a bit so went to Youtube and found this lil gem.  People wonder is Susan Tedeschi has her act together?  Ouch!  So yea, enjoy and I'll cya when I cya!  hahaha  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Sorry about the thread crap:

So yea, need some tunes while I change out tubes and dust a bit so went to Youtube and found this lil gem.  People wonder is Susan Tedeschi has her act together?  Ouch!  So yea, enjoy and I'll cya when I cya!  hahaha  

mrt.gif.1eca2796e8310d4cf4c889588fc4bfc8.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately I have to tell you that tomorrow I will disassemble the SME 3009 as well as the MA 505 MK II tonearm from the Micro Seiki DQX 1000.  Both will be sent for an inspection. There the functionality as well as statics and balance of the tonearms will be checked. In addition, the MA 505 MK II gets a new anti-skating string, this is slightly frayed and must be renewed. In addition, both tonearms are equipped with new silver internal wiring. Another thing about the MA 505 MK II that perhaps hardly anyone knows: The anti-skating setting is not automatic, while the screwing knob selects the positions depending on the needle grind (red color means elliptical needles, navy blue are more "penetrating" needle grinds like Gyger or Shibata.

275774377_wolframfaden.thumb.jpg.9fc4cfaab66d11baf2e64933f4dc574f.jpg

So it will take approx. two weeks before I can spin any records again. Using my digital and other analouge gear meanwhile.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Unfortunately I have to tell you that tomorrow I will disassemble the SME 3009 as well as the MA 505 MK II tonearm from the Micro Seiki DQX 1000.  Both will be sent for an inspection. There the functionality as well as statics and balance of the tonearms will be checked. In addition, the MA 505 MK II gets a new anti-skating string, this is slightly frayed and must be renewed. In addition, both tonearms are equipped with new silver internal wiring. Another thing about the MA 505 MK II that perhaps hardly anyone knows: The anti-skating setting is not automatic, while the screwing knob selects the positions depending on the needle grind (red color means elliptical needles, navy blue are more "penetrating" needle grinds like Gyger or Shibata.

275774377_wolframfaden.thumb.jpg.9fc4cfaab66d11baf2e64933f4dc574f.jpg

So it will take approx. two weeks before I can spin any records again. Using my digital and other analouge gear meanwhile.

Sorry to hear Mr. Micro.....  Hope you get back spinning the good stuff soon!

• Like 1

Ok, meanwhile, I am spinning a brand new bit of vinyl here in the 'Hall'.   This was the recording I found in the 25% discount bin at Barnes and Noble local to me.  There were some folks over in RTM sometime a while back that discovered this fine lady artist and I bought the CD everyone was listening to.

So, when I found the last copy of this at the store, I could not resist picking it up.  Here is the front cover art and a closeup of the sticker on the shrink wrap.  IMG-0315.jpg

IMG-0316.jpg

• Like 4

This is a very smooth sounding recording.  Rumer's voice to the orchestration of these timeless tunes, highly recommended for relaxed, downtime listening.

At this time, I would like to be as brief with this report as I can.   My turntable comparo from last week tuned out to be a bit of a shock.

First off, just because you spend huge $$$ on a particular electronic component doesn't always mean it is more refined or better sounding, I have learned this over and over again.   After all, we just need to smoothly and quietly rotate the vinyl, have a tone arm with precision bearings and balance and a cartridge of quality to get great results.

I think that many of you good listeners most likely don't own a fine, shielded phono switcher to make DIRECT side by side turntable tests of your best players in real time with identical LP's through the same phono stage etc. as I was able last week.

I can now say, through this experience, I have.  It also showed me that once you reach a certain point, more money doesn't always give you the results that you would expect.

Here, I spent what is over the top money (my budget) for the Rega RP-6 with optional, fully jeweled, machined from solid billet aluminum, high tolerance bearing subplatter.  I figured it was the best sounding of all turntables I have ever owned.

Along comes this whim to try a small turntable company here in my own state, started by a couple of fellows that love vinyl.   I reach out, fill a custom order with all the options and the best cartridge they install on their tone arm.  Costing in total only 1/5th of what the Rega cost.

