Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

On 1/25/2019 at 11:21 PM, Marvel said:

The 4311s, as well as the L100s, had drivers with treated paper surrounds. The foam I mentioned was to control reflectio s off the baffle. Beautiful machining on all the parts and great looking veneer. I'm glad I got the walnut and not the studio gray.

Bruce

Yeah, I wasn't too crazy about the idea of those pleated surrounds at the time, thinking they'd be stiffer than necessary.  But in retrospect...

I've got the same tweeters in mine as you have, so like I said, there's no telling what mine are like now.

@glens @Marvel - Nice to see some fellow JBL aficionados. :)

To my ears, the 44xx series connects me to the music. Currently have the 4430, 4425 and 4408. Not 44xx series, but also have the L44 with the great LE8T full range driver.

The 4430 requires the SET845 monoblocks to sound their best. The rest certainly work on the SET845s but will aslo work on the SE 300B, 2A3 and EL84 amps in residence.

Still looking for a pair of 4435s. ;)

Just my opinion. :)

More food for thought for any beginners still reading this thread (not likely, but remotely possible). 

Though not explicitly stated, the article seems to support my point that how a system sounds is determined mostly by speaker selection.

The 10 Top Lies in Audio  (begins on pg. 5)

https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf

smallpinochio.jpg