What I Got Today!

Brac

Ok, maybe I should put a remark or two here.

1. I am new to the forum. But I know that some people at forums in general can respond with dislike when mentioning any other brand. In this case any speaker that is not Klipsch. Reading through the forum posts for some time, I did get impression that is not the case here and that members are pretty decent folks willing to help. That is why I decided to register here.
  2. On some forums there are usually some general/introductory rules to follow (which may include the issues as above), but I did not find any on this forum. So I do not know if I broke any rules if I did not read them.  I rely on my common sense and just try to follow the spirit here.
  3. At the time when I read the Schu response I was not at the computer. Otherwise I would ask Schu for a clarification via Personal Message. The only thing I had was a small smartphone which is very cumbersome to manage, so I put a simple post.
  4. I was excited with new speakers I got. That is the first new thing in years that refreshes my stereo system, and I thought I might put opinion about them from my perspective. Of course that I will still be looking for my Heresies in the future. It is just that until now I haven’t got a chance even to listen to them. I only read about them.
  5. I also think that it is not a good idea to be very serious all of the time. I do that at work, and forum is for fun, especially this “What I got today” thread.
  6. Stay well…

I see nothing wrong with your post of your speakers.  We here at the Klipsch forum welcome you with open arms.  There are lots of folks who have different brands of speakers.  Keep on Keeping on man,

• Like 1

• Moderators

1. I am new to the forum. But I know that some people at forums in general can respond with dislike when mentioning any other brand. In this case any speaker that is not Klipsch. Reading through the forum posts for some time, I did get impression that is not the case here and that members are pretty decent folks willing to help. That is why I decided to register here.
  2. On some forums there are usually some general/introductory rules to follow (which may include the issues as above), but I did not find any on this forum. So I do not know if I broke any rules if I did not read them.  I rely on my common sense and just try to follow the spirit here.
  3. At the time when I read the Schu response I was not at the computer. Otherwise I would ask Schu for a clarification via Personal Message. The only thing I had was a small smartphone which is very cumbersome to manage, so I put a simple post.
  4. I was excited with new speakers I got. That is the first new thing in years that refreshes my stereo system, and I thought I might put opinion about them from my perspective. Of course that I will still be looking for my Heresies in the future. It is just that until now I haven’t got a chance even to listen to them. I only read about them.
  5. I also think that it is not a good idea to be very serious all of the time. I do that at work, and forum is for fun, especially this “What I got today” thread.
  6. Stay well…

How are those Qbs sounding?  From what I have heard they sound pretty good for the price.  I think when you hear a pair of Heresy speakers would will have a great point of reference in what a small size horn driven speaker can do.  Heresey should be about 10 times more efficient then your Qbs, it will be interested as to what you think the comparison between the two is the the bass end. 

The real key is the sensitivity of the two speakers.  The Qbs are about 89 as I recall, and the Heresy's are going to be about 98 or 99db sensitive.  Which, as you know, are going to produce a much greater amount of sound at same power level.  All things being equal, at 1 watt, the Heresys will sound 10x louder than the Qbs.  I am not sure how the 4 ohm impedance of the Qbs with the 8 ohm impedance of the Heresy is going to effect that.  

Are you able to play the Qbs up to a volume of your liking?  You should have plenty of power to get them where you want to be.  I have heard that many used Qbs have hole or tears in the EMIT tweeter material.  You may want to take a close look at that to see if there are any problems.

Travis

1.  forum is for fun, especially this “What I got today” thread.

That's why I started it for,  thanks for noticing   :D   It really has been a fun thread to follow.

Edited by Brac

I got a  pair of RF-82's and a Harmon Kardon  from Southern Maine for $300!.

but, but.......     :( So much for my travel plan tomorrow.....

