What I Got Today!

Brac

Thanks, I need help I  want to use the Klf s as a main pair of speakers but know what to get for a receiver, can anyone help, like how many watts, ohms and channels .

I've never built a system, and I want to do it right.

There's lots of good options out there and folks on this forum who will love to help you get set up right. I'd suggest starting a new thread to get the most responses from forum members.

I personally love my Pioneer, but there are guys on here who will also vouch for Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, etc.

• Like 1

Got a set of Klipsch AL crossovers!  The price was right (free!) so thanks to Sir Mookie in St. Louis.  I will be swapping them in and out on some speakers I have just for the fun of it, then I'll decide what kind of project these XO's are worthy of. 

post-58280-0-89640000-1447732623_thumb.jpost-58280-0-71840000-1447732666_thumb.j

And I know you guys like this, it's a box that was self-opening, thanks to UPS.

post-58280-0-31640000-1447732732_thumb.j

What should I do to discharge those capacitors?  Touching one lead with my finger and the other with my tongue would not be an inappropriate answer.  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

What you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea... it began hurting last Thursday, by Friday it was extremely painful.. even to the slightest touch. By Sunday the pain was going down from a searing pain to a throbing pain but the finger began to swell and get tingly. Finally thought I should probably get a second opinion tonight... first opinion being my own. :P Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

What should I do to discharge those capacitors? Touching one lead with my finger and the other with my tongue would be an inappropriate answer. :rolleyes:

I myself would not worry too much about the charge on speaker crossover caps. But if you think some malcontent has charged them up to a high voltage just to shock you, you could connect a small value (10-20 ohms) resistor between the input terminals, and separate resistor to the output terminals(the speaker voice coils should do just fine).

A FujiFilm X100T is waiting for me at home.  My current camera is a Panasonic GF1 purchased back in 2009 - quite a lot has evolved in the mirrorless large sensor arena and this Fuji has quite a cult following - so I figured it was a safe purchase. Back when I shot DSLR's I pretty much used fast primes exclusively, so having a fixed 35mm (effective view) f/2.0 is right in line with my preferences.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x100t/

img_main01.jpg

• Like 2

My used Emotiva XMC-1 shipped from Puerto Rico and arrived last week, been enjoying it ever since!

http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1

I got a fantastic deal on it, so I figured I'd take a chance of not liking it, but this is the best sounding preamp I've ever had!  I immediately noticed a difference in clarity as it's differential design matches well with my ATI AT2007 differential 7 channel amp even before running Dirac.  Also it seems door slams/punches sound a bit more real (to where they actually startle you).  Although, all these differences are small compared to the Marantz AV8801, I think discerning listeners would hear them.

Overall, the XMC-1 is a great unit for the money.  The noise floor on this thing is incredibly low and measurements compare with pre/pros costing many times more:  http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/emotiva-xmc-1-processor-review/

The only complaint I have is Dirac Live Full (Emotiva version) can't really compare to the EQ job Audyssey Pro was doing, especially since I was using SubEQ HT before (which pings the subs separately to set level and phase, and then calibrates them together).  I'm going to try a few things to improve Dirac's measurements.  I think they sound great, except the bass isn't as nice as what I got used to after having SubEQ HT.  I may just use REW to upload filters to the XMC-1 (which is a new feature they added in firmware 3.0).

My Dirac Live Full (Emotiva version) vs. Audyssey Pro measurement comparison is below.  These measurements were taken as objectively as possible, and the Audyssey Pro calibration was done for only one seat as was the Dirac (comparing apples to apples).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1617090-emotiva-xmc-1-owners-only-thread-143.html#post38951553

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 2

A FujiFilm X100T is waiting for me at home.  My current camera is a Panasonic GF1 purchased back in 2009 - quite a lot has evolved in the mirrorless large sensor arena and this Fuji has quite a cult following - so I figured it was a safe purchase. Back when I shot DSLR's I pretty much used fast primes exclusively, so having a fixed 35mm (effective view) f/2.0 is right in line with my preferences.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x100t/

img_main01.jpg

That is very similar to my Lumix 100/zeiss in both specifications and class of camera. You will be happy as a all in one alternative to a dslr and a case full of lenses.

Finally got my homemade rear acoustic panels up. Poplar frame, Knauf black acoustic board, commercial crushed panne velvet covering from Rose Brand that matches my drapes.  This is one of them.  The velvet isn't very photogenic, it glistens and stuff in person, neat effect. Just looks like it is dirty and needs ironing in pictures. Took awhile to get good at wrapping them. The first one was kind of jacked up but the last one was nice and tight. The folds at the corners is what I had trouble with.

12088416_10153352930329401_7105831918041

12239615_10153405917344401_1490808975464

12107898_10153350651324401_6870186177471

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!