Ideas and OT comments about future RIP threads

Dave A

I had to change my location because it was offensive to some. My take on this is that while I have great sympathy for his end he is a very polarizing figure and  this topic should be ended period. There are too many hard feelings on both side for it to ever remain civil so why put the temptation out there?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I had to change my location because it was offensive to some. My take on this is that while I have great sympathy for his end he is a very polarizing figure and  this topic should be ended period. There are too many hard feelings on both side for it to ever remain civil so why put the temptation out there?

Well, apparently, you just don't get it.  So what if there are "hard feelings" on both sides?  If you can't get past those hard feelings to demonstrate respect for the man, then I feel sorry for you.  People on this forum gush over musicians and actors when they pass away, but do they ever take the time to think about the politics and politicians those people supported?  No, it's all about "When I say him/her in concert in Chicago",  or "What a great song",  or, "He/she was great on that TV show",   WTF.  

Being asked to change your location from an obvious, blatantly named political statement is small potatoes when compared to what has transpired in the past on this forum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

People on this forum gush over musicians and actors when they pass away, but do they ever take the time to think about the politics and politicians those people supported? 

Spot on! I never understood grown men spending so much time talking about performances of others when there are more important things to talk about. That said, I don't think about professional athletes at all but appreciate musicians and artists more than most. 

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

I tried that.  The thread was locked because some felt that they had to make a political statement, rather than a statement of respect.  Sad, but true.

The moderators could simply delete any comment(s) other than "RIP". Those who wished to could post and leave the message space "blank" if they felt any other way. That way folks on both sides can express themselves with out the need to engage in an argument at a time when some will feel sorrow. All people on all sides feel the need to express their feelings and to be heard or acknowledged and that should be possible so long as we can respect one another.

It is always better to abstain from posting if you have nothing positive to say. When feelings run high some feel it difficult to not express themselves. This would accommodate those people and still allow others who want to show their respects to do so. We don't have to agree but we need to get along.

Mr. @rebuy was just making a small bit of subtle, dry humor, there's nothing wrong with him.

The give-away was his referring to his counter-argument "they don't make them that way anymore" with the retort (paraphrasing) "yes they do, they make them more 'Virile' (in caps").  Yes, he was just messing around.  It's inappropriate hillbilly humor, I do the same thing, usually with the same misunderstandings.  :rolleyes:

When you have to explain your humor, it probably wasn't all that funny to begin with and trust me, I've had to do a lot of 'splaining in my day.  B)

3 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Thanks for defending me, I chose not to respond as people take themselves to serious.

If I might defend Mr. @jimjimbo for just a moment, I can see where this sad passing is a very sobering and deeply felt sentiment.  I can respect that.

Whatever his reaction to your comments, even though you might not feel the same about this event I hope you can understand that he might feel that way and forgive any reaction on his part.  None of us are perfect in always understanding others on a discussion forum.

5 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

What are you smoking? 

@rebuy and I are from the same neck of the woods.  I thought I could interpret because we both speak redneck.  It can take some getting used to but he's a good egg.   B)

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

If I might defend Mr. @jimjimbo for just a moment, I can see where this sad passing is a very sobering and deeply felt sentiment.  I can respect that.

Whatever his reaction to your comments, even though you might not feel the same about this event I hope you can understand that he might feel that way and forgive any reaction on his part.  None of us are perfect in always understanding others on a discussion forum.

I don't need nor desire you to "defend" me.  Your fellow self serving redneck hillbilly egg needs all the help he can get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The new hero is the draft dodger, just like the old villain.

Didn't draft dodgers have to make a trek to Canada and learn to say their A,B,C ending in Zed not Z? Pretty sure the well connected/rich had bone spurs, or such, and did not make the run across the border on account of their tender feet. Then again I was a bit younger than most of you old farts (Sharts see hippo post) so didn't really experience that first hand. I was lighting my G.I. Joe on fire with my Cox airplane fuel when all that was going down.

Yeah I know I hope he made it to Heaven but I have my doubts since not everyone gets to go there. But to place on a pedestal someone with his sordid past I can pass on. Google is easy to use and it is easy to find out lots of things about him for people who wish to seek and know the truth. Rather than get in the dirt and get all huffy and offended I prefer to just stay away and not praise him. RIP and his episode is over.

I read the emails forwarded about why we should not vote for the current MIC.  Then once he won the primary, they came flooding in about how the same person simply has to be elected.  Then once elected, and a guy voted against a certain bill, the emails came in with the hatchet job about of all things his marital past.  Just don't examine the MIC marital past and infidelities.  The hypocrisy is appalling.  Truth?  Well there is a movie line about that.