On the bright side, you can finally get rid of those khorns :)

Edited by Brac
  • Like 1

I got a DC power supply, cleaning out dads garage found it buried under a ton of crap, he said toss it I said no I will test it and sure enough it works fine. Now I am set to test pretty much anything up to 14 volts / 30 amps dc :D Of course I have nothing to test  :(  still be a cool piece to have around never know might find some dc audio components i need to test

• Like 1

Great score! 

I'll take them, for half what you paid for them, of course.  Isn't that how you play this game?  :P

+++

Seriously, what's the story?  And are you going to keep them, flip them, or just plug and play them for a while?  It sounds like you did good.

Edited by wvu80

Great score! 

I'll take them, for half what you paid for them, of course.  Isn't that how you play this game?  :P

+++

Seriously, what's the story?  And are you going to keep them, flip them, or just plug and play them for a while?  It sounds like you did good.

I was busting on BRAC. He had removed the ad after he posted it and later decided he was going to buy them himself.

• Like 1

Picked up the Craigslist RF-82's from the alert section.  (I alerted then decided to buy)

They need some fabreeze and a bit more wipe down, but other wise great shape. The clunking sound inside one speaker was a batman car and a toy knife. They set the price, not me :)

somebody needs to tell me how to post links to outside pics, and how to rotate......

post-26210-0-51210000-1422147157_thumb.j

Edited by Brac
  • Like 2

6. Stay well…

How are those Qbs sounding?  From what I have heard they sound pretty good for the price.  I think when you hear a pair of Heresy speakers would will have a great point of reference in what a small size horn driven speaker can do.  Heresey should be about 10 times more efficient then your Qbs, it will be interested as to what you think the comparison between the two is the the bass end. 

The real key is the sensitivity of the two speakers.  The Qbs are about 89 as I recall, and the Heresy's are going to be about 98 or 99db sensitive.  Which, as you know, are going to produce a much greater amount of sound at same power level.  All things being equal, at 1 watt, the Heresys will sound 10x louder than the Qbs.  I am not sure how the 4 ohm impedance of the Qbs with the 8 ohm impedance of the Heresy is going to effect that.  

Are you able to play the Qbs up to a volume of your liking?  You should have plenty of power to get them where you want to be.  I have heard that many used Qbs have hole or tears in the EMIT tweeter material.  You may want to take a close look at that to see if there are any problems.

Travis

The Qbs are sounding quite differently than my RF42 IIs (this is the only valid comparison that I can make at this moment).

They share the detailed sound, especially in high section.

RFs are quite sharp in my room but still harmonious, while Qbs are much mellower, “old-school”. They remind me of British sound speakers, just more clear on highs. It also might have something to do with the age of the speakers. Tweeter in RFs is no slouch, but the one in QB is sweeter and provides more detail in higher tones. The biggest difference between the two speakers to my ears is bass. Qbs have real bass which is almost too powerful in my smallish room. There are a lot more details in it comparing to RFs. I would say that the weakest point in Qb is mid driver, but capacitor for midrange driver at this age probably should be replaced, which will brighten up the mid-section and provide more details in those frequencies.

Horizontal dispersion of the sound waves are of much more difference than other less audible issues in my room. I had quite narrow sweet spot with RFs, while QB fills the room in much wider range.

I have no problem driving Qbs with Onkyo 8050. While I needed to turn my volume knob at 15 on the scale with RF42s, I need only a bit more - let’s say 18-20 to achieve the same amount of sound with Qbs. In 1200 sq feet room where I auditioned Qbs at the time of purchase, I needed to turn them up to 45-55, so I think the driving power will not be a problem at all :) . I know that Heresies should be much better in terms of efficiency, but I have no need to push either of them that high.

EMITs are in great shape as all drivers are on my pair of Qbs. Otherwise I would not even look at them in the first place. I went tu the seller, checked the speakers, let them run for an hour and a half. Concluded the deal only whan satisfied :D . Only visible deficiencies are wear markings on top back angles of the cabinets.

Edited by parlophone1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!