Fast forward.   The results?   Both turntables stayed in perfect sync through each complete side of the record, a good thing showing their speeds were well matched.

The Exact 2 cartridge and the Ortofon 2M Blue......   

Both have the same output, no volume differences noted.  Bass response SAME, midrange SAME.  High frequencies?  The Rega, DULL (like taking the treble control, and rotating it counter clockwise)!  The Ortofon?  Great clarity!   There is more.

Lets talk about stereo width.........Exact 2, narrow,  Ortofon, WIDE.  Also, the Exact 2 was favoring the RIGHT channel sheesh !!!  The 2M Blue, centered and balanced.

I know we all love your turntables, and they are works of art for sure, but lets face it.  You get to a point where it all becomes fine looking 'jewerly', and if you were to do a side by side with an instant switchout, I think you would be surprised with the results of a product at lesser price point as I have SHOCKINGLY found out for myself!! 

Here then is a photo from tonight's spin, with the clear winner remaining on the audio rack.  (I'm still scratching my head over the results!)  Thanks for reading.

IMG-0320.jpg

At some point, I am going to see about an Ortofon 2M Blue for the Rega and that should be a nice, improved downgrade :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Sunday night here in Aust 

Just spinning the Pink Floyd LP that I posted about earlier 

Lights out and enjoying it 

This record is stunningly quiet ( but I cleaned it first ) and well produced 

A great alternative LP to replace an older scuffed record 

Artist - Pink Floyd 

Title - Wish You Were Here 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/14474203-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here

EFF0-A860-EBAE-4658-9476-26-DD308-C50-BB

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good morning my friends here on Paul's Vinyl Spinning :).  I know I went on a bit of a rant last night, and I tried not to sound  'cocky' and for sure meant and hoped not to offend anyone here, and if I did, I apologize for that :( 

I was just trying to be honest and as complete with my report to you all with the rather simple but VERY revealing test.

Appreciate the 'thanks and likes' applied to my post.   :blush:   And now, back to our favorite musics.    Enjoy the day and thanks again for reading :emotion-21:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Good morning my friends here on Paul's Vinyl Spinning :).  I know I went on a bit of a rant last night, and I tried not to sound  'cocky' and for sure meant and hoped not to offend anyone here, and if I did, I apologize for that :( 

I was just trying to be honest and as complete with my report to you all with the rather simple but VERY revealing test.

Appreciate the 'thanks and likes' applied to my post.   :blush:   And now, back to our favorite musics.    Enjoy the day and thanks again for reading :emotion-21:

I have said and posted similar thoughts 

And the final result is to look at a system holistically at any price point 

In the past advertising was a little more honest 

These days it’s mostly spin the best catch phrase 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GWSmith said:

No worries Gary.  You provided your honest opinion based upon the results of your own comparison test.  

Ultimately, It's all good, and all completely subjective, depending each individuals, preferences.  That's why there is a wide market of products out there.  

I'll share an experience I had a little over 15 years ago.  I have been a Klipsch guy since my late teens.  Case closed.  I love Klipsch "Heritage" loudspeakers.  To me nothing had sounds better.  I started out with Heresy's, than Cornwalls, LaScala's, and eventually Klipschorns.  About 15 years ago, I decided to go to a high end stereo shop to see where audio technology had advanced in the new digital age.  In short, he took me into his main listening room, where he had a million dollar+ stereo set up.  I remember these massive Focal speakers, gold interconnect cables, speaker wires that looked like high voltage power lines.  Anyway, he put on an lp, because I was primarily an analog guy.  Willie Nelson, an album I had. Let me say it sounded incredible.  This room had all the treatments, and Willy was right there.  It was impressive. 

Upon returning home, I immediately played the same lp on my humble tube system, with at the time,  my LaScala's, and it sounded phenomenal.  I was so overjoyed.  I didn't need to upgrade anything.  What I took away from that experience was that, Klipsch and Dynaco's are awesome, for me.  Focal and million dollar components are awesome, for someone who can shop in that market.  What it all boils down to, as the Japanese say, maintaining your wa, or harmony.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4