Was Heresy the First Sealed Speaker

ishwash

Am I getting this correct? Was our hero's Heresy the first sealed speaker? If so then Mr. Klipsch already knew sealing speaker enclosures worked to some degree? He could have patented it and thwarted AR.

In the 60's and 70's AR's bookshelf speaker took us improperly toward "smaller is better" even ultimately toward Bose's aiming small speakers "at you" to impress you. Klipsch certainly knew you could aim speakers at the listener and convince the listener the speakers were somehow superior. He should have maybe patented something there as well.

Paul Klipsch wasn't even about to do smaller, huh?

Is a Heresy a truly sealed speaker?  The first time I took the back off a Heresy to see the absence of a gasket or seal between the back and the battens attached  to the glue bocks, or horns to the motorboard, I asked a Klipsch rep that question.  The answer was, “It’s sealed enough.”

To answer your question, it’s my understanding that “sealed” speakers were available well before Heresy.  IMO, it was not a design that PWK originated or that he could have patented.

It’s my understanding Heresy was the first sealed, i.e., not ported or horn loaded speaker sold by Klipsch, but not the first sealed speaker.

Interesting...in the past you didn't have to be the first, you just had to be the first with the patent application...the telephone is a good example...but I don't really know if there were patents backing up AR's sealed speakers...maybe there weren't.

Really interesting speaker history resides with this little Klipsch speaker. And Claude discovered it performs better ported. You know the professional series of the Heresy was ported, but ported to the front not the rear as Claude does them.

First of all, it's not just a matter of sticking a rear port in a stock Heresy.  Claude's Heretical Heresy mod involves a crossover change, a woofer driver change,  and addition of internal cabinet damping.  I own the original (and best) pair.

• Like 1

You own those, dirtmud? Are those sealed, ported, passive woofer,  or what? Pretty cool set of old timey speakers.

Wonder if a person could use the folded horn portion of a Khorn as a subwoofer for a Heresy pair to give it just a bit of boost on the low end??

3 hours ago, ishwash said:

Carl, search for Claude's thread "Super Heresy 1" in Technical/Modifications, and you will see all his mods to the Heresy I. Smile...yesterday I knew nothing about them...today, not so dumb! hehheh  

I provided the link in my post......

39 minutes ago, ishwash said:

You own those, dirtmud? Are those sealed, ported, passive woofer,  or what? Pretty cool set of old timey speakers.

Wonder if a person could use the folded horn portion of a Khorn as a subwoofer for a Heresy pair to give it just a bit of boost on the low end??

No those are not mine....but they are sealed.....

42 minutes ago, ishwash said:

• Like 1

There were many, many sealed speakers before either the Heresy or the AR.  Bozak, etc.  They were called Infinite Baffle and were generally large.  Sometimes, people would use the whole next room as the sealed container.  The ARs were pretty muddy sounding, due to needing too much cone excursion.  The AR 1 required 22 times the amplifier as a Klipschorn to produce a sound of equal loudness.  The Bozaks sounded much better, due to larger woofers, up to 4 of them, and bigger boxes. 

image.png.1f6702032e1ee7c15eab8eaa66b84813.png

Guest wdecho
9 hours ago, garyrc said:

There were many, many sealed speakers before either the Heresy or the AR.  Bozak, etc.  They were called Infinite Baffle and were generally large.  Sometimes, people would use the whole next room as the sealed container.  The ARs were pretty muddy sounding, due to needing too much cone excursion.  The AR 1 required 22 times the amplifier as a Klipschorn to produce a sound of equal loudness.  The Bozaks sounded much better, due to larger woofers, up to 4 of them, and bigger boxes. 

image.png.1f6702032e1ee7c15eab8eaa66b84813.png

Bozak's were fine speakers and still command high prices in the used market. Different philosophy than PWK but never the less quality speakers. Heresy's basically uses the same principle but toned down with one efficient bass speaker and a relatively large box with horns for mids and highs. When you put 4 big woofers in a big cabinet you will have good bass reproduction. AR's used a new principle of a floppy woofer and depended on a small sealed cabinet for any kind of loading to get any kind of decent bass. Size was their marketing principle being that audiophile speakers of the time were relative large. Drawback of acoustic suspension was the need for high (35 watts of power was considered high when they were introduced) power to reach any kind of sound level. I bought a pair of AR-3's back then. Dull speakers with no dynamics compared to horn speakers. To my knowledge no one produces the floppy acoustic suspension type speakers anymore. Music is all about dynamics. Serious listeners who enjoy the sensation of being at a live performance understand this. 

AR and the use of stupid bookshelf speakers gave the housewife ammo to get rid of the monsters that she didn't want in the living room, Bose completed the housewife march toward small.

Guys, just because speakers were placed in boxes doesn't mean they were sealed. Before RTV (silicone) one had to rely on precision cuts and glue and granted fit had been being accomplished for years in the furniture industry (at high cost), but when GE discovered RTV and placed it on the market anybody could seal a speaker,

AR was the first to brag about sealing their cabinets, and they ended up with more market share than anyone, certainly more than Klipsch and for a good long time. Yes, AR's required more power, that is why I never bought an AR, but a whole lot of people did. I never knew anyone, even in my engineer crowd, who thought they could afford a Bozak, (or a Klipsch for that matter). I am just saying Paul Klipsch must have known sealed speakers offered some sort of advantage that would have enabled him to grow the hell out of his company, and he had already built the little speaker that he could have done it with, and maybe he could have sold me and people like me a speaker with those cool little PWK badges on them so that I wouldn't have to wait until I was moderately wealthy to buy one.

While I am at it: Instead of all of us going back to stereo and the dratted hum of a tube-powered amplifier (anybody know of a Dynaco Stereo 70 that did not hum?) why don't we go all the way back to mono I mean all those old tube amps had a mono switches, that way everybody could have bought a Khorn and sat it in the only corner of their living area that had a corner to put a Khorn into. How could that not have produced excellent sound in a living room! 

And turntables...now people have returned to those damn things that wear out your vinyl as its being played...who has never bumped his tone arm and scratched his favorite song, or who has never had his kid pick up a vinyl album with dirty, grease-laden hands? I am SHURE people are again stuck in the loop of having to have the latest and greatest cartridge for their latest and greatest, lightest tone-arm turntable! Yuk! And most all of them wowed and fluttered...smile...

This is mostly tongue in cheek, but I meant it about going mono...I could get used to hearing my music on one corner-installed Khorn in my living room, and if I thought I needed a tube amp switch the sucker to mono, heck I could even put my big ole TV above it and play it through my single Khorn. I might even put a sub there so movies would be "killer". If you go mono, you might at last be able to justify owning a Khorn.

I wonder if it would be difficult to even buy Klipsch speakers singularly?