Terrain Avoidance Testing

USNRET

19 hours ago, USNRET said:

Meh, I favor the F-22 but I have some slight prejudice after flight testing 160 of them.

Why did General Mike Hostage say that an F-35 pilot "that entered a dog fight had made a mistake"?  Isn't it an F-16 replacement? 

19 hours ago, USNRET said:

Meh, I favor the F-22 but I have some slight prejudice after flight testing 160 of them.

Why did General Mike Hostage say that an F-35 pilot "that entered a dog fight had made a mistake"?  Isn't it an F-16 replacement? 

• Moderators

Love videos like that, must be cool to be close to and work on jets like those. Would love to ride on one, probably need the bag and a diaper just to be safe, but it would be a ride of a lifetime.

Need to look up and find out when the next airshow is in town, it's been years. 

I have only flown a few times and nothing like that at all, but Terrain Avoidance Testing, sounds like a really good thing at those speeds.

:huh:

I dunno.  Seems like the F-16 is so much cheaper by comparison, and is good enough at multi-role, no?  When it comes to doing the job - air to air and air to ground most effectively it's about the whole package (avionics, weapons tech).  If I get a A-A lock from a distance and fire before you ever know I'm there, it's a win whether I'm in an old F-16 or a fancy new F-35 or F-22 :D  We're doing something wrong if it becomes a close range dog fight.

Then dropping such simple technology like JDAM, retrofitted dumb bombs with inexpensive GPS guided targeting and maneuvering (WAY cheaper than TV/Laser guided, and way more accurate than the classic dumb bomb) from 35k feet, no need for a clear site to target or to stick around the area.  Plug in the coordinates, bombs away in the correct window and bug out.  Got to watch that from China Lake in the 90's since we were the first weapons crew to load up live JDAMs.  It was remarkably accurate.

The F-35 project seems like a bit of a fail in terms of teething issues and exceeding planned costs.  

Don't get me wrong, I love the new technology and it is key if we expect to maintain air superiority.  

• dtel changed the title to Terrain Avoidance Testing

I'm and old Airborne Infantryman, and I like the A-10 best...before the A-10 came along, I liked the F-4 Phantom best...grunts tend to best like what is best for them to have around when the SHTF!.   Just saying....

Besides, we have not really had a problem attaining and maintaining air superiority when in conflicts in a very long time!  The REAL "proof in the pudding" comes out when that is NOT the case!  But, until then we will not really know whether we have made a mistake in what we decided to aquire for our military...case in point, the Humvee, another is the TOW and Dragon wire-guided missile systems...and the one that threw common sense way out into left field was the Davey Crockett missile system...like we REALLY needed a man-portable short range nuke and would SURVIVE the results when it was touched off!  LOL!

A close friend of mine was Airborne in the 80's.

The Warthog with that 30mm gatlin must be a welcome sight on the battlefield (for the good guys).  The F-4 Phantom lead sled did some good low level stuff. F-111 Aardvark was pretty good at that too.  High speed  terrain following, loaded up with the HAARM missile to knock out those sam sites.  What a crazy job that must be.  F-111 and F-4 were still active when I was in.  F-111 would come back from a sortie missing most of the paint from the leading edge of the wings.  Too much friction from the dense air down on the ground at speed :D  Maybe it was just crappy paint haha.

I'm glad as a weapons puke I didn't have to work on the A-10.  Way too many weapons hardpoints, it would probably take me all day to fully load out a 4x sortie.  I almost went for a job on the spectre, even though I would have been shoveling brass pretty much the whole time it would have been interesting.

I hear you, who knows if we're making the right military choices, I hope we never have to find out.

Cool stuff @USNRET.  Closest I ever got to any of this hardware was when I got to tour the Nimitz back in high school.  My buddy's Dad was the head of Air Traffic Control and the Fire Department.  We got the special tour.  She was docked in Bremerton with a bunch of guys hanging off the side slapping some Navy grey on her hull.  Got to see a lot places many civilians don't get to. 

Went all over the ship.  I can't describe the enormity of this vessel.  We toured the ATC room, went to the decks where they stored the aircraft, wings folded up, some choppers, and big arse elevators.  Got to see the launching mechanisms, Captain's Mess Hall, etc.  Standing on the flight deck was crazy, you could see forever, seemed like anyway.  I think it was 12 stories above water level and 3 or so below.  Looking off the edge of the deck definitely kicked in the vertigo.

What I do remember most is cracking my head on one of the 'hang' bars by the steps/ladders between decks.  I knew they were used for quick decent to the deck below, but man, don't lean back too much when ascending them.  All in all, I dug the experience.  It was surreal.  She wasn't as fully loaded as in the pic but awe inspiring for sure.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.9bb279ac3c80290ba5f3f12c92845943.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, USNRET said:

I had a chance to go for a ride in the late 80s. Flying scared me to death so I didn't go. They told me I would get sick on the ground in a simulator and puke in my mask when they turned it straight up. Didn't sound like a lot of fun. Now I go to the airshow and wish......

How would you like to be on the ground in these Mid east wars and see a few of these coming at you? All you can do is kiss your *** goodbye

Mark

When the Typhoon first came out it was state of the art...a great aircraft...kinda hard to believe that it came from a design/manufacturing consortium that originally consisted of the UK, W. Germany, and Italy, but that was who was initially involved...lots of hard points...can carry and deliver a wide variety of ordnance!  Keep in mind that pitch and yaw tricks are the forte of most canard-equipped fighters.  The same goes for most modern vectored-thrust fighters!  The "Typhoon" moniker goes all the way back to WWII, and in those days it was designated as a naval fighter aircraft.