"Help" I may have screwed up ordering RF-7iis

gavijo70

I just placed an Amazon order for 2 rf-7iis after hearing a pair in my sons university common room. but I may be in trouble because of my lack of understanding on power levels. My own research has not answered the questions as all forums read, say different things.  I just recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR555 AVR recently and I don't know if this receiver will be enough to power these speakers. the receivers power rating is 140W/(6ohms) 80W/ch (8ohms) I don't know what that means exactly. I do listen loud sometimes but not ear bleeding levels. Replacing the receiver or purchasing an amp is not in the budget right now after buying these speakers. Help please.. I sold my beloved vintage JBL L65 Jubals to buy these. Will this receiver power these on a 2.1 setup? at least temporarily until I can  afford to upgrade to a better receiver with higher power ratings? I don't want to under power and damage these speakers.. thanks for your help.

I think you will be fine, especially if you're only driving the RF7lls.  The RF7lls have a much better sensitivity rating and should be easier to power than the JBLs. What were you powering the JBLs with? Will you eventually add a center and surround sound speakers? 

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with these....keep us informed with your impressions. 

And by the way....Welcome :D

gavijo70,

Welcome to the forum.

I say don't back off buying the RF-7II's because of your choice of AVR.  The Onkyo will be just fine(to a point) unless you have a huge room, trying to power 7+ channels, and you like the volume at crazy loud levels.  

Once you add a subwoofer(2.1) to the mix you will relieve the Onkyo from having to do a portion of the heavy lifting and all should suffice until your budget permits if you want to replace the Onkyo.

Bill

• Moderators

You’ll be totally fine with your receiver for now. You at least don’t have to worry about damaging anything. I ran my RF 83  ( which were the predecessor to the RF7ii) for quite awhile with a Harman Kardon AVR55 and it was only 55 watts per channel.   It wasn’t until I begin adding more speakers at the HK began to struggle.

So now you can relax, sit back, and anticipate the arrival of the beastly RF7ii.  Welcome to the club my friend.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the answers. I got a little more than paranoid reading some online forums. I was the envy of my neighborhood for years with those Jubals. I ran them as just a 2.0 with an older Denon receiver until I decided I wanted HDMI and networking capabilities. So I went shopping for a new receiver and settled on the onkyo.  I followed the advice of the Best buy salesman who said this receiver was the best bang for the buck. It will work for my needs I guess for now. But it's a learning experience for me for sure. My budget for a receiver was much more than I paid for this at the time. I wish I had researched and educated myself a little more. I would have opted for a higher end receiver.

19 minutes ago, gavijo70 said:

Thank you all for the answers. I got a little more than paranoid reading some online forums. I was the envy of my neighborhood for years with those Jubals. I ran them as just a 2.0 with an older Denon receiver until I decided I wanted HDMI and networking capabilities. So I went shopping for a new receiver and settled on the onkyo.  I followed the advice of the Best buy salesman who said this receiver was the best bang for the buck. It will work for my needs I guess for now. But it's a learning experience for me for sure. My budget for a receiver was much more than I paid for this at the time. I wish I had researched and educated myself a little more. I would have opted for a higher end receiver.

You will again be the envy of your neighborhood when the RF7lls arrive, even more so.

8 hours ago, gavijo70 said:

I just recently purchased an Onkyo TX-NR555 AVR recently and I don't know if this receiver will be enough to power these speakers. the receivers power rating is 140W/(6ohms) 80W/ch (8ohms) I don't know what that means exactly.

The effective power rating is 80 watts into 2 channels.  That "140 watts" is into ONE channel which is very misleading to consumers IMO.  Nobody runs speakers into one channel.

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR555-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B01CZW7H4M

If you find you need more power you CANNOT add additional amps as your unit does NOT have pre-outs.

The good news is the Onk has plenty of features and works well with Klipsch. I had a Onk 717 and loved the sound.   The bad news is it is a bit underpowered and more amps cannot be added.  You don't need more power to make the RF-7's louder, what you need is more dynamic power, more punch from soft to loud.

If you can return it and pay a little more for another unit I think you could get something with more horsepower.  People here can find "deals" like you can't believe.

Let's do it like this.  RF7ii have a sensitivity rating of 101db with 1 watt of power at 1 meter away.

So a single watt of power pushes 101db.  Every 3db increase in sound will double the watts of power used

101db = 1 watt

104db = 2 watt

107db = 4 watt

111db = 8 watt

113db = 16 watt

117 db = 32 watt

121 db = 64 watt

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Let's do it like this.  RF7ii have a sensitivity rating of 101db with 1 watt of power at 1 meter away.

