Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

6 hours ago, AndreG. said:

By the way, I´ve been thinking about getting a pure stereo amp for some time now. My first choice was one of the recent mid-tier Yamahas. But now I my go the vintage way, seen a lot of nice rigs lately, for pairing with my Heresys and TT. I like this one a lot, Kenwood KA 8150:

$_57.JPG

That Kenwood amp is beautiful, and it probably sounds pleasing, but the new gear, like that Yamaha unit you mentioned, will have more detail and clarity.  If you save up a few more euros, you could get a Yamaha model that’s higher in the range, and that would be even better.

Years ago, I went from a mid-range 1977 Yamaha CR-1020 to a used bottom-of-the-range 1998 RX-V392, and the difference was surprising.  I had to remove the 1980s Yamaha EQ-70 graphic equalizer from the system, because with the newer receiver, it was obvious that it put a “veil” over the sound.  With the older receiver, you couldn’t tell that the EQ was in the signal chain.

I took it out of that signal chain and instead used one channel of it to EQ the subwoofer, reducing some peaks and dips in its response.  It was fine in that role, because our ears don’t hear low bass sounds with such accuracy and detail as we hear mid-range sounds.  PWK was right about that.

The next year I got a new 2005 RX-V750 (better again, quite clearly), and in 2016, a new RX-A2060 (Aventage Series, even better again).  The lesson for me was that the engineers at Yamaha (plus Kenwood, Klipsch, and nearly every other audio gear company, presumably) have not been drinking coffee and making paper airplanes for the last forty years.  They’ve been improving the gear, and it’s easy to hear how much more clear and accurate the new stuff is.

In short, the new stuff sounds much more clear and has higher fidelity, and isn’t that what we’re all after, with our high-performance speakers and everything that goes with them?

The old gear looks great in some cases, and may sound kind of good, but it’s a bit like watching a standard definition TV fed by a VCR. 

Okay, I should have just used that sentence at the start.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Last one for tonight:

IMG_2033.jpg.ebf4cffcf6ea1a7c5788941200ee9614.jpg

This and other Neil Young albums were a staple in my younger days 

We lived in a surf beach city and we chased the waves and listened to Neil Young, James Taylor ect 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I just love King Crimson, and this album is so good it needs a couple of spins 🤪

And I’m sure @dirtmudd mentioned that this is his favourite album by King Crimson 

Artist - King Crimson 

Title - Red

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/4703409-King-Crimson-Red

AC98490-E-C47-E-4-ADC-A366-5-CF837-FAF3-

it's the trio l.t.i.a. , s.&.b.b , & red!

The flying brick wall rhythm section of bruford and wetton...

this is not for the faint of heart.

And not easily accessible sonicly.

I can not listen to heavy metal..

After listening to these 3 albums..

King Crimson always pushed the boundaries.. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

it's the trio l.t.i.a. , s.&.b.b , & red!

The flying brick wall rhythm section of bruford and wetton...

this is not for the faint of heart.

And not easily accessible sonicly.

I can not listen to heavy metal..

After listening to these 3 albums..

King Crimson always pushed the boundaries.. 

I can only agree my friend 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Islander said:

That Kenwood amp is beautiful, and it probably sounds pleasing, but the new gear, like that Yamaha unit you mentioned, will have more detail and clarity.  If you save up a few more euros, you could get a Yamaha model that’s higher in the range, and that would be even better.

Years ago, I went from a mid-range 1977 Yamaha CR-1020 to a used bottom-of-the-range 1998 RX-V392, and the difference was surprising.  I had to remove the 1980s Yamaha EQ-70 graphic equalizer from the system, because with the newer receiver, it was obvious that it put a “veil” over the sound.  With the older receiver, you couldn’t tell that the EQ was in the signal chain.

I took it out of that signal chain and instead used one channel of it to EQ the subwoofer, reducing some peaks and dips in its response.  It was fine in that role, because our ears don’t hear low bass sounds with such accuracy and detail as we hear mid-range sounds.  PWK was right about that.

The next year I got a new 2005 RX-V750 (better again, quite clearly), and in 2016, a new RX-A2060 (Aventage Series, even better again).  The lesson for me was that the engineers at Yamaha (plus Kenwood, Klipsch, and nearly every other audio gear company, presumably) have not been drinking coffee and making paper airplanes for the last forty years.  They’ve been improving the gear, and it’s easy to hear how much more clear and accurate the new stuff is.

In short, the new stuff sounds much more clear and has higher fidelity, and isn’t that what we’re all after, with our high-performance speakers and everything that goes with them?

The old gear looks great in some cases, and may sound kind of good, but it’s a bit like watching a standard definition TV fed by a VCR. 

Okay, I should have just used that sentence at the start.

I admit, I´m always torn, the vintage stuff definitely has the bigger cool factor. 😎 But the little AS201 that powers my KG 1.5 now already sounds very nice, so it´ s bigger brethren must be even better. 

Sigh, so many choices...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

I just love King Crimson, and this album is so good it needs a couple of spins 🤪

And I’m sure @dirtmudd mentioned that this is his favourite album by King Crimson 

Artist - King Crimson 

Title - Red

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/4703409-King-Crimson-Red

AC98490-E-C47-E-4-ADC-A366-5-CF837-FAF3-

how are the dynamics of the red album ? it should start out on side

1 and creep up in intensity till the great crescendo of starless ..

When there in the red!

art/pog metal at its finest!

actually there always in the red.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

• Like 2

Decided to toss this one on just to see how things worked with the addition of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.  IF you pick it up ya don't need a sub!  Just a touch maybe.  I killed mine completely for this first listen.  Glad I did too because it shines w/o one imo.

Alan Parson's "One Note Symphony"  is a 3-lp album is great way to look at them from a different perspective.  The orchestra was a great addition to so many of his works all onto three 180 gram discs.  

IMG-20220327-124952019.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

how are the dynamics of the red album ? it should start out on side

1 and creep up in intensity till the great crescendo of starless ..

When there in the red!

art/pog metal at its finest!

actually there always in the red.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

The music or to be more precise the first and last stanza for Red was written for an unplayed track called Blue 

Check out the video and the answer is at around the 6 minute mark 

• Like 5

Time for my union mandated afternoon music break.

Fela Ransome Kuti & Africa 70.

The liner notes give the explanation for the title of the record...

"The men in uniform alleged I had swallowed some quantity of hemp.  My sh!t was sent for lab test. Result negative.  Which brings us to...

Expensive Sh!t. 1975

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2