Is this common? I am hearing new things in music I know well (or so I thought...)

Oicu812

I'm listening to some Eagles this morning, and I am hearing some subtle things, riffs under the main melody line that I haven't heard before, some "flourishes", things like that. 

Is this a common thing that happens around here?  You get into some decent Klipsch, and suddenly music you thought you knew well "comes to life", and starts giving you a new level of sound?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Welcome to klipsch. What are you running? Klipsch speakers will bring out sounds you have never heard before compared to cheaper speakers. They will do amazing things to good recordings, and bring out flaws in bad recordings.

Nothing outlandish, a pair of KG4's on front right and left, a pair of @ClaudeJ1 Super Heresy for the mids, and KP-101's for the back right and left.  The Onkyo 7.1 surround amp can be set to send stereo signals to all speakers, so I do that for the music.  Then I don't have to change anything when watching a movie in surround.  I think I will put the supers as the primary R-L, and relegate the KG's to the middle surround position.  Or maybe the KP-101's in the mid spot, and the KG's to the back R-L. 

I don't know, what do you all think?

(BTW, I am in LOVE with the Super Heresy pair!  Just amazing...)

27 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I'm listening to some Eagles this morning, and I am hearing some subtle things, riffs under the main melody line that I haven't heard before, some "flourishes", things like that. 

Is this a common thing that happens around here?  You get into some decent Klipsch, and suddenly music you thought you knew well "comes to life", and starts giving you a new level of sound?

Pretty common in my rigs.  Better recordings with gear and speakers that bring out more resolution and a lower noise floor can contribute to these changes.  When I first heard "I Can't Tell You Why" by the Eagles in my living room rig with my Yamaha gear and RB-75's, I heard nuances and layers in the music that I had never noticed before.  This has happened more than once with other artists and recordings.

Bill

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Nothing outlandish, a pair of KG4's on front right and left, a pair of @ClaudeJ1 Super Heresy for the the mids, and KP-101's for the back right and left.  The Onkyo 7.1 surround amp can be set to send stereo signals to all speakers, so I do that for the music.  Then I don't have to change anything when watching a movie in surround.  I think I will put the supers as the primary R-L, and relegate the KG's to the middle surround position.  Or maybe the KP-101's in the mid spot, and the KG's to the back R-L. 

I don't know, what do you all think?

(BTW, I am in LOVE with the Super Heresy pair!  Just amazing...)

Looks like you have lots of setup options. Which tweeters in the Supers??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

Pretty common in my rigs.  Better recordings with gear and speakers that bring out more resolution and a lower noise floor can contribute to these changes.  When I first heard "I Can't Tell You Why" by the Eagles in my living room rig with my Yamaha gear and RB-75's, I heard nuances and layers in the music that I had never noticed before.  This has happened more than once with other artists and recordings.

Bill

I just did "Black Water" - Doobie Brothers, and I see what you are saying about the layers and nuances.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Remember, I modded the Heresys into Super Heresys for the MIDRANGE where we live.

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Remember, I modded the Heresys into Super Heresys for the MIDRANGE where we live.

You certainly did.  I can testify to that.  I appreciate your efforts on a daily basis now.  (I am now looking for Cornwalls locally, in anticipation of your new mod...)

A pic with the KP-101 on top of the Super Heresy!

Heresy_and_KP101.jpg

4 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

You certainly did.  I can testify to that.  I appreciate your efforts on a daily basis now.  (I am now looking for Cornwalls locally, in anticipation of your new mod...)

Here's a teaser photo for you. Hope to put you in the drool mode, so wear a lobster bib. LOL.

SuperCornwall.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

I just did "Black Water" - Doobie Brothers, and I see what you are saying about the layers and nuances.  Interesting.

You won't believe the difference when you upgrade the tweeters to DE-120's and DaveA's Metal Horn Lenses (the Convex Ellipticals are the smoothest yet). I'm also working on testing the DE-110, since the 120's may not be available for long.

Yes, very much so for me.  Someone said it already, but music that is recorded well, not compressed all to hell (no dynamics) and that has a rich spectral content sounds fantastic.  I've noticed a lot of things on tracks that I'd never heard before.

They're like microscopes.  Great stuff sounds great.  Bad recordings sound worse than before.  At least that's my opinion.

• Like 3

I cannot make it through about half of the albums I have since switching to the Heritage series. Some sound the best I have experienced. Others are sound bad. The over compressed are terrible. 

I got a copy of Michael McDonald doing Motown covers somewhere. Played today for the first time. Awful!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Yes, very much so for me.  Someone said it already, but music that is recorded well, not compressed all to hell (no dynamics) and that has a rich spectral content sounds fantastic.  I've noticed a lot of things on tracks that I'd never heard before.

They're like microscopes.  Great stuff sounds great.  Bad recordings sound worse than before.  At least that's my opinion.

The better the speaker, the more it reveals greatness or crap in all recordings. That is the unfortunate part. Otherwise, everything sounds OK thought Bose speakers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

I cannot make it through about half of the albums I have since switching to the Heritage series. Some sound the best I have experienced. Others are sound bad. The over compressed are terrible. 

I got a copy of Michael McDonald doing Motown covers somewhere. Played today for the first time. Awful!!!

Your observations are correct. You can imagine how critical things are with my Jubilees!!

• Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 5:33 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

You won't believe the difference when you upgrade the tweeters to DE-120's and DaveA's Metal Horn Lenses (the Convex Ellipticals are the smoothest yet). I'm also working on testing the DE-110, since the 120's may not be available for long.

Would the K-79-K drivers from a Chorus II give the same upgrade as these that you mention?  Or are the DE models so much better?

9 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Would the K-79-K drivers from a Chorus II give the same upgrade as these that you mention?  Or are the DE models so much better?

To answer your 2 questions in the order asked:  No. Yes.

This is not a diminishing returns upgrade, this is a "get your money/time's worth" upgrade. I would have it no other way.