What I Got Today!

Brac

I just received my Panasonic DMP-BD903 Bluray player today. Couldn't pass it up for my den at under $40 shipped. Neat little set up

Also received some Pangea Cable Apple lightning charger cables for under five bucks each from Audio Advisor.

Edited by teaman

'78 La Scala's Purchased yesterday from forum member Olorin.  Got home a little late last night (for me) after about 11+ hours on the road, so didn't have an opportunity to post, but here they are....

Best of all, the wife approves :D  I have some rearranging to do though.

attachicon.gifIMG_1034.JPG

Looking good!  I especially dig the diffusors behind them!  ;-)

So yeah, you're going to get tons of advice on rearranging, so I'll get my digs in first. :-p  Try to get them out as wide as you can. and then toe them in toward you like you saw at my place.  This will do a couple things -- it will increase the distance from you to the speakers, which with these guys is a good thing -- they're not very cohesive up close, but get them fifteen feet away and they're glorious.  The toe-in will also minimize wall reflections and make for a cleaner image.  When you get them placed right, you'll know it -- you'll be able to tell when the mixer put the snare right behind the singer or moved it two feet to the left, and the image will have three dimensions.

Set up right, with the lights turned off they will simply disappear into the sound.  You're going to love it. :-)

s-l1600.jpg

I just picked up a Klipsch Academy speaker to center my Heresy Slant Monitors powered by the XPA-5.

The Academy is a nice sounding speaker. However i found that a Heresy sounded better as a center between my Cornwalls. I dont know if its the efficiency, three way, or the same tweeter and mid driver that makes the difference. Maybe a combo of all three, but my wife doesn't turn it up as much and we run in dolby more than all channel stereo now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

s-l1600.jpg

I just picked up a Klipsch Academy speaker to center my Heresy Slant Monitors powered by the XPA-5.

The Academy is a nice sounding speaker. However i found that a Heresy sounded better as a center between my Cornwalls. I dont know if its the efficiency, three way, or the same tweeter and mid driver that makes the difference. Maybe a combo of all three, but my wife doesn't turn it up as much and we run in dolby more than all channel stereo now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I recently picked up a KLF-C7 and it sounds amazing. This set up I am putting the Academy in is not nearly as ideal and does not get nearly as much use so I am hoping the Academy will be enough. I honestly don't have room for the Heresy as a center or else I would have used one. From what I have ready the KLF-C7 is a better center but with the componentry of the Academy I am hoping it matches well with the Slants.

• Like 1

'78 La Scala's Purchased yesterday from forum member Olorin.  Got home a little late last night (for me) after about 11+ hours on the road, so didn't have an opportunity to post, but here they are....

Best of all, the wife approves :D  I have some rearranging to do though.

attachicon.gifIMG_1034.JPG

That's great you are going to be happy and your wife's agreement is very important too, oh have you mentioned the horn loaded subs yet? Best regards moray james.

The only time that I've really missed having a dedicated center is during dialogue on movies.  Having a center is critical for speech intelligibility, I've found.  Also, if I'm off-axis from centerline when listening to anything else in multichannel, the center locks in the front soundstage image.

Getting a center setup properly is, I've found, the most difficult task in setting up a surround sound array.  This includes vertical alignment (in the floor to ceiling dimension) with the front midrange horn mouths, and timbre matching via adjusting all three front speakers to be EQed with the same frequency response within about +/- 2 dB from 400 Hz through 10-20 kHz, and within about +/- 5 dB below 400 Hz (subject to room modes).

Also, controlling any early acoustic reflections around the front three loudspeakers especially in terms of electronics equipment, racks and any non-smooth walls--such as fireplace masonry that sticks out from the vertical plane formed by the front wall--is critical. 

All these things have to be right in order to get the center speaker sound to disappear into the surround sound mix.  It only took me about 3-4 years of off-and-on trial-and-error effort to get my center set up correctly for this to happen.  It was a good day when it finally did.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 3

One guy's opinion here, but I found the Heresys image well enough that nothing between them sounded better than an Academy between them.

I run mine without a center and haven't missed the dedicated speaker either.

We only use a pair of Heresy IIs for my our listening. Never missed not having a center speaker. I have on occasion thought we left the TV speakers up because the center was so solid (we often will just use the tv speakers while listening to the news, etc.) After checking the remote, I'll find it's turned down.

Bruce

Someone just got suckered on a pair of mono blocks.  May have been me the buyer, not sure!  They have ample headroom though, I'm pretty sure I was clipping on 5 or so songs as the parts that previously had distortion sound better now.  All other songs sound the same.  Mainly it's songs with really dynamic drums or slamming of piano keys that sound better.  These are actually pretty decent amps as far as noise floor and output.  I put my ear into my mid-range and hear no hiss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMOTIVA-XPR-1-PAIR-OF-MONOS-/272068301545?

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 2

If you are talking about you purchasing those that you provided a link to, then I think you got a pretty smoking deal, especially if they do have the warranty still on them.  Make sure that you call Emotiva and get the warranty transferred.  Have fun with those!!

Thanks.  They are very nice as was the seller.  They have 3.5 years left!  I had to drive 200 miles to pick them up though, but still a great deal I think.

If you are talking about you purchasing those that you provided a link to, then I think you got a pretty smoking deal, especially if they do have the warranty still on them.  Make sure that you call Emotiva and get the warranty transferred.  Have fun with those!!

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!