What I Got Today!

Brac

I have had a lot of trouble with my Husky. The bearing on the deck went after 2 years and the PTO torqued itself out of the housing a few weeks later.

Husky is basically a MTD build these days.   Gravely is hard to beat and affordable.   Splurge another 500-$750 Thad. 

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt

Gravely-ZT(InUse).jpg?RenditionId=12

Edited by Max2

No zero turn......  dude?

My Ferris IS3100Z has me spoiled. I'd have a hard time going back. 36 hp v-twin and independent suspension. I can mow a very rough and tall lawn at 12 mph in total comfort. That's screaming, especially on corners. A Scag Cheetah is even faster if the yard is smooth, but it will beat you up too. I can't imagine going 17 mph on a mower. Look at this thing at 30 seconds in, holy cow. Can you imagine hitting a stump? I've hit stumps so hard it stopped me dead in my tracks before. Doing that at 17 mph would suck.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

The first 50 dollar 5 gallon gas can I have ever seen.

Those little $5 one gal and $6 two gal gas cans are now $15 and $18, thanks to government "safety" features.

It takes three hands to fill a push mower these days.  I hate those new cans.

I'd like to clear the air and just let you guys know how much I hate you. A LOT. I thought I had made a good, well researched decision, but now it looks like I have to go back and keep reading. :P

except for the gas can. make sure you follow the link and see what it is, less fiddly than those crap plastic ones, of which I already have. received rave reviews from guys here (Including Boxx I believe?) last summer.

• Like 1

Those little $5 one gal and $6 two gal gas cans are now $15 and $18, thanks to government "safety" features.

I guess I haven't seen the new ones. Are they like the diesel ones where you have to push in a little lever before fuel will come out even though the can is upside down? Man I hate those.

• Like 1

I'd like to clear the air and just let you guys know how much I hate you. A LOT. I thought I had made a good, well researched decision, but now it looks like I have to go back and keep reading. :P

except for the gas can. make sure you follow the link and see what it is, less fiddly than those crap plastic ones, of which I already have. received rave reviews from guys here (Including Boxx I believe?) last summer.

HeHe!  I have been around mowers for about 35 years.  Gravely has been around for a 100 years or so I think. There are other brands that equal and exceed the Gravely in some opinions, but for the money they are dang tough and what all of the mowing crews are using here.  I promise buying a zero turn will save you tons of time and fuel just in the cutting process. Plus Gravely parts are all over the net and can be had cheap and quick when your warranty runs out.  They also come with a life time warranty on the deck and frame. 

No zero turn......  dude?

My Ferris IS3100Z has me spoiled. I'd have a hard time going back. 36 hp v-twin and independent suspension. I can mow a very rough and tall lawn at 12 mph in total comfort. That's screaming, especially on corners. A Scag Cheetah is even faster if the yard is smooth, but it will beat you up too. I can't imagine going 17 mph on a mower. Look at this thing at 30 seconds in, holy cow. Can you imagine hitting a stump? I've hit stumps so hard it stopped me dead in my tracks before. Doing that at 17 mph would suck.

I would put Scag at the top of the Food chain, but their pricing shows it. Ferris is another good brand, but I don't know how competitive their pricing is for their lower non commercial line. The Scag commercial machines that our state uses to hack the tight portions of the interstate and we all know what they are mowing over in the medians and what not and they still keep going.   There are another 3 or 4 brands that are good as well. I would check out the actually mower dealers in your area and see what kind of deals they have, but by all means don't shop for mowers at the big box stores.  Look on the trailers of the mowing crews in your area and maybe talk to a few. Find who gives the best service during your warranty AND after.   Tons of good rigs under 3K out there, but I would keep them from cutting an actual pasture, 

Plus Gravely parts are all over the net and can be had cheap and quick when your warranty runs out.  They also come with a life time warranty on the deck and frame. 

would that make buying used a viable option? 

I would say a low hour machine yes. Plus you can look at a piece of equipment and its deck to see what kind of life it has had.  Most engines offered are great. I have had excellent luck with the Kawasaki engines and I still have a '98 commercial model that hasn't even had the carb cleaned on it, much less anything else besides new air filter and fresh oil.

The first 50 dollar 5 gallon gas can I have ever seen.

Yeah, I have the plastic ones that don't actual have a decent vent. You can cut off the safety lock and remove the trash screen which helps the flow, but they're still slow from such a small vent. I doesn't seem like a big deal for most folks but when you are pouring 12 gallons into one machine, it takes a long dang time!

