What I Got Today!

Brac

Two of Sony's new 4k "Cinema Series" releases.

Sony Entertainment has begun releasing some hand picked classics that have been completely restored and scanned from film to 4k for bluray release... Called the Cinema Series.

so far there are only a handful and I have yet to receive only two.

Spartacus

80-91higgruinl_sl1500__3ddf8d71b5a990cd4

And FINALLY Coppola's, Bram Stroker's Dracula

80-71lfa8p3ftl_sl1500__c4e67fb75c5e1bd3b

I have yet to watch BS Dracula, but it HAS TO BE better than the original release on bluray because the initial release was touted as one of the worst major studio bluray releases to date. It was so incredibly bad that the DVD release had better picture quality.

Spartacus on the other hand was quite nice in it's original 1080p release... as I watch this new 4k scan, it is wholly different. Much better resolution and considerably greater color depth, along with a new 7.1 soundtrack makes this viewing much more pleasurable. At well over 3 hours, I am only about half way thru this classic.

they will be releasing more titles as 4k begins to take hold, and the next group I will receive will be The Fifth Element and Leon...

Got this yesterday

post-14548-0-80400000-1444585230_thumb.j

post-14548-0-15360000-1444585266_thumb.j

initial impressions:

Sennheiser HD800 in the house, My expectations were I would find a bright analytical can that was weak on bass with an out of the head soundstage. This is what I was expecting based on the hundreds of threads / reviews / comments...........My reason for wanting to try them was I wanted a better presentation / soundstage

Actually hearing them was a shock to the system, 

1st they were not overly bright and analytical, though they could sound piercing I found that was more source related, in order to attribute that quality to the cans one would expect they sound the same on all material. They sounded sublime on some material and like crap on other material. I started paying attention to selection and using long time considered standards for QUALITY RECORDINGS and I was richly rewarded (dont confuse this statement with meaning high resolution 24 /192 etc...etc...etc... I am talking about albums that are well known as being masterfully recorded and mastered like Steely Dan Aha, all the resolution in the world will not cover up a poor recording and in fact may make it sound worse IME.)

Next was the Bass, not sure where this reputation was garnered for light on bass perhaps it started with people comparing them with planers or bass heavy cans, I was nearly floored by the impact the HD800 presented, Listening to Sometimes God Smiles Prism track and the superb Sheffield Drum Tracks, and SMV Thunder albums proved anything but lacking in bass. Bass was deep with texture and impact, not Bloated or exaggerated. I is true they dont dig down in to the sub bass regions as well as my HE500 they also dont muddy the waters. color me very happy with the Bass

Soundstage, My expectations of some miraculous out of head experience was daunted It has been my experience that headphones do MANY things correct, soundstage is NOT one of them, I feel like all the press concerning the soundstage on the HD800 is more about the spatial imagery and not what I consider soudstage, I came to headphones out of necessity from systems that consisted of SET amps and Horn Speakers those systems presented an almost physical image of the material in front of you allowing to to Hear / imagine the individuals and instruments in there perspective places. while headphones can recreate the space in the material it is all still firmly inside your head, I have heard only a couple examples of material which can create that out of head experience Chesky Records Ultimate Headphone is one of those. While I dont see the HD800 as having a true soundstage experience I admit its spacial separation and imagery is better 

An unexpected Benefit The Hd800 is SUPERB at low level listening, while my HE500 tends to need quite a bit of volume to really shine and open up the HD800 seems to care less, it plays very well at about any volume. My Wife & Ears thank you Sennheiser 

As I see it the largest drawback to having the HD800 is now something like 25% of my music is unlistenable unless I keep both the HE500 and the HD800, suggestions on how to break that news to the better half will be appreciated.........I have long said I see no reason for multiple cans the HD800 has shown me I was wrong 

• Like 1

Glad you are enjoying them, of course if you go to sell the senns we need to speak about the cable  :ph34r:

Looking forward to your impressions, I have a feeling if the LCD impresses you that much the senns may leave you wanting. I feel like the Dynamic Drivers offer a significant difference in sound compared to planers  :D   It is fun though

I just picked up a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 mono amps today from the Emotiva jadedesign site. Can't wait to get them!

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-1

XPA1G2_FRONT.png?itok=5KuSaJO5

A pair of 600 watt mono blocks, nice!   So what's the plan? 

According to your signature quote, you've already got some impressive amperage. 

Edited by wvu80

I got a hacked bank account thru paid pal to the tune of $4120.53. This account was not monitored daily and we allowed our son to use it for his PP in order to accept payments for his game server. First indication was email from bank for overdraft transfers.

At just over a grand for the pair delivered with warranty it was too hard to pass them up. Pretty much buy one get one free at that price.

That's a deal, 60 Watts Class A 73 lbs each mono blocks for a $1000,  I would be crowing like a rooster too. I look forward hearing your review. 

Thanks, I have debated getting a pair of the XPA-1's for several months now. Twice jadedesign (Emotiva's Ebay store) rejected my best offers. This time they accepted it so I am a happy camper. Originally they wanted $658 each used plus shipping so my low ball offers were not entertained.

With 60wpc in Class A and 600wpc in Class A/B. I am planning on using this pair as a replacement for an XPA-2. Now I have to decide whether to keep the XPA-2 in house and run it with another one as 1000wpc monoblock pair or just sell it outright. Each XPA-1 sells for $1100 new so $100 delivered for a the pair was not getting past me.....hahaha!

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-1

XPA1G2_FRONT.png?itok=5KuSaJO5

Thanks Ceptorman, they have had some awesome deals lately. I recently picked up a Sherbourn PT7020C4 pre/pro for $115 as well. I always keep a window open with their shop listings.

Yea I keep an eye on their site also, I didn't think they would take a deal like that….you stoled them!

• Like 1

I got a hacked bank account thru paid pal to the tune of $4120.53. This account was not monitored daily and we allowed our son to use it for his PP in order to accept payments for his game server. First indication was email from bank for overdraft transfers.

Sure hope you get this sorted out, I do wonder if you have any information on how someone could get into your account without getting your pass word forr the paypal account,  Do you know if there was a PHISHING email or any of the other various scams that were responded to 

Very Curious how this happened, as it may help others in staying safe from such an incident

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!