So a single watt of power pushes 101db.  Every 3db increase in sound will double the watts of power used

101db = 1 watt

104db = 2 watt

107db = 4 watt

111db = 8 watt

113db = 16 watt

117 db = 32 watt

121 db = 64 watt

You have to account for a greater distance than 1 meter, in a typical room.  A reasonable listening distance would be 4 meters.  I just did the calculation and gavijo70 would still have 8 dB headroom over THX peak level of 105 dB for main speakers (sub powered separately), which is quite a bit.  I'd "show my work," but the server failed twice, taking my text with it, and will probably fail again.

P.S.  Was the server down from Saturday night through midday Sunday, or is it me?

• Like 1

Just my experience.

I had the RF-82's and ran them off of my Denon 4311ci for a few years. Its rated at 140 watts x 9. Of course they say that like all receiver manufacturers  (they play with semantics on numbers). Running 9 speakers I was probably getting 80-100 watts tops. They sounded PHENOMENAL!

I have an arraignment with neighbors for blockbuster levels once a week and I DO TAKE FULL advantage of that. On my Denon I was listening at +10 to +15.

After some research on getting some separates a tech support here at Klipsch recommended Emotiva. So I bought a 7 channel @ 200 watts. Everything changed when I put that in an re-ran the Audyssey. WOW!!!! 

Now on blockbuster nights I can barely go past -10!

The depth and detail and dynamic range was night and day!

Few months ago I upgraded to the RF-7 which I've always wanted, but the killer prices I couldn't pass it up.

Being that it has dual 10"s I opted and ordered another Emotiva 3 channel at 300 watts to feed my LCR

I already know there won't be a night and day difference, but will have much more headroom and can set my cross over at 60Hz and get more out of the woofers, since woofers use up a LOT more watts.

So you pretty much got forever speakers. Will it work with your amp, absolutely. But as a previous post mentioned that there are no pre-outs, thats the down side as you can not upgrade to separates later down the line.

I am a firm believer that more is always better

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 12:20 PM, SDDP said:

Just my experience.

I had the RF-82's and ran them off of my Denon 4311ci for a few years. Its rated at 140 watts x 9. Of course they say that like all receiver manufacturers  (they play with semantics on numbers). Running 9 speakers I was probably getting 80-100 watts tops. They sounded PHENOMENAL!

I have an arraignment with neighbors for blockbuster levels once a week and I DO TAKE FULL advantage of that. On my Denon I was listening at +10 to +15.

After some research on getting some separates a tech support here at Klipsch recommended Emotiva. So I bought a 7 channel @ 200 watts. Everything changed when I put that in an re-ran the Audyssey. WOW!!!! 

Now on blockbuster nights I can barely go past -10!

The depth and detail and dynamic range was night and day!

Few months ago I upgraded to the RF-7 which I've always wanted, but the killer prices I couldn't pass it up.

Being that it has dual 10"s I opted and ordered another Emotiva 3 channel at 300 watts to feed my LCR

I already know there won't be a night and day difference, but will have much more headroom and can set my cross over at 60Hz and get more out of the woofers, since woofers use up a LOT more watts.

So you pretty much got forever speakers. Will it work with your amp, absolutely. But as a previous post mentioned that there are no pre-outs, thats the down side as you can not upgrade to separates later down the line.

I am a firm believer that more is always better

It's funny you mentioned the denon4311 ci. I just layed out 4 bills for the same receiver on the bay to replace the onkyo.  It's pushing my rf7iis phenomenaly. I will be getting an extra amp when finances allow. I also have an inside track on some powered rp3s that I'm considering for rear channels or just using them as subs. Any thoughts on that?

On Thursday, November 09, 2017 at 7:00 AM, gavijo70 said:

It's funny you mentioned the denon4311 ci. I just layed out 4 bills for the same receiver on the bay to replace the onkyo.  It's pushing my rf7iis phenomenaly. I will be getting an extra amp when finances allow. I also have an inside track on some powered rp3s that I'm considering for rear channels or just using them as subs. Any thoughts on that?

The RP3 are towers no?

I would never use towers for subs. Subs are design for one thing and one thing only, to play LFE only and not Freq up to 20k

For surrounds that would be a personal choice and its subjective.

However getting separates for the RF-7 changes EVERYTHING. 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, gavijo70 said:

powered rp3s that I'm considering for rear channels or just using them as subs. Any thoughts on that?

The RP3 and other like models by Klipsch have their own specific use, in their own right. There are at least two factors that work for owners.

The specs on the sheet and the Klipsch label attached to the speaker.

Good fortune