BTW, some guys drill a small hole  in the upper rear of the container and stick a golf tee in it when they are stationary.  Not an option for me toting the stuff in an SUV and not the bed of a truck.

Edited by Max2

• Moderators

Nice machine, I would use the seatbelt for sure at 12+ mph, at that speed if you get distracted for a couple seconds and hit a tree or something it would be quite a shock even strapped in. At 17 mph, I'd want a helmet :o

• Like 2

Ferris is another good brand, but I don't know how competitive their pricing is for their lower non commercial line.

I demo'ed multiple Ferris's. You can spend nearly 6 grand on one and you just get a boring machine with tiny front wheels. The 3100Z is where it's at. Of course they're like 12 grand too. Otherwise, get a Bad Boy and put one of those Northern Tool suspension seats on it. Those seems to be the best bang for the buck unless you're going all out.

Here's mine, after getting hung up one day. :)

10409359_10152277179764401_1342135197887

I would use the seatbelt for sure at 12+ mph

Other brands have a seatbelt so they don't bounce you off the seat. Ferris has a seatbelt so you don't fly off the thing when you hit the brakes at the end of a row. ;)

But anyway, yeah ZTR's are the way to go. If you're going to spend 2 grand on a tractor then you can probably stretch the budget and get a ZTR. I ran a Toro Timecutter for years, it worked great, just a little rough. You can get them for $2,700 at Home Depot and you can get a bagging kit just like a tractor. Yeah the commercial ones are nice and recommended but even a TimeCutter is leaps and bounds beyond a tractor. On my old yard I went from mowing it in 4 hours on a tractor to mowing the main part in 45 minutes and if I did everything like around all the trees I was done in an hour 15 minutes. HUGE difference, and that's with a dinky ZTR. With my new one I'm mowing somewhere between 8 and 10 nasty acres that are rough and full of trees in about 2.5 hours. Just insane.

• Moderators
Thaddeus Smith, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:34 PM, said:Thaddeus Smith, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:34 PM, said:Thaddeus Smith, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:34 PM, said:Thaddeus Smith, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:34 PM, said:

Max2, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:31 PM, said:Max2, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:31 PM, said:Max2, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:31 PM, said:Max2, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:31 PM, said: but I would keep them from cutting an actual pasture, 

yeah, i have access to my father in law's kubota for that. 

I love my Kubota tractor, 6' finishing mower and front end loader, It's what I use to cut the grass.

I love cutting grass, it has a cup holder and a roof for shade.

I put in my earbuds with sound deadening headphone style ear protection over them and cut away for hours with a cold drink, my wife just laugh's at me as I ride around the yard comfortably numb and relaxing.    

Now it did cost almost 3x what a really good mower cost and it is not as fast cutting but it's used for way more and will outlast me. it better

I couldn't relax at 12- 17 mph, I would be paranoid, it would be like driving a sports car in and out of trees  :o  :blush2:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Ferris is another good brand, but I don't know how competitive their pricing is for their lower non commercial line.

I demo'ed multiple Ferris's. You can spend nearly 6 grand on one and you just get a boring machine with tiny front wheels. The 3100Z is where it's at. Of course they're like 12 grand too. Otherwise, get a Bad Boy and put one of those Northern Tool suspension seats on it. Those seems to be the best bang for the buck unless you're going all out.

Got a few guys running the Badboys here and they're built just up the road north of me. Tough mowers with some cool features, but their decks don't seem to cut as well as the other big names.  When you look at them they don't seem to have any engineering to create suction, just a square deck, but they are very thick and durable decks.

Thaddeus Smith, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:34 PM, said:

Max2, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:31 PM, said: but I would keep them from cutting an actual pasture, 

yeah, i have access to my father in law's kubota for that. 

I love my Kubota tractor, 6' finishing mower and front end loader, It's what I use to cut the grass.

I love cutting grass, it has a cup holder and a roof for shade.

I put in my earbuds with sound deadening headphone style ear protection over them and cut away for hours with a cold drink, my wife just laugh's at me as I ride around the yard comfortably numb and relaxing.    

Amen to that.  There sure are many days I wish I was out of the office and riding my old Ford 4000 or my mower. The smell of cut grass, tunes, fresh air...some days the little things seem to be what makes the world go round.

• Like